Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner

Akrapovic Full System on a 2016 DVT

15K views 46 replies 14 participants last post by  Shubz 
#1 ·
Hello,

Was wondering if anyone has gone the Akra way for the FS on 2016 DVT. Did search around, didn't find anything on this.

Would really appreciate if anyone could throw some light on this.

Was planning on a Optional Header (Titanium) E-D12E6 + Slip-On Line (Titanium) S-D12SO9-HAPT combo.

Any remapping required? Akra support says they don't have any upmap/remapp for this though they said this combo works well without any change in maps.

TIA!

#8 ·
Yes, a Rapidbike unit is a must. Exhaust manufacturers like Akrapovic and Temignoni are snake oil salespeople. They offer fuel upmaps when on contract with Ducati such as available for Panigale's yet they say you don't need fuel map adjustment for models where Termignoni is on contract and btw, vice-versa. Real POS salesmanship IMHO.

I have kept my Rapidbike unit when I traded my Panigale. It works flawlessly. I intend to re-install it on my Multistrada eventually once I remove the exhaust valve.
The set-up is simple and Rapidbike will equip the unit with a basemap that closely matches the equipment you have on your Multi. It will then self-adjust to fine tune the fueling a few hundred miles of riding thereafter.

Reactions: Shubz
#20 ·
Exhaust manufacturers like Akrapovic and Temignoni are snake oil salespeople. They offer fuel upmaps when on contract with Ducati such as available for Panigale's yet they say you don't need fuel map adjustment for models where Termignoni is on contract and btw, vice-versa. Real POS salesmanship IMHO.g thereafter.
wow ... don't hold back there DarR ... tell us how you really feel.

>:)

#7 ·
I just installed the slip-on version this weekend, the Dominator de-cat showed up Tuesday.
I'm going to hold off on the De-cat till I order the rabid bike system.

I had to trim the carbon shield also, that and I didn't use the spacers on the hanger.
If I used the spacers my side pannier would not mount.

I'm mildly disappointed in Akra since the listing clearly states they work with the panniers.

Attachments

#9 ·
This is good information. Bike is out for the 30000 km Desmo service. It sure is running lean going by the way it pops on decel. Need to figure out ways of getting this asap.

#22 ·
You can actually modify the tuned Rapidbike map withing the software. Save your map and save your tuned Rapidbike map.
Then reset your cells to zero and let it autotune again. The autotune cell adjustments should be much smaller the second time around.

BTW, a user map database would be nice.

Reactions: Shubz
#11 ·
Been very pleased with my full Akrapovic setup with RapidBike on my 2016 PP. Was hoping to get by with no remap originally, based on what the Akra reps said about it being designed for the stock mapping. Definitely found quite a bit of improvement in smoothness through the rev range, with less lag on aggressive acceleration with the RapidBike. Sound and appearance of the system are fantastic.

#16 ·
So basically, tell the rapidbike folks of what set up the bike is on, they get the map uploaded on to the Rapidbike unit and ship it. Is that understanding correct?

I wrote to one of the support id's on the website, it landed into one of the italian mail id info@rapidbike.it , I did get the initial response asking at what rpms am I encountering the popping. I gave them a few scenarios, and then haven't heard from them despite reminders.

I will probably try the US id.

#31 ·
Absolutely agree with you DarR! Ducati, and all manufacturers, do a hell'eva job making HP with all the emissions/noise regulations they have to meet. After drag racing 'street' bikes for several years, exhaust HP 'gain claims' were mostly BS. AND YES, I went to a mid-pipe & can on my '12, with ECU reflash for smoother running below 4000 and the sound. Their was more 'seat of the pants' gain by a gearing change. And yes, I dyno'ed before/after....CH gain in mid-range and the AFR numbers were perfect. Bang for the buck? Ahhh, don't think so. Would I do it againg? Absolutely, as the bike sounds stunning!

#32 · (Edited)
@3B43
Yes, stock exhausts are now very efficient given the standards imposed. Sound and also some weigh savings are the main attractions of A/M exhausts.
Did do a change on my Monster but don't intend to change the exhaust on the Multi.
Already have Tinnitus as a result of the loud Monster and my previous Panigale. I need a quieter sport touring ride.
What I may do however is to install the Rapidbike unit left over from my Panigale and disconnect the exhaust valve.
Biggest performance mods for the bucks are gear change (as you mentioned) and throttle spacers IMHO.
BTW, i'm not dissing the change in exhaust. I'm all for it if it's your one-bike ride. The sound is spectacular.

#35 · (Edited)
This is just to bust the myth (very popular among some members here) that if you install a full exhaust on Multistrada 1260 the bike will run lean. THIS IS NOT TRUE! Stock ECU perfectly compensates the difference. If nothing else, the bike is actually running a bit rich.

Setup:
Multistara 1260 PP, 2018
Akrapovic headers E-D12E4
Akrapovic slip-on S-D12SO7-HHX2T
Akrapovic Noise Damper V-TUV169Y
Rapidbike Racing for DUCATI MULTISTRADA "1260"
Rapidbike ADORI BYPASS ADAPTER

First image:
Red lines - Rapidbike Racing module removed and replaced with bypass adapter. Essentially, that's how full Akra looks without any additional modules/adjustments (just stock ECU)
Blue line - Rapidbike Racing module installed and in the process of tuning

Second image:
Final result of custom tuning with Rapidbike Racing

As you can clearly see, there is no danger of running full exhaust system without any fuel adjustments whatsoever. As I said many times - you need a tuning only when you want to get the most out of the mods. Otherwise you are absolutely safe without any ECU changes.
Just one note. I have noise damper (DB killer) installed. And the bike runs on rich side. I think, without the dumper it will run spot on! And whoever thinks that Akra statement about ECU tuning not required with their full system is FALSE - THINK AGAIN!

Attachments

#38 ·
This is just to bust the myth (very popular among some members here) that if you install a full exhaust on Multistrada 1260 the bike will run lean. THIS IS NOT TRUE! Stock ECU perfectly compensates the difference. If nothing else, the bike is actually running a bit rich.

As you can clearly see, there is no danger of running full exhaust system without any fuel adjustments whatsoever. As I said many times - you need a tuning only when you want to get the most out of the mods. Otherwise you are absolutely safe without any ECU changes.
Just one note. I have noise damper (DB killer) installed. And the bike runs on rich side. I think, without the dumper it will run spot on! And whoever thinks that Akra statement about ECU tuning not required with their full system is FALSE - THINK AGAIN!
I'm shocked :surprise:

Attachments

Reactions: Levy1
#43 ·
Thanks AXSPwr! I think there is a lot of truth in what you say. RapidBike came preset for a stock exhaust. I never used it with stock, so I can't be 100% sure, but if we assume that the pre-installed maps are correct for stock (with cat) system, then looking at the adaptive values (I attached the values for both cylinders), RapidBike clearly tries to lean A/F in "low-mid RPM range/partially open throttle" with full Akra exhaust. That means the bike does actually run a bit rich in closed loop.

Attachments

#44 · (Edited)
Very interesting discussion and @AXSPwr highlighted what we should have remembered namely the operation of open vs closed loop. Thanks for that.
Now I'm really stoked to install my Rapidbike to my Multi 1260 which, I rode for the first time today.
Fast ship but the engine's power is nowhere near visceral as my Monster 1200R. No complaints as it's a different bike for a different purpose.
BTW, the Monster operates in open loop only (o2 disabled) following a Rexxer ECU flash.

Reactions: Levy1
#45 · (Edited)
BIG WARNING!!! It may be important for someone considering Rapidbike for 1260. The new harness puts the device on top of the battery. The harness is not long enough to move the device under the passenger's seat (like 1200). Unfortunately, the rider seat will NOT fit in lower position with Rapidbike!!!
I tried all possible locations for the device - nothing works. The only way I see is to buy a smaller Lithium battery and stuck Rapidbike between the battery and the frame.
Not an issue for me as I use the seat in high position, just FYI.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.