Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner

Pristine ‘14 SF 848 vs. new M1200S

922 views 6 replies 4 participants last post by  Satansfist 
#1 ·
I’ve ridden both the SF and new Monster 1299 S and have liked them both. Recently, I saw a 14 SF 848 that’s been nicely upgraded with Rizoma bits, exhaust, etc. and well maintained. What are your thoughts on the benefits of buying one bike or the other? For instance, did the ‘14 SF have the plastic tanks? Any particular issues with the new M 1200 S I should know about (other than being so damn expensive!)?

#2 ·
For one thing they aren't really comparable. If you want a realistic comparison you should be looking at a 1098 SFS v the M1200S. Yes the 14 848sf has a plastic tank that WILL expand, but it's one of those small tanks designed to expend without causing any fitment issues. Of course it will look like crap and the paint may fall off but it'll still work just fine.

Did you ride them both? Because they are VERY different bikes that put you in completely different riding positions. Most people instantly like one bike over the other and its very clear. The 1200 monster will have a ton more poop than the 848 SF and will be a bit more nimble. The streetfighter will be lighter and with more leg room some find the riding position more comfortable.

As a Streetfighter owner and enthusiast for almost 10 years now I'd buy the Monster - But I wouldn't buy a 1200S - I'd get a 1200R...

#3 ·
As a Streetfighter owner and enthusiast for almost 10 years now I'd buy the Monster - But I wouldn't buy a 1200S - I'd get a 1200R...

Thanks for the reply. Yes, I’ve ridden them both and like them both. I like the practicality and aesthetics of nakeds, I like the torque of both, and both are comfortable riding positions for me. The 1098 and 1200 R are both more bike than I want, but these two fit the bill well. As a SF lover, what about the Monster would make you pick it?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

#4 · (Edited)
I’d take a 1200S over an 848 Streetfighter for comfort reasons but love the looks of the SF. I had an 848 for 3 months and then sold due to lack of comfort. Works for some but not for others. And the newer Monsters have a metal tank. The 1200R is novel but has less features for about $2k more in exchange for more power. Now if the R and it’s price are an option for you I’d buy the R just because.

I can’t see where your from on my phone but Touring Sport in Greenville, SC has a new 2017 1200S in red for $13,995 before freight, setup and taxes.

#5 ·
I’d take a 1200S over an 848 Streetfighter for comfort reasons but love the looks of the SF. I had an 848 for 3 months and then sold due to lack of comfort...I can’t see where your from on my phone but Touring Sport in Greenville, SC has a new 2017 1200S in red for $13,995 before freight, setup and taxes.

Thanks for the feedback! Sounds like I should hold out for the Monster. I’m in Austin. The Monster is more expensive so will have to wait a few months. Maybe if that SC one is still there I could do a fly and ride!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.