Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum - View Single Post - Pierre Terblanche
View Single Post
post #5 of (permalink) Old Mar 20th, 2018, 3:17 pm
egomexico
Mexican Ducatista

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Billy16 View Post
I was poking around on the internet last nite and found Mr. Terblanche's website. There are nice photos of some cool bikes he designed, among them are Moto Guzzi projects I'd never seen before.
Quote:
Originally Posted by spinoli1 View Post
Guzzi needs to hire Terblanche yesterday. Those concepts are very good (not sure about the unsprung weight on the red one though). I have been waiting for Moto Guzzi to rekindle its sporting heritage for more than 30 years and, to my eye, PT looks like the guy to do it for them.
Those Moto Guzzi Concepts were Terblanche's greatest disappointment of his career (he said that on an interview).

The man was allowed to work on crazy projects when in Ducati and take them to the shows (on those days Ducati made Sportbikes only). If public response was positive, Ducati would put money on those projects to produce the concept bikes. That is the reason why concepts like the MH900e and the 1st gen Hypermotard went into the production line. Terblanche was in Motorcycle Designer's Heaven without knowing it.

He left Ducati because he was given the burden of doing more management tasks and he wanted to focus on design. He left Ducati and went into Piaggio Group where his Pal Miguel Galuzzi had become Design Director. That's when he received green light to work on the MG concepts on his website portfolio.

Unfortunately, Piaggio Group's top executives had previously understood with the MGS-01 that there was no way of making a competitive power plant from MG's traditional engine configuration. So they decided that MG would be a retro styled brand and that Aprilia would be the Modern/High Performance brand.

When Terblanche's MG concepts were applauded by public and critics on their presentation show, he assumed that Piaggio would produce those bikes (As Ducati would have done). But Piaggio Group's executives just said "No", breaking Terblanche's heart and making him resign.

I am a big fan of Terblanche and feel sorry for him. His career has gone downhill since then.
His designs are controversial, but IMHO he is one of the all time greats.

Jorge
Hypermotard 1100S Click here; GT1000 Click here; Classic Taldea Desmodue 1000 Build Project In Progress

Last edited by egomexico; Mar 20th, 2018 at 3:22 pm. Reason: My bad english

For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome