Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner

V4 Naked / Streetfighter

22K views 55 replies 22 participants last post by  Satansfist 
#1 ·
Oh man do I wish Ducati would do one like that, really don't want to have to build one.....

Attachments

See less See more
#4 · (Edited)
@Shift-Tech
The V4's reason-d'etre was to increase HP and to compete in WSBK.
Torque is the name of the game on the street.
I would much prefer a 190hp, 105ft-lb torque 1299 V2 StreetFighter comeback with all the modern wiz-bangs. Bring it on!

1299 V2 vs V4: Torque and HP comparison

Reactions: Ricko
#7 ·
Every year the new Ducati bikes come out and people scream: "IT LOOKS JAPANESE!" Ducati is building bikes for novices, for girls, for cruisers guys, for touring/commuting, and certainly they are building racing bikes. What they dont have is a street oriented hyper performance bike to compete with the Tuono, the BMW S1000R, or the KTM superduke. Yeah the M 1200R is close but not quite. Too bad, they led the way with the streetfighter but it needed a little refinement - rather than refine it they dropped it. I dont think a screamer motor like the 1299 Pani or the new V4 are the ideal choice for new Streetfighter. I'm not sure what they are going to do in that segment but for now I guess they are going to ignore it. But in my eyes none of them look Japanese...

#12 ·
This "max power above anything else" arguments is getting bloody tedious, it is also one of the reasons why biking is in the dire state that it is, big HP numbers do not = performance. Ducati lost the design plot right after PT left, they made a new Pani that is much the same as the old Pani, even have the same name, uninspired personified, so sure, someone will think stripping the fairing and calling it a SF will constitute something fresh. Very exiting, NOT!

#17 ·
Considering the sales flop the original SS was, I think it'll be a loooooong time before Ducati attempts another one.

I also agree that the "all new", change in philosophy, breaking with heritage V4 engine bike NEEDED a distinguishing name and design.

The name "Panigale V4" reeks of lazy and uninspired creation; the very thing that makes Italian bikes special.

I love the audacity at Ducati; just slap on a sticker (not even a paint job) on the Multi and a couple carbon bits, call it something flashy like "pikes peak" and charge $2000 more...

Also if they went the SS route, to keep up with the Ape, wouldn't they need to bump up displacement to 1100. I'm not sure if they'll go to all that trouble.

#18 ·
Also if they went the SS route, to keep up with the Ape, wouldn't they need to bump up displacement to 1100. I'm not sure if they'll go to all that trouble.
The Tuono is a brilliant bike... it's a great bar to set, matching it with a big twin would be A-OK with me.

#42 ·
I always loved Italian female names.

I named my bikes Angelina and Francesca.

Alfa named their new car Gulia.

What female name would fit on a bike?

Greek/Roman God ? Constellations, stars...

Meanwhile Honda comes up with Goldwing F6B?!? B/c F6A sucked,,, so they went with the "B" version? smh...

Imo either Numbers (996, 1198 etc...) or a Name (spider, vulcan, desmocedici, interceptor, multistrada etc...)

The above names invoke emotion. Panigale, Brooklyn, Miami Beach, are locations,, I'm missing the emotional aspect.

After all, marketers know that ALL purchases are guided by emotion.

#44 ·
Panigale, Brooklyn, Miami Beach, are locations,, I'm missing the emotional aspect.
After all, marketers know that ALL purchases are guided by emotion.
Perhaps but somebody does:

Buick Riviera
Chevrolet Colorado
Chevrolet Bel Air
Chevrolet Malibu
Chevrolet Monte Carlo
Chevrolet Tahoe
Chrysler Aspen
Chrysler Newport
Dodge Daytona
Dodge Monaco
GMC Sonoma
Hyundai Santa Fe
Hyundai Tucson
Pontiac Bonneville
Pontiac Catalina
Toyota Tacoma

Reactions: kdehkordi
#43 ·
I would like to assume that the knowledge I have is of use. I ride with a few who own naked bikes. Mostly Tuono but the twin not the V4. One lad bought a V4 traded it for his twin. 2 weeks later gave it back lost a load of money and got his twin back. It was too small and didn't have the grunt or feel of the twin.
Another mate has a monster 1100 evo. Again trading from a twin Tuono. He would like an SF but can't justify the cost at the moment so has sourced a late model Black Dream Tuono and is selling the monster. It doesn't do it for him.
Another has just bought an 848 SF which he was convinced he wouldn't like after having an 848 & a 998. He now loves the SF.
I have ridden my mates Tuono in Scotland we swapped for a bit. I nearly went into the back of him as the brakes are crap and he nearly went over the bars cos the SF brakes are not.
I didn't personally like the Tuono as I felt sat on it as opposed to sat in it. It's still probably as close to the SF that anyone has got looks and grunt wise.

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk

#45 ·
I have a V4 1000 Tuono, traded my V2 Tuono, for it. I also have a 1098S and 1299S.

My Tuono V4 is my go to street bike. The V2 Tuono probably had a little more torque feeling than the V4 version, but the V4 spins up must faster and delivers about 30-40 more RWHP, which makes it feel very fast compared to the old V2.

I initially wanted a Street Fighter when I bought my first V2 Tuono back in 2010, but a Street Fighter S model was almost double the price I paid for my new v2 Tuono, so that got me on the Aprilia brand.

When I bought the V4 Tuonio, I soon realized that the OEM suspension and brakes sucked, so I replaced the rear shock and fork internals for Ohlins and then swapped out the complete front brake system for Bremo RCS18 and M4 calipers, basically the same as what was on my 1098S at the time. Huge improvement all round.

If I had the option of a 1299 Street Fighter, as per this thread, and 1100 Aprilia Tuono, if price wasn't a big difference, I'd probably opt for the 1299 version as it would be quite a bit lighter than the Tuono, plus there's a much better dealer support network for the Ducati.

I pretty much made a similar choice when I bought my 1299S. My first choice was the Aprilia RSV4RF as $23K or the 1299S Panigale at $26K. Even though the Panigale was $3K more, that was the one I settled on and have not been disappointed.

Reactions: Shift-Tech
#51 ·
Same problem in this neck of the woods No dealer support for Aprilia, to risky for a new Tuono
Very disappointing, same with KTM as a Super Duke would be a bomb as well
I think I will just stick with my reliable 848 SF and brilliant Multi 1200s for another summer and see in 2019 on..
Wait for a real SF V4 or whatever super naked in the future hopefully for Ducati

#53 ·
Compared to my Duc's, the Aprilia has been twice as reliable. (I hope I didn't jinx it)

There's a known stator problem and a possible hot start issue, but other than that they've been Japanese reliable.

Which considering their budget is truly impressive for such a small company.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.