Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner

Mutli Question

2K views 8 replies 4 participants last post by  GOTJ 
#1 ·
I just bought a new 620MTS Dark the other day and absolutely love it! :yeah: Problem is that the manual indicates checking the oil level through the "oil glass." I know where they are talking about, but I don't see any actual fluid in there. Can anyone explain how that thing works? I just got it from a dealer brand new and don't want to "top it off" for fear of putting in too much.

Also, is there an easy way to determine your gas level?

It's been raining daily here in PA for the last 3 days and will again tomorrow :mad: I am ticked - can't wait to drive this thing back & forth to work!

Thanks much for your feedback!

Dan

#2 ·
well....if you have a center stand as apposed to just the side stand...use that to make the bike level for checking or sit on it and have someone else look at the sightglass or perhaps have them straddle your bike and you have a looksee in the window....if you are already doing that...then it seems you might be a bit low chap!....easy way to determine gas level is to open the cap and look!...or ride until low fuel light comes on and then refuel....use the low fuel light engagement a couple time in regular riding to get an approximation of milage range and then just go by milage to be safe (unless you ride it on 1 wheel alot)......as far as riding in the rain....the last couple of days have in fact showed us some occasional torrential downpours....but other than that...there is some great weatherp[roof gear out there to look into to ride as much as possible.....anyways...happy travels and enjoy your new ride and welcome to the wonderful world of Desmo and our site!

#3 ·
Thanks, mon. I know the questions were pretty idiotic, but they say the only stupid ones are the ones not asked. So I asked the stupid questions :) And I'd be surprised to find out that the dealer didn't put much in there, but you never know.

And since you are in MD, you are experiencing the same rains that I am, a number of miles up on route 83. Are there any cool places to go to check out cycle races (either street or dirt) in our neck of the woods?

Thanks again.

zooom said:
well....if you have a center stand as apposed to just the side stand...use that to make the bike level for checking or sit on it and have someone else look at the sightglass or perhaps have them straddle your bike and you have a looksee in the window....if you are already doing that...then it seems you might be a bit low chap!....easy way to determine gas level is to open the cap and look!...or ride until low fuel light comes on and then refuel....use the low fuel light engagement a couple time in regular riding to get an approximation of milage range and then just go by milage to be safe (unless you ride it on 1 wheel alot)......as far as riding in the rain....the last couple of days have in fact showed us some occasional torrential downpours....but other than that...there is some great weatherp[roof gear out there to look into to ride as much as possible.....anyways...happy travels and enjoy your new ride and welcome to the wonderful world of Desmo and our site!

#4 ·
danducati said:
And since you are in MD, you are experiencing the same rains that I am, a number of miles up on route 83. Are there any cool places to go to check out cycle races (either street or dirt) in our neck of the woods?

Thanks again.
yeah...the rains kinda suck with the fact that they go from sprinkle to coming down in sheets without much differentiation or warning from above...the Aerostich can only do but sooo much against mother nature in that regard...my mother in-law lives up your way...there is lotsa nice riding west of you and down into Western Maryland somewhat....there are a couple of guys who are members of MAD-Ducati.com membership Email list who are in your general sector...and lotsa guys from that group that go and run and race(Road Racing mind you) at Summit Point outside of Charlestown, West VA....maybe we can organize a ride and meet up sometime!

#5 ·
zooom said:
yeah...the rains kinda suck with the fact that they go from sprinkle to coming down in sheets without much differentiation or warning from above...the Aerostich can only do but sooo much against mother nature in that regard...my mother in-law lives up your way...there is lotsa nice riding west of you and down into Western Maryland somewhat....there are a couple of guys who are members of MAD-Ducati.com membership Email list who are in your general sector...and lotsa guys from that group that go and run and race(Road Racing mind you) at Summit Point outside of Charlestown, West VA....maybe we can organize a ride and meet up sometime!
that would be cool!

#6 ·
YEs, check the oil on the center stand, the sight glass is on the right side. If it's overfull it could be mistaken for being empty, empty is worse than over full, unless it's VERY over full. All the sight glass is, is a window into the engine where the oil should be topped off to.

#7 ·
Thanks much. I was in the dealership yesterday and found out that I need to first center the bike and look down in the glass (I've got a side stand). THEN I can see the level, but when I look in the glass while it's leaning on the side stand it appears empty.

A "duh" question I know, but better to be safe than sorry. Especially when you shell out that kinda cash.

ducaati said:
YEs, check the oil on the center stand, the sight glass is on the right side. If it's overfull it could be mistaken for being empty, empty is worse than over full, unless it's VERY over full. All the sight glass is, is a window into the engine where the oil should be topped off to.

#9 ·
"use the low fuel light engagement a couple time in regular riding to get an approximation of milage range and then just go by milage to be safe (unless you ride it on 1 wheel alot)......"

I am under the impression that the speedo/odo pickup is on the rear wheel. I think Ducati did that because of so much rear wheel riding. Riders weren't getting their services done as soon. :)

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.