Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum

Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum (https://www.ducati.ms/forums/)
-   Supersport (https://www.ducati.ms/forums/57-supersport/)
-   -   Need help picking a clutch kit (https://www.ducati.ms/forums/57-supersport/92091-need-help-picking-clutch-kit.html)

bobross Jul 22nd, 2010 5:50 pm

Need help picking a clutch kit

Think it's time to change my clutch disc set. I checked out a couple website like ca-cycleworks, desmotimes and of course eBay.

Are all these kits universal? For instance, ca-cycleworks states "Barnett DryFlex clutch, alum plates - fitment: All dry clutches". Desmotimes states "Barnett - Only for use on Aluminum clutch baskets. If you install these clutches in a steel clutch basket, they will wear prematurely."

Then there is eBay, it lists a Barnett kit for "DUCATI 600 620 750 800" at $164 but a kit for a "998 996 monster 900ss 999 748 749" at $185?

Am I missing something here? Do I need a specific part # for my 99 900ss? Everything is stock on my bike so I assume I have a steel basket? I'm just looking to an OEM equivalent replacement, nothing special.

Thanks for any help!
BR

tempest411 Jul 23rd, 2010 1:16 am

If you have the OEM steel basket, you must use steel friction plates. If you use aluminum, the plates will be hammered by the harder material of the steel basket and the tangs will be beaten out of shape very quickly. And, in all the reading I did in looking for a clutch replacement a year ago, I picked up that Barnett was the least favored choice. The most, even by those that take them on the track, are the OEM Ducati, which come in both aluminum and steel. I happened to choose Sureflex. The modulation out of the gate is great, but as I've only been able to put about 40 miles on my bike in the last year I can't speak to it's longevity (though I hear it's good).

Rick

bobross Jul 23rd, 2010 2:04 pm

Thanks for the info Tempest. Where is a good place to get an OEM steel pack and what should I expect to pay?

cheers,
BR

SouthsideDuc Jul 23rd, 2010 2:39 pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by bobross (Post 892662)
Thanks for the info Tempest. Where is a good place to get an OEM steel pack and what should I expect to pay?

cheers,
BR

Call your local dealer. Cost is probably somewhere in the vicinity of $250.

Ghostdog2007 Jul 23rd, 2010 2:54 pm

Make sure to get heavy duty springs.

bobross Jul 23rd, 2010 3:42 pm

$250 eh? Hm, would it be better to get a nice performance pack if I'm going to be spending that much? Does Barnett make a steel version? I'm on a tight budget here.

Does anyone have any experience filing down the rings for a little extra life? :o

ThisEndUp Jul 24th, 2010 8:54 am

Quote:

Originally Posted by bobross (Post 892735)
$250 eh? Hm, would it be better to get a nice performance pack if I'm going to be spending that much? Does Barnett make a steel version? I'm on a tight budget here.

Does anyone have any experience filing down the rings for a little extra life? :o

I'd recommend EBC clutch kit (incl. springs)
I've had no issues with 'em after many miles...

Ghostdog2007 Jul 25th, 2010 12:19 am

+1 ebc

tempest411 Jul 25th, 2010 12:37 am

Sometimes good used clutch packs show up on E-Bay. Lots of Ducatis get parted out before they've had a chance to wear their clutches out. If the pictures are good enough to show condition, I'd have no problem buying one of those.

Rick

Joe-B Jul 25th, 2010 8:33 am

Bob, why do you need to replace your clutch? Mine had nearly 30,000 miles and rattled so loudly that it was obnoxious (only at idle, of course), but it still worked fine. I bought a new one (EVR non-slipper http://www.mota-lab.com/evr-ducati-4...set-p-354.html) to quiet things down, but if you are on a tight bidget, maybe you don't really need to replace the clutch yet. Just a thought since you are on a tight budget :think:.
Joe