Old bloke, first post - Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 114 (permalink) Old May 3rd, 2010, 6:50 am Thread Starter

Old bloke, first post

First post other than “introductions”.

A friend asked me to get a 1997 750SS back onto the road since it’s been in storage since 1998. It has only 1,500km on the clock and hasn’t had its first service yet. Was delivered to my house on Saturday afternoon….

Monday.

First problem was to open the fuel cap, a little WD40 and a lot of patience solved that problem, look what I found.

Tank removed and found the plastic nut holding the fuel level sensor has deteriorated into two separate parts. Firstly I will try an Araldite repair, if that fails I figure its money required for a new item.

Have cleaned the tank out, holy shit, where did all of that come from?

Question,
Where do the wires from the fuel sensor entering tank in the second last photo go to?

Next installment, in a day or two. Answer my questions and watch this space.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 114 (permalink) Old May 3rd, 2010, 8:58 am

Fuel pump. Got a Haynes manual?
post #3 of 114 (permalink) Old May 3rd, 2010, 12:24 pm

...you can get an alloy replacement nut for your fuel level sensor from california cycleworks ....if your repair job doesnt work. i believe ducati only sells the entire sensor as a complete unit ($$$$$)

post #4 of 114 (permalink) Old May 3rd, 2010, 12:31 pm
Excel Addict

This is the wiring diagram that is titled as 91 - 96, but I expect it will be 97 as well.

Joe-B is correct. There are 4 wires - 2 to the fuel level sensor and 2 to the fuel pump.

Repairing the plastic nut - as you are in Oz, there is a product here branded Q bond. Go to Repco and ask for it, it may not be on the shelf. It is a bonding kit that contains product for grey and black plastic and one of these (grey option in the kit?) is good for metal. Plastics are difficult to bond and (shoot me down) but Araldite is not the solution. The kit costs about AUD$40 and goes a very long way. I have 3 bikes that grace the product plus a few jobs around home and still only used about 30% of the grey part.

I don't remember why now, but I have a full, multi-lingual workshop manual for the 750/900 91-96 on my computer, which i can upload to a web site for downloading - just need your email address to give you permission to download (after I upload)

If it was in my possession I would do the following.
Buy a new battery and charge it properly - be patient!
Get/squirt some oil into the rocker covers and a tiny bit into the cylinders via the spark plug hole - then let it sit for an hour or so.
Drain and clean the carbs to get rid of old fuel/gum or use an additive that purports to clean carbs and fuel lines.
Make sure the floats are not stuck.
Crank the engine a few times to get oil moving around the moving parts then leave for a while for oil to spread.
Then start and run the engine until hot, then dump and replace oil.

Then ride and enjoy.

Richard Collins - 2001 900SSie I have a 2 strike policy - 2 no responses from a poster = no more responses from me to any post by them. I have a good memory!
post #5 of 114 (permalink) Old May 3rd, 2010, 12:34 pm
Excel Addict

OOPS - this time with the wiring diag

Wiring diag
Attached Files
File Type: pdf 750ss-900ss1991-1996 wiring diag.pdf (814.2 KB, 108 views)

Richard Collins - 2001 900SSie I have a 2 strike policy - 2 no responses from a poster = no more responses from me to any post by them. I have a good memory!
post #6 of 114 (permalink) Old May 3rd, 2010, 4:36 pm Thread Starter

Joe-B, dancinkozmo and Punch, thanks for the comments. All appreciated and noted. Hopefully I will get back to it today if I can sidestep my wife's job list. Will post updates. The owner isn't pushing, in fact his plan is to have it ready to ride down to P.I. for Moto GP.
post #7 of 114 (permalink) Old May 3rd, 2010, 7:19 pm

guides and such

This might be of use as you go along:

http://bluepointdesign.com/vehicles/ducati/
post #8 of 114 (permalink) Old May 4th, 2010, 12:20 am Thread Starter

Thanks Indy36, bookmarked.
And a big thanks to Punch for the help given in a couple of PM's.

Good progress today, air box off, carbs blown out, cables freed up, all back together. Clean oil into cylinders, an old battery connected and motor turns over freely. Clutch freed up. Looking forward to the owner bringing new battery, oil and filter over this weekend.
post #9 of 114 (permalink) Old May 4th, 2010, 12:59 am
Excel Addict

Start budgeting - if you ride it, you will become addicted!

post #10 of 114 (permalink) Old May 4th, 2010, 2:10 am

Exclamation

Hi,

Gas, when it decays it turns into a varnish, pretty nasty stuff... I can tell you that if your tank looks that bad, your carbs are going to look just as bad or worse. You will probably need to dip them. See if a local dealership has a "Dip" tank for carbs. If you remove them yourself the shop should not charge you much for putting them in the tank. Or you could pick up a wire brush and about 10 cans of carb cleaner... and a compressor will be usefull too (to blow out all the passages)

Good luck (really a great looking bike you have there )

Gray
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode