Old bloke, first post - Page 5 - Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #41 of 114 (permalink) Old May 23rd, 2010, 12:43 am Thread Starter

The carb clean out is going well, still waiting for new o rings and gaskets to arrive.

I have to tension the new overhead cam belts. The belt tensioner bearing requires a load of 4.5 kg or 10 lbs before being locked into place. Between my spring balance (spring scales) and the bearing I have a very strong rubber ring to enable a good grip onto the bearing surface. My question is, when the scale shows 10 lbs resistance am I still putting 10 lbs force onto the bearing given that a rubber ring is involved between the effort and the load? I think yes but my head hurts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #42 of 114 (permalink) Old May 23rd, 2010, 12:59 am

Hi,

nah, your making it a litte hard on yourself... Take a 5mm allenkey and adjust the belt so that the allenkey will pass between the belt and the idler pulley (the non ajustable pulley). If the 5mm fits and a 6mm does not your in the gravy... (I would replace the belts while your at it... I would rather give out 100 dollars for belts now rather than 1000 dollars later to rebuild the motor)
post #43 of 114 (permalink) Old May 23rd, 2010, 1:17 am Thread Starter

Thanks for that 5mm / 6mm tip, why isn't that in the book? Sounds like an easy way to the same result.
I did say in the previous post "I have to tension the new overhead cam belts", so the old ones (that still look new) will go into the bin.
Just for the record, what to you think regarding my question, "when the scale shows 10 lbs resistance am I still putting 10 lbs force onto the bearing given that a rubber ring is involved between the effort and the load?"

post #44 of 114 (permalink) Old May 23rd, 2010, 1:37 am

I'd guess that it would still be 10lbs on the bearing. I did buy a scale when I first got my bike but have only used that method once. Now I do like most others and use the allen key.

When you fit new belts they do need the tension checked again after they have settled in. Some-one may have a more accurate mileage but about 500 kays is whrn I do it.

2008 MS4RS Tricolore
1993 Ducati 900SS
1984 Honda VF1000RE
1966 250 Ducati Scrambler

He was as lame as a duck. Not the metaphorical lame duck either, but a real duck that was actually lame. Maybe from stepping on a pebble and rolling an ankle.
post #45 of 114 (permalink) Old May 23rd, 2010, 1:39 am

Quote:
Originally Posted by otherwise View Post
Thanks for that 5mm / 6mm tip, why isn't that in the book? Sounds like an easy way to the same result.
I did say in the previous post "I have to tension the new overhead cam belts", so the old ones (that still look new) will go into the bin.
Just for the record, what to you think regarding my question, "when the scale shows 10 lbs resistance am I still putting 10 lbs force onto the bearing given that a rubber ring is involved between the effort and the load?"
oops.... did not see the "new" comment there, sorry (still early here and only on my 1st cup of coffee) I think the tip is not in the book because Ducati wants you to buy the 300 Euro tension mesuring tool.

I would not trust the mesurement as the rubber will stretch and absorb (or expend) energy meaning the actual force applied would be greater/less than what is displayed, as I am not an ing and not an expert on fluid dynamics I will not attemt to explain it. Use a pice of safty wire... or better yet... just do the allenkey trick

Gray
post #46 of 114 (permalink) Old May 23rd, 2010, 2:45 am
Ducati Acolyte

Quote:
Originally Posted by Punch View Post
Wiring diag
http://rs680.rapidshare.com/files/36...n-it-es-fr.pdf
The file (197MB) is huge and you may be waiting awhile

ONCE YOU'VE HAD ASIAN, YOU WILL NEVER TOUCH CAUCASIAN
OLD AGE AND TREACHERY WILL ALWAYS OVERCOME YOUTH AND ENTHUSIASM
post #47 of 114 (permalink) Old May 23rd, 2010, 4:47 pm Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Warp Racer View Post
http://rs680.rapidshare.com/files/36...n-it-es-fr.pdf
The file (197MB) is huge and you may be waiting awhile
Thanks for the link, but WOW it is as you said, BIG. I already have a two page wiring diag. Page 1 is the drawing with numbered references, page 2 is the key describing the numbers. I also have a downloaded w/s manual and a Haynes printed version. I stopped the download when it said 1 hour 5 min remaining. Given that I think (hope) I am now on top of the job is there material in the download that I should have?
post #48 of 114 (permalink) Old May 24th, 2010, 11:34 am

Quote:
Originally Posted by otherwise View Post
... Just for the record, what to you think regarding my question, "when the scale shows 10 lbs resistance am I still putting 10 lbs force onto the bearing given that a rubber ring is involved between the effort and the load?"
You are indeed. Look at it this way-- say you've got a 10 lb. weight sitting on the ground with a hook attached to the top. You've got a scale with a hook attached to the bottom. If you hook the scale to the weight (and the scale is calibrated), and lift the scale till the weight is off the ground , the scale will read 10 lbs.

Now, if you unhook the scale from the weight (don't drop it on your toe ), put a heavy duty O-ring between the hooks on scale and weight, then lift until the weight is suspended, the scale will still read 10 lbs. The difference will be in how far you have to raise the scale to make the weight come up off the ground.

Bryan

--
1999 900 Supersport
1984 Moto Guzzi V65 SP
2004 KTM 625 SMC
post #49 of 114 (permalink) Old May 24th, 2010, 4:11 pm Thread Starter

Bryan, I posted that question elsewhere and had received the answer, but your analogy is the easiest to understand. Simple and to the point, thanks for taking the time. Kevin.

Quote,
"You are indeed. Look at it this way-- say you've got a 10 lb. weight sitting on the ground with a hook attached to the top. You've got a scale with a hook attached to the bottom. If you hook the scale to the weight (and the scale is calibrated), and lift the scale till the weight is off the ground , the scale will read 10 lbs.

Now, if you unhook the scale from the weight (don't drop it on your toe ), put a heavy duty O-ring between the hooks on scale and weight, then lift until the weight is suspended, the scale will still read 10 lbs. The difference will be in how far you have to raise the scale to make the weight come up off the ground."
post #50 of 114 (permalink) Old Jun 14th, 2010, 9:22 pm Thread Starter

Been flat out doing non motorcycle things but got back to it today.
The carbs have just been reassembled but ...

How many tuns out do you set the pilot screws?

Can't find it in the w/s manual. So close but not over the line yet.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode