Old bloke, first post - Page 2 - Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #11 of 114 (permalink) Old May 4th, 2010, 5:10 am Thread Starter

After my last optimistic post I went back to the garage and it all went down hill
The battery, oil and filter turned up. Fresh fuel, new battery, the cranking made the oil pressure light go out so that is good but no start. Yes I have a good blue spark. No fuel to carbs, took fuel line off at the remote fuel tap under the tank nothing coming out. I think maybe because it is pumped I had better push starter button with the fuel line off, still no fuel. Remove filler cap and have a good look in with torch, I see a filter and lots of pipes.
I am thinking when I had the fuel sensor out from the bottom there is a chance that I may have pulled the wires off the pump? When the ignition is turned on can you hear the pump run?
The rubbish in the tank may have clogged the fuel filter?
Any other suggestions please.
With the fuel cap off I can see a ring of very small grub screws around the alloy casting. Do I loosen or remove them, then how do I remove the alloy casting, lever, screw out?
Suggestions please. HELP HELP HELP.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #12 of 114 (permalink) Old May 4th, 2010, 7:03 am

Hi,

yes when you turn the ignition on you should here the pump running. I would suggest you replace the filter, pop the pump out, pop the sensor out... and plug it all in (out side the tank) then turn the igniton on... it should run, if not the pump has also "bit the dust"... have you drained the carbs? With the tank looking that bad I would assume the carbs are pretty gummed up too...

Gray
post #13 of 114 (permalink) Old May 4th, 2010, 8:47 am

+1 on pulling the float bowls. It's a PITA because you have to pull the carbs off of the bike, but the jets could be completely blocked, the float stuck, and the needle stuck to the emulsion tube. Have a hand impact driver handy for the float bowl screws, they are tough to remove and easy to mangle Phillips head screws.
-DucMad

1996 SuperSport 900 SS/CR
It takes a sick kind of person to own a Ducati. I'm one of the afflicted. -Chris Kelly

post #14 of 114 (permalink) Old May 4th, 2010, 4:19 pm Thread Starter

Thanks again for all comments.
How do you remove the top of tank "thingo" to get into the pump, I took the flip up cap off. This exposed a ring of very small grub screws screwing horizontally around the alloy "thingo" (what is it called?). Do I loosen the grub screws or remove them? Then how do you get it off the tank, lever, screw out, I don't want to stuff up at this point and scratch an unmarked tank. I will now go and look at the online manual that was posted (thanks) but personal experience is very valuable so I will be checking for comments as the day unfolds.
post #15 of 114 (permalink) Old May 4th, 2010, 5:59 pm
Banned

losen the grub screws ( we say Madenschrauben ) will be enough,
as only their tips screw into the tank. But you can pull them out
never the less, and have them put away in a safe place while you
are working on the tank.
it has been some time since, but if i remember correctly, you simply
pull out the aluminum ring from the tank by force, getting it back in
should be the tougher part then.

post #16 of 114 (permalink) Old May 4th, 2010, 7:06 pm
Excel Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Muschi View Post
losen the grub screws ( we say Madenschrauben ) will be enough,
as only their tips screw into the tank. But you can pull them out
never the less, and have them put away in a safe place while you
are working on the tank.
it has been some time since, but if i remember correctly, you simply
pull out the aluminum ring from the tank by force, getting it back in
should be the tougher part then.

Do as Muschi says about the screws. I take them right out so I know where they are. Getting the cap out can be a bit of a challenge as the O ring inside sticks to the tank. I use a round piece of wood through the hole and work around easing it a little at a time until the seal breaks.

Getting it back in is an even bigger challenge if it is the same as 99+, which I expect it is. Don't try to instal the filler cap and top rubber ring at the same time unless you wish to practice every swear word you know and then still probably fail.

Insert the cap until it is almost home with enough room for the ring to fit in. Make sure the cap is lined up correctly as it won't rotate after being inserted. Then put the ring over it and in place, then push it home or persuade it with a rubber mallet or hammer and wood. Refit grub screws.

Richard Collins - 2001 900SSie I have a 2 strike policy - 2 no responses from a poster = no more responses from me to any post by them. I have a good memory!
post #17 of 114 (permalink) Old May 4th, 2010, 7:34 pm Thread Starter

Cheers,
Will probably have time later today to attack it.
Will report my success (or failure).
post #18 of 114 (permalink) Old May 5th, 2010, 12:53 am

Hi,

A good tip for working with o-rings and fuel lines is use some silicon spray. Silicon won't attack the rubber and is an excellent lubricant.
I did not have any problems changing the fuel filer on my 2000 750ss ... (though it was new at the time, so the rings did not have a chance to harden and stick) hardest part for me was finding all the "grub screws"... Take your time and check twice make sure all the screws are out before you start tugging on the cap.

Gray
post #19 of 114 (permalink) Old May 6th, 2010, 9:51 pm Thread Starter

Finally found time to dig a bit further into the tank, not good.
After the pile of crud came out the other day I still found this.

Before I disassembled it I couldnít hear the pump run when the ignition was turned on. Today I put 12v DC across the pump and it didnít spin up. I checked continuity across the pump and have a circuit. My guess is the pump is gummed up and canít get off the mark. If it was disassembled and freed up it may be OK. What do you think? I know itís isnít built to pull apart but given that (I think) it has failed we donít have anything to loose other than time

post #20 of 114 (permalink) Old May 7th, 2010, 1:42 am

Exclamation

Hi,

wow .... that is going to take alot of work to clean up... Before you can use that tank again it will need to be "spotless" clean. Toss the pump and look for a new one on evilbay. You can also use one from a car, but I am not sure which one. I am sure one of the guys will chime in with the info . As for your carbs.... you really need to pull them off and clean them out too...

Gray
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode