1000DS Pistons in my 900 - Page 10 - Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #91 of 98 (permalink) Old Mar 21st, 2010, 8:03 am
Banned

it is not the header that heats up the heads, but the hot exhaust
gas that travels through the exhaust port.
the SS1000DS has got shorter exhaust ports for that reason,
and they are sliced for some ventilation too.

a close to stock road engine does not need any further modifications,
get it back together and running, it is well develloped as is, ready to
enjoy with nothing to worry about.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #92 of 98 (permalink) Old Mar 21st, 2010, 10:12 am Thread Starter

This thread certainly went down a different road, but all the information is certainly interesting.

Got it all put back together. I think it was a good thing that I took it apart. The vertical cylinder was caked with oil, maybe from the broken rubber valve seal. When I took the piston out, it looked like the valve had contacted the piston at some point, see pic. Maybe the contact with the piston caused the piston to rock and preceded to blow by oil.

Anyway the bike was running ok except for the loss of about .5 qt every 2k miles.

I inspected the bores for any disturbance, ovality, and taper. Everything seemed to be inspec, so in went the new pistons.

Started up, smoked off the assembly oil, and all is well except for a slightly rich vertical cylinder. No oil is getting through on the vertical anymore thankfully.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0387.JPG
Views:	93
Size:	282.8 KB
ID:	64850  
post #93 of 98 (permalink) Old Mar 21st, 2010, 11:25 am
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Muschi View Post
it is not the header that heats up the heads, but the hot exhaust
gas that travels through the exhaust port.
the SS1000DS has got shorter exhaust ports for that reason,
and they are sliced for some ventilation too.

a close to stock road engine does not need any further modifications,
get it back together and running, it is well develloped as is, ready to
enjoy with nothing to worry about.

Well, I and others are finding evidence of cooked oil around the area of the exhaust valve. This means that this area probably gets over 300 deg F. To me, that is a design flaw and I intend to do what I can about it. I need to figure out the most likely cause first of course.

Also, if it was true that this engine was fine as it came from the factory, then why did my valves leak so badly that I need to lap them again? There are many things that are "wrong" with this bike. Other people have had problems with things like early valve guide wear.

post #94 of 98 (permalink) Old Mar 21st, 2010, 11:28 am
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by LeoLegend View Post
This thread certainly went down a different road, but all the information is certainly interesting.

Got it all put back together. I think it was a good thing that I took it apart. The vertical cylinder was caked with oil, maybe from the broken rubber valve seal. When I took the piston out, it looked like the valve had contacted the piston at some point, see pic. Maybe the contact with the piston caused the piston to rock and preceded to blow by oil.

Anyway the bike was running ok except for the loss of about .5 qt every 2k miles.

I inspected the bores for any disturbance, ovality, and taper. Everything seemed to be inspec, so in went the new pistons.

Started up, smoked off the assembly oil, and all is well except for a slightly rich vertical cylinder. No oil is getting through on the vertical anymore thankfully.
Wow, it's a good thing you took that engine apart!

How did you determine that the vertical cylinder is running rich?
post #95 of 98 (permalink) Old Mar 21st, 2010, 11:48 am
Chilehead

Quote:
Originally Posted by dirkwright View Post
then why did my valves leak so badly that I need to lap them again?
Wear, corrosion, deposits from burning oil due to leaky rings or valve guides, etc.

It's normal, at least in my 2V Ducatis and Guzzis, as well as air-cooled VWs I've owned in the past.

Tom

1985 LeMans
1986 LeMans w/ sidecar
1992 XV250
1998 ST2
2003 SS1000DS
2003 999R #29

www.motogiro.com

post #96 of 98 (permalink) Old Mar 21st, 2010, 12:53 pm Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by dirkwright View Post
Wow, it's a good thing you took that engine apart!

How did you determine that the vertical cylinder is running rich?
Pulled the plug after a short trip just to check things out, black soot, but not wet so I know it's not oil.
post #97 of 98 (permalink) Old Mar 21st, 2010, 5:32 pm
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by LeoLegend View Post
Pulled the plug after a short trip just to check things out, black soot, but not wet so I know it's not oil.
Other than an ignition issue on that one cylinder, I really don't have a solution for you, sorry.

Oh, I meant to ask if you checked that valve for trueness. If it hit the piston, then it could very well be bent.

After looking closely at that damaged valve pocket in the piston, I would be very surprised if that valve was not bent!

Last edited by dirkwrong; Mar 21st, 2010 at 5:39 pm.
post #98 of 98 (permalink) Old Mar 21st, 2010, 5:37 pm
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by st2lemans View Post
Wear, corrosion, deposits from burning oil due to leaky rings or valve guides, etc.

It's normal, at least in my 2V Ducatis and Guzzis, as well as air-cooled VWs I've owned in the past.

Tom
None of the above, as far as I know. The bike only has 5,000 miles on it, give or take. The guides, rings, etc are good. No oil burning. After lapping the valves, the intake on the vertical cylinder clearance for the opening rocker was too tight, so I opened it up a little, to 0.1 mm (from 0.05). The ECU does have an issue with running too rich, but I hope to have that fixed soon. I suppose the excessive carbon deposits from running too rich could be a problem for the valves in my case.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode