FCRs... So close, yet so far away.... - Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 41 (permalink) Old Aug 20th, 2019, 9:23 pm Thread Starter

Garage
FCRs... So close, yet so far away....

Before I completely destroy my 900 SS/FE, I thought I'd try the crowd again. Y'all helped me with the charcoal canister recently, and the other articles have been hugely helpful.

Got the FCRs in the 41 size. Pretty cool stuff. Instructions that came with the kit are only for pro users if at all. Junk, really. It's here at .ms that I learned how to get as far as I have. Anyway, got the old carbs out. Installed the new throttle. Routed the lines. Modified the airbox. Connected the fuel and vent hose. Connected and adjusted the throttle cables. Installed the FCRs after adding both adapters to each carb. Went for a meditative walk to contemplate how much support crap gets dumped by removing the stock carbs. Looks nice and clean. Ready to install the air box.

Then... HOLY FUCKING HELL. Give me a break. Attached are pictures of the end state... and by end state, I mean, I stopped before destroying my bike. I'll get back to it once I've heard from the group. I was warned by every string that the air box was a twat to get back in. Some even went as far as to suggest connecting the air box to the new carbs before installing. I tried EVERYTHING... once I noticed a fine sheen of blood on the edges of the new carbs, and noticed the glove had lacerated along with my finger, I tried a new approach.

I actually pulled the rubber boots out of the inside of the air box just to get an idea of how small the diameter was in relation to the outer edge of the carbs... Let me tell you something. The circumference is so much larger than the rubber air box boots that the actual clamps are too small when fully extended (you'll notice in the photos that the clamps are high and not in place... and dialed ALL the way out). And yes... I checked carefully before even starting to ensure I got the right box of stuff. This IS for (among other models) the 98 900 SS/FE.

Here's for the group... if you've read this far.... Should I just buy larger clamps for the rubber boot... clamp it in place, put the air box over the top (easier to manipulate those back into the air box as I just need to squish them and manipulate them into place), or should I stop and admit defeat, and reach out to Motowheels and buy the individual filters?

I literally just bought a K&N filter. This kit came with another brand new one.... at $60 to $80 a pop, I'm wasting money now. If it's safe to just buy the bigger clamps and clamp these boots in place, and call it a day, I'm game. I just don't want to fuck something up.

Thanks in advance... See photos of what I'm talking about.

Oh, and one photo to show some success so you see there're no hard feelings. It looks good and I can't wait to give it a whirl.

Scott, Vacaville, CA
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	20190820_185453.jpg
Views:	58
Size:	2.68 MB
ID:	951453   Click image for larger version

Name:	20190820_185501.jpg
Views:	57
Size:	2.44 MB
ID:	951455   Click image for larger version

Name:	20190820_185456.jpg
Views:	54
Size:	2.82 MB
ID:	951457   Click image for larger version

Name:	20190820_193121[9441].jpg
Views:	55
Size:	2.98 MB
ID:	951459  

Last edited by jbirdsaway2; Aug 20th, 2019 at 9:34 pm. Reason: Add photo and some text.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 41 (permalink) Old Aug 20th, 2019, 9:39 pm

Garage
Meh, just get the bigger clamps. You'll be fine. Also, just text me next time, it's a much shorter route to get a second opinion
.....sean

Quote:
My garage: Twins:2000.5 Mille R, 2000 996, 1994 EX500 basket case 1993 900SS. Suzukis: 2004 GSXR600, 1992 GSXR750 oil boiler, 1983 XN-85 Turbo
post #3 of 41 (permalink) Old Aug 20th, 2019, 10:03 pm Thread Starter

Garage
Hey Sean. Now I feel like a schmuck. Anyway, I'll probably need you to do a Technical Inspection before I try and start this thing anyway. You wanted to pop over tomorrow (Wednesday). I'll be at the gym after work until 17:30. You can pop over after that, or you can come earlier on Thursday... your choice. I know you're trying to get your act together for your trip Friday. Let me know. You can reply here, or, more simply, just text me and let me know what your preference is. Meanwhile, I'll get the larger clamps tomorrow and have them ready to look at by tomorrow evening. Cheers. Scott

post #4 of 41 (permalink) Old Aug 20th, 2019, 10:17 pm

dunno, i've never had an issue with getting them on. push harder? heat the rubbers with a heat gun?

know all wanker
post #5 of 41 (permalink) Old Aug 20th, 2019, 10:27 pm Thread Starter

Garage
Thanks, belter. The clamps are literally not large enough in diameter to fit around the carbs. I'll literally need a larger diameter clamp... maybe only a few mm.... but larger none the less.
post #6 of 41 (permalink) Old Aug 20th, 2019, 10:57 pm

Garage
If you are talking about the carb to airbox boot some do not even use clamps as the seal is tight and after bolting down the airbox it can not go anywhere. I use the clamps and I was a frustrated as you on the first set, don't worry after the first dozen sets it is pretty smooth.
psyopper, RockAZ and jbirdsaway2 like this.
post #7 of 41 (permalink) Old Aug 20th, 2019, 11:47 pm

i may have left clamps off my own.
jbirdsaway2 likes this.

know all wanker
post #8 of 41 (permalink) Old Aug 21st, 2019, 12:52 am

Garage
I may have left blood on the FCR's the first time i mated them up to the airbox,... the clamps were left off- with the amount of force needed to offer them up i realized they cannot leak once in position
jbirdsaway2 likes this.

1991 900SS
1995 900SS SP #746
post #9 of 41 (permalink) Old Aug 21st, 2019, 7:50 am

Garage
I don't think the clamps in the pictures are the stock ones. They look different from the ones I've seen on my SS and my former Monster. The stock ones have a much bigger (infinite) adjustment rate I think.
So maybe a previous owner or mechanic replaced them and, although big enough for the stock carbs, it might be possible that they are just too small for Keihins.

So I would just be sure not to tear the rubbers and buy clamps that do actually fit.

On my bikes I've always had this kind of clamps:

jbirdsaway2 likes this.

1997 Ducati 900 SS Full Fairing
post #10 of 41 (permalink) Old Aug 21st, 2019, 9:18 am Thread Starter

Garage
ducvet, belter, RockAZ and BelgianDuc900SS, thanks a million! I was especially validated by Rock making his FCRs his blood brother like I now have. As I type this, each key stroke is like burning my finger tips as that's where the cuts are. Hahaha. Never fails. Once I get it all buttoned up, I'll drop a photo in. May be a day or two. Cheers. Scott
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode