It's alive! (new to me 1996 900SS SP) - Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 18 (permalink) Old Aug 19th, 2019, 6:18 pm Thread Starter

It's alive! (new to me 1996 900SS SP)

I had 899 Panigle, which I really loved. I put it up for sale simply because I found it to be a bit too big for me (I'm pretty short), then I still enjoyed it so much that I forgot that I put it up for sale, and the 'for sale' ad was still up till out of blue, a really nice guy made me an offer that was pretty good. A week prior, I sold my beloved Yamaha RD250 (I was seriously running out of garage space), so suddenly, it's summer and I had no running bike. I immediately looked for something, and because I always liked 900SS, that's what I looked for, and found 1996 SS SP for sale not too far from me (which is very rare, and that's why I overpaid for it despite how ratty it was), and brought it home. It was pretty ratty - 20k miles, no service record, a lot of scratches on the plastics, spider webs, etc., at least it turned freely and it even started up. The tires were shot, sprockets and chains were shot, clutch slave cylinder was shot, brakes needed rebuilt, carburetors needed cleaning (of course), wheel bearings, and other basic Ducati stuff, like belts, valve shims, stuff like that, just all the basic. And after almost two months, I finally got to start it up! I haven't ridden it yet because the clutch is completely shot, and I'm still waiting for the parts. I can't wait to ride it. By the way, I learned so much from this forum, like the valve shims, torque specs, all the how-to's, so thanks for that!

This found a good new home. I had a great time with it, even though I felt silly often when I was stuck in traffic.

And this came home. It's a whole lot rattier than it seems. Only if I could sell all the spiders (and acorn nuts) I found inside of the fairings, I'd be able to fund all the parts that I bought for this.

Things I did (some absolutely necessary, and some just upgrade/update)
- cleaning cleaning cleaning
- fixed the crack in the side fairing, did the best I could with the faded carbon fiber bits
- clean/rebuilt carburetors (what a wonderful word, especially when spelled out, 'carburetor'!)
- valve clearance adjustment (closing side was pretty off)
- new belts, tensioners, idlers
- had to fix the upper fairing/headlight mount (right side mirror mount was broken, so I had to weld it back - odd, because there's no sign of fall)
- cleaned the exhaust
- fuel pump and filter (that was a lot of fun for some reason)
- repainted the rims (with leftover rattle cans from previous projects), new tires, new wheel bearings
- new clutch slave cylinder (Oberon, I had good luck with it on my 899)
- new brake and clutch hydraulic lines (I had such a problem routing the front brake lines, and had really tough time bleeding it, too, but all is good now)
- a lot of stainless steel hardware (my local hardware store knows me as a "nuts and bolts guy with good hand-writing")

Like I said, I'm still waiting for the clutch kit to arrive, and also on order is a new set of slip on muffler - it came with Two Brothers Racing cans, and it's a straight pipe, and it's way too loud. I think I'm going to really love this bike.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 18 (permalink) Old Aug 19th, 2019, 6:32 pm

Garage
Looking great.

BTW, there are DBKillers (generic too) made for those pipes, knocks a lot of the sound out of them.
J.B. likes this.

1991 900SS
1995 900SS SP #746
post #3 of 18 (permalink) Old Aug 19th, 2019, 7:29 pm

Garage
It's good to see another one being resurrected after a long slumber
Dukerdr, rwantin and J.B. like this.

1991 Ducati 900ss, 1991 Ducati 907ie. 1978 Yamaha SR500, 1979 Yamaha RD400 Daytona Special, 1973 Truimph X-75, 1975 Triumph T-160, 1976 Triumph T140, BMW's too many to list

post #4 of 18 (permalink) Old Aug 19th, 2019, 10:41 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by J.B. View Post
I really like the shape/look of those particular Corbin seats. They really remind me of the custom trimmed seats used in early 1980s AMA Production Superbikes. I'll have to go back on the Corbin website and see if it may be ordered without the piping along the edge of the seat so as not to interfere with body movements when standing the bike up in corners. That piping is the only thing that has held me back from ordering one.

(1996 900CR).

Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	1980 Honda CB750 racer - 001-SZD.jpg
Views:	15
Size:	210.4 KB
ID:	951375   Click image for larger version

Name:	Eddie Lawsons Kawasaki Z1000R number 21 - 001.jpg
Views:	16
Size:	88.4 KB
ID:	951377   Click image for larger version

Name:	SideburnFSEvo1.jpg
Views:	14
Size:	93.6 KB
ID:	951379   Click image for larger version

Name:	vf750f1.jpg
Views:	13
Size:	58.6 KB
ID:	951381  

Never Quit, Die Falling Forward
1996 900 CR. ...Go, Blow, Or Put A Hole In The Fence.
post #5 of 18 (permalink) Old Aug 19th, 2019, 10:41 pm

Great story and outcome. Looks like you addressed everything but the blinker fluid. Happy riding when the day comes.
J.B. likes this.
post #6 of 18 (permalink) Old Aug 19th, 2019, 11:54 pm

Another one brought back to life. Thanks for the progress pics and video.

Congrats and Enjoy!!

I cant seem to get YouTube videos to work on here...anyone know why? They play anywhere else but here.
J.B. likes this.

Ducati 1993 750ss/cr
The past: Honda 1000RR Fireblade F2 Yamaha R6 xj700 xs400 Suzuki GSXR600 Kaw 750 550
post #7 of 18 (permalink) Old Aug 20th, 2019, 8:12 am Thread Starter

Thank you all! I'm very excited about this one!

Quote:
Originally Posted by RockAZ View Post
BTW, there are DBKillers (generic too) made for those pipes, knocks a lot of the sound out of them.
I wish I knew this, should have researched a bit more - I already ordered the cans. I'll probably put the TBR cans for sale later.
post #8 of 18 (permalink) Old Aug 20th, 2019, 8:22 am Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rex Coil 7 View Post
I really like the shape/look of those particular Corbin seats. They really remind me of the custom trimmed seats used in early 1980s AMA Production Superbikes. I'll have to go back on the Corbin website and see if it may be ordered without the piping along the edge of the seat so as not to interfere with body movements when standing the bike up in corners. That piping is the only thing that has held me back from ordering one.

(1996 900CR).

I actually don't know if this seat is good - the one that came with was pretty tired, so figured I would either get it redone or get a replacement. Since I haven't ridden it yet, can't quite comment. I've had very good experience with Corbin seat on my 899 though, that was an arse saver!
post #9 of 18 (permalink) Old Aug 20th, 2019, 9:31 am
Prolific Poster Award

Quote:
Originally Posted by J.B. View Post
Thank you all! I'm very excited about this one!

I wish I knew this, should have researched a bit more - I already ordered the cans. I'll probably put the TBR cans for sale later.
I installed a couple set of D+Ds back in the day for customers...they would set off car alarms going through our parking lot!! LOL

Good on ya' for saving another SS! These bikes are the epitome of Ducati Spirit...Light, good handling and simple...
J.B. and bigbadbass2 like this.

'95 M900, '87 750 F1b, '95 GL1500, '06 620/800 MiniStrada...
Running on coffee and sarcasm...
post #10 of 18 (permalink) Old Aug 28th, 2019, 11:35 am Thread Starter

Well...
I put it all back together last night. Installed new clutch and Exact-Start cables. Barnett clutch kit was easy to install (the old one was completely shot, including throwout bearing), Exact-Start cables were bit fiddly to install, but what a difference that it makes! Also, the replacement exhaust manifold gaskets came in, so replaced the old ones. That was interesting - first, with the carbon build-up, I couldn't even tell that there was one, but after a bit of scraping, I could see the edge of it. I had to shove a small flat head screwdriver to pry them out. That was kind of fun. I put the fairings back on - the fit and finish is really not that great, is it? It's pretty fiddly there, too. Anyway...
I couldn't resist despite moody forecast, so this morning I took it for a short ride, first time properly on 900SS! It starts right up, there seems to be no major hiccups all the way to red zone, everything seems to be fine. I did hit false neutral on the up shift a couple of times, I probably just have to get used to the transmission. The throttle cable should be a big tighter, so I'll do that tonight when I go home. Oh, and I saw that the bleeder at the banjo bolt on the clutch slave cylinder has a small leak, I need to replace that bit. I can't wait to take it on a longer ride!
Dukerdr and 2004 999s like this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in