I had 899 Panigle, which I really loved. I put it up for sale simply because I found it to be a bit too big for me (I'm pretty short), then I still enjoyed it so much that I forgot that I put it up for sale, and the 'for sale' ad was still up till out of blue, a really nice guy made me an offer that was pretty good. A week prior, I sold my beloved Yamaha RD250 (I was seriously running out of garage space), so suddenly, it's summer and I had no running bike. I immediately looked for something, and because I always liked 900SS, that's what I looked for, and found 1996 SS SP for sale not too far from me (which is very rare, and that's why I overpaid for it despite how ratty it was), and brought it home. It was pretty ratty - 20k miles, no service record, a lot of scratches on the plastics, spider webs, etc., at least it turned freely and it even started up. The tires were shot, sprockets and chains were shot, clutch slave cylinder was shot, brakes needed rebuilt, carburetors needed cleaning (of course), wheel bearings, and other basic Ducati stuff, like belts, valve shims, stuff like that, just all the basic. And after almost two months, I finally got to start it up! I haven't ridden it yet because the clutch is completely shot, and I'm still waiting for the parts. I can't wait to ride it. By the way, I learned so much from this forum, like the valve shims, torque specs, all the how-to's, so thanks for that!
This found a good new home. I had a great time with it, even though I felt silly often when I was stuck in traffic.
And this came home. It's a whole lot rattier than it seems. Only if I could sell all the spiders (and acorn nuts) I found inside of the fairings, I'd be able to fund all the parts that I bought for this.
Things I did (some absolutely necessary, and some just upgrade/update)
- cleaning cleaning cleaning
- fixed the crack in the side fairing, did the best I could with the faded carbon fiber bits
- clean/rebuilt carburetors (what a wonderful word, especially when spelled out, 'carburetor'!)
- valve clearance adjustment (closing side was pretty off)
- new belts, tensioners, idlers
- had to fix the upper fairing/headlight mount (right side mirror mount was broken, so I had to weld it back - odd, because there's no sign of fall)
- cleaned the exhaust
- fuel pump and filter (that was a lot of fun for some reason)
- repainted the rims (with leftover rattle cans from previous projects), new tires, new wheel bearings
- new clutch slave cylinder (Oberon, I had good luck with it on my 899)
- new brake and clutch hydraulic lines (I had such a problem routing the front brake lines, and had really tough time bleeding it, too, but all is good now)
- a lot of stainless steel hardware (my local hardware store knows me as a "nuts and bolts guy with good hand-writing")
Like I said, I'm still waiting for the clutch kit to arrive, and also on order is a new set of slip on muffler - it came with Two Brothers Racing cans, and it's a straight pipe, and it's way too loud. I think I'm going to really love this bike.