Ignition Upgrade on a 900SS: Ignitech? Silent Hektik? ...? - Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 19 (permalink) Old Aug 19th, 2019, 8:01 am Thread Starter

Garage
Ignition Upgrade on a 900SS: Ignitech? Silent Hektik? ...?

I'm thinking about changing some ignition parts on my bike ('97 900SS Carb).

The plan has always been to go for an Ignitech module (146)combined with Nology PFC06S-coils (bottom of page, 2x83) and NGK racing leads (2x25). It will cost me around 400 incl shipping for these parts (I live in Europe). Another option is some Ignitech-kit (with matched coils, HAL-effect pick-up kit,...) from FastBikeGear but as they are located in New Zealand the price (incl. shipping and Belgian taxes and import duty) will be a little too high I'm afraid.

Also; recently I found yet another option: Silent Hektik. Don't now much about these modules but I've read some good reviews on them. A Silent Hektik kit would cost around 450 but on top of the Ignitech it will also include a flywheel (alu or steel), pickups, coils, and spark plug leads.

Does anyone has any experiences with these kits (Ignitech or Silent Hektik or anything else maybe)? Good advice? Alternatives? Do's and don'ts? The need for a nice ignition-discussion? Go!!!

Remember: I am looking for a good, smooth running engine. I am not interested in gaining HP (yes, there are people like that) or better performance at high rpm's. I use my bike for nice rides through the (speed-cam infested) countryside and to go to work. No track use. No top-speed rides.

Thanks!!

1997 Ducati 900 SS Full Fairing
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 19 (permalink) Old Aug 19th, 2019, 8:12 am

What about DynaTek (or is it DynaTech ?) ... They used to be a company that made good stuff.

I'll check right now myself!

Never Quit, Die Falling Forward
1996 900 CR. ...Go, Blow, Or Put A Hole In The Fence.
post #3 of 19 (permalink) Old Aug 19th, 2019, 8:28 am

I just wrote to Dynatek asking them about what they offer for these air cooled two cylinder Ducati engines. I'll forward any info that they provide.

Here's a link to their website ....

LINK = Dynatek Sportbike Products

BelgianDuc900SS likes this.

post #4 of 19 (permalink) Old Aug 19th, 2019, 8:53 am

I used the Ignitech set-up you described for many years with a lot of success. Liam at FastBikes in NZ has written a very helpful guide to working with this system that I recommend. Fwiw, the Ignitech systems seem to be the most popular and well supported.

1998 SS FE #194
2005 749R #362
2006 999 S
post #5 of 19 (permalink) Old Aug 19th, 2019, 9:17 am

These have been suggested around the forum.

LINK = ExactFit? High Voltage Ignition Coils Kit
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	California Cycle Works cables and coils kit - 01.jpg
Views:	8
Size:	37.0 KB
ID:	951353  

post #6 of 19 (permalink) Old Aug 19th, 2019, 11:10 am

Garage
Given what you are looking for I would use a ignitech and the NGK race wires and then stop. Cost wise it is not bad and the wires/caps are the weak link today due to age.

I have talked to people using the silent hectic systems and they liked them but I have no first hand knowledge plus the added cost for probably little gain over what the ignitech can do for you.
post #7 of 19 (permalink) Old Aug 19th, 2019, 12:25 pm Thread Starter

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rex Coil 7 View Post
I just wrote to Dynatek asking them about what they offer for these air cooled two cylinder Ducati engines. I'll forward any info that they provide.

Here's a link to their website ....

LINK = Dynatek Sportbike Products

As far as I know their coils are rather popular among Ducatisti (as you mentioned in post #5) but I can't find any info about the use of their ingition modules in '90s 2V Ducs...

They seem to have replacement ignitions for bevels but I can't find anything else.

Anyway; thanks for asking them about their products. I look forward to their answer.

post #8 of 19 (permalink) Old Aug 19th, 2019, 12:28 pm Thread Starter

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by FourRings View Post
I used the Ignitech set-up you described for many years with a lot of success. Liam at FastBikes in NZ has written a very helpful guide to working with this system that I recommend. Fwiw, the Ignitech systems seem to be the most popular and well supported.
I bought that guide a few months ago and I have to agree: it's very helpful and comprehensive. Even if you don't use an ignitech, it's a very good guide if you want to learn more about ignitions.

On top of that; Ignitech seems more popular than Silent Hektik. I did find much more info on the net about Ignitech. Silent Hektik seems to be more popular among Guzzi and Beemer riders...

post #9 of 19 (permalink) Old Aug 19th, 2019, 12:35 pm Thread Starter

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by ducvet View Post
Given what you are looking for I would use a ignitech and the NGK race wires and then stop. Cost wise it is not bad and the wires/caps are the weak link today due to age.

I have talked to people using the silent hectic systems and they liked them but I have no first hand knowledge plus the added cost for probably little gain over what the ignitech can do for you.
For now I am more leaning towards Ignitech. Especially because these units are plug and play.

And I like your idea. Just go for the Ignitech and the NGK wires and go from there.
The reason I was thinking about the Nology-coils is because Liam from FastBikeGear did mention them as the best working coils with an Ignitech.
But if I may believe the Ignitech guys, their module works just fine with the stock coils as well...
And if necessary, I can always fit Nology coils afterwards.

Thanks again for the rational insight!!

post #10 of 19 (permalink) Old Aug 20th, 2019, 7:51 am

Garage
IIRC all of the ignitechs I have used were with oem coils . outside of dual plugged heads all the BCM race bikes used stock coils with no issues. Add it to the list of things to dyno test one day .
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode