Ignition Upgrade on a 900SS: Ignitech? Silent Hektik? ...? - Page 2 - Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #11 of 19 (permalink) Old Aug 20th, 2019, 10:12 am

Quote:
Originally Posted by BelgianDuc900SS View Post
As far as I know their coils are rather popular among Ducatisti (as you mentioned in post #5) but I can't find any info about the use of their ingition modules in '90s 2V Ducs... Anyway; thanks for asking them about their products. I look forward to their answer.
They replied yesterday. Nothing ~specific~ within their lineup, but if the primary and secondary resistance of stock coils are given to them they can match up one of there coil sets to work with your bike.

I'm not pushing Dyna on anyone (or any other brand for that matter), it was more of an interest on my part to provide you with an alternative, since you asked for alternatives.

So there we have it! The Dyna mystery solved.

BelgianDuc900SS likes this.

'96 CR. Square peg among round holes.
Comply or be shunned .. comply! .. Comply! .. COMPLY!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #12 of 19 (permalink) Old Aug 20th, 2019, 9:08 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by BelgianDuc900SS View Post
..The reason I was thinking about the Nology-coils is because Liam from FastBikeGear did mention them as the best working coils with an Ignitech...
I'll be purchasing an Ignitech system very soon but don't want the extra few hundred dollar plus expense of Dynacoils or Nologies. I asked Jiri at ignitech a few months ago what to recommend and he replied: "You can to use original ignition coils or similar. We can offer coil IC-TCI-S". (see attached pic)

As my originals are over two decades old I'll buy a pair as they are only 30 Euro each.
I'll post the results after I install and test.

Cheers.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	ic-tci-s.jpg
Views:	16
Size:	12.1 KB
ID:	951451  
post #13 of 19 (permalink) Old Aug 22nd, 2019, 12:08 am Thread Starter

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rex Coil 7 View Post
They replied yesterday. Nothing ~specific~ within their lineup, but if the primary and secondary resistance of stock coils are given to them they can match up one of there coil sets to work with your bike.
That shall be the famous Dyna-coils. I remember when I was riding a Monster (more or less 10 years ago) and looking on the net for upgrades, Dyna coils were the most mentioned upgrade. I never used them so I don't know if they were worth the money but they were 'the talk of the town' back then.

Quote:
I'm not pushing Dyna on anyone (or any other brand for that matter), it was more of an interest on my part to provide you with an alternative, since you asked for alternatives.
I thank you for that!!

But what I don't understand is this:
I followed a few threads about Ignitech on different forums and I read the unofficial Ignitech manual from FBG and what I learned from that is that apparently coils with a lower primary restistance work better with Ignitech.

First Liam from FBG tested some coils and he had the best result with the Nology PFC06S (0,6 Ohm). Now he sells custom made Nology coils PFC10S (1 Ohm I assume). Special order if I may believe him (what I do). I can't find these coils anywhere on any Nology site so I assume he has them indeed specially made for his business and he sells them as "Nology ProFire Ignitech matched ignition Coils".

So I wonder why Ignitech advices their coils (or the stock ones) with a primary resistance of 3,3 Ohm when lower primary resistance works better with an Ignitech (according to someone who obviously knows a thing or two about bike-electronics and ignitions).

Anyway; I'll try the stock coils to begin with. I'm a complete newby when it comes to electronics so I think I'll better forget things like primary resistance and stuff 'cause I don't even know what it means...

Quote:
So there we have it! The Dyna mystery solved.
And a new one revealed!! Why are 1 Ohm coils 'better' then 3 Ohm coils and if they really are, why doesn't Ignitech sell such 1 Ohm bastards?

1997 Ducati 900 SS Full Fairing

post #14 of 19 (permalink) Old Aug 22nd, 2019, 12:13 am Thread Starter

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by grrss View Post
I'll be purchasing an Ignitech system very soon but don't want the extra few hundred dollar plus expense of Dynacoils or Nologies. I asked Jiri at ignitech a few months ago what to recommend and he replied: "You can to use original ignition coils or similar. We can offer coil IC-TCI-S". (see attached pic)

As my originals are over two decades old I'll buy a pair as they are only 30 Euro each.
I'll post the results after I install and test.

Cheers.
I can buy the Nology coils for 85 each...

So yeah, 60 vs 170... I don't know if the Nologies are really that much better.

Anyway; looking forward to your test results from the Ignitech.

Once I installed one myself I will post my review here as well.
But it's probably gonna be a winter project so my review shouldn't be expected before new-year...

post #15 of 19 (permalink) Old Aug 22nd, 2019, 12:18 am Thread Starter

Garage
And before someone tells me that I shouldn't make such a fuzz about stupid things like coils; that's just the way my brain works. Just telling me what the best option is doesn't work. I also wanna know why that is the best option.

Can't help it... I think too much.
Sorry for that.

post #16 of 19 (permalink) Old Aug 22nd, 2019, 8:16 am

Garage
IIRC the 3ohm coils are correct and 1 ohm are for injected bikes, don't trust that without double checking . A friend once used injected coils of the wrong type and was blowing ignition boxes on his carby. He swapped to oem carby coils and the problem went away after blowing abouot 3 ignition boxes. I was not directly involved so take it as rumor and do your homework before buying.
post #17 of 19 (permalink) Old Aug 22nd, 2019, 10:05 am

Quote:
Originally Posted by ducvet View Post
IIRC the 3ohm coils are correct and 1 ohm are for injected bikes, don't trust that without double checking . A friend once used injected coils of the wrong type and was blowing ignition boxes on his carby. He swapped to oem carby coils and the problem went away after blowing abouot 3 ignition boxes. I was not directly involved so take it as rumor and do your homework before buying.
Stands to reason. 1 ohm is getting very close to a dead short. Placing a 1 ohm load on a circuit designed for a 3 ohm load is increasing the load on that circuit by 300%. Nothing to trifle with.

'96 CR. Square peg among round holes.
Comply or be shunned .. comply! .. Comply! .. COMPLY!
post #18 of 19 (permalink) Old Aug 22nd, 2019, 12:04 pm Thread Starter

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by ducvet View Post
The Kokusans can't handle these low resistance coils. But the Ignitech apparently can.

Copied from the unofficial Ignitech Manual from FastBikeGear:

Quote:
The lower the resistance of the primary coil, the faster the current will reach its maximum value. Ducatis that were fitted with the Kukusan ignition systems used high resistance coils. (3.8 to 5.2 ohms). If you want to retain the ability to put your Kukusan ignition system back in your bike you will need to stick with high resistance coils. But you are likely see a performance gain by switching to coils with lower primary coil resistance.
And further:
Quote:
3-6 ohm coils Used on old points based ignition systems and early solid transistorised ignition systems. The high resistance of these coils limited the primary coil currents and stooped the points and transistors burning out. However these high primary resistance coils are less than an ideal match for use with the Ignitech TCIP4 ignition system.
0.5 ohm to 1.2 ohm coils Typically used on modern transistorised ignition systems that could handle higher coil currents.
P.s. I hope I don't violate any author rights by quoting the FBG Manual here. If so, I'm happy to ask the mods to delete this post. I do not have the intention of spreading this manual illegally. The manual can be found at the link above.

post #19 of 19 (permalink) Old Aug 23rd, 2019, 8:40 pm

I have the exactfit coils, upgraded wires and plugs, and the Ignitech. The two former items definitely improved cold starting and smoothed out the mid range, and that was before I started messing with ignition curves on the Ignitech.

I doubt there is any measurable increase in power but it is night and day in terms of smoothness and roll-ons, and makes the FCRs overall more liveable.

'93 900SS | '10 HM1100EVOSP
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode