Another charcoal canister thread (98' 900 SS/FE) - Sorry - Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 13 (permalink) Old Aug 15th, 2019, 9:20 am Thread Starter

Garage
Another charcoal canister thread (98' 900 SS/FE) - Sorry

Few pictures and a couple questions. See if anyone can help. Just want to remove the canister and associated plumbing. I had a 95' 900 SS/SP, and it was configured differently. This one (98' FE) has some additional plumbing with an object about half way to the canister that I can't identify (see photos). Chances are that the owner of the 95' I bought did some work to eliminate this before I bought it, so I never saw it configured correctly... Anyway, bottom line, I'd just like some advice on how to cap the holes in the intake tubes (pictured) once I pull the hose (there's a mating screw with a small air hole it in... that needs to be capped) and where to route the line that comes from the gas tank once I dump all the superfluous plumbing. The check valve coming off the gas tank may have failed too, but I won't know until I get all of the plumbing disconnected from it. Thanks.

Pix are (hopefully) posted in order from gas tank to canister.

Cheers
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Gas tank line.jpg
Views:	29
Size:	2.55 MB
ID:	951027   Click image for larger version

Name:	Random object in plumbing.jpg
Views:	33
Size:	2.42 MB
ID:	951029   Click image for larger version

Name:	Canister.jpg
Views:	32
Size:	2.35 MB
ID:	951031   Click image for larger version

Name:	Intake tube hose.jpg
Views:	34
Size:	2.67 MB
ID:	951033  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 13 (permalink) Old Aug 15th, 2019, 10:10 am

The random object is likely a one way check valve...keeps gas from spilling out...keep that one in place

Sent from my Pixel XL using Tapatalk
post #3 of 13 (permalink) Old Aug 15th, 2019, 10:17 am Thread Starter

Garage
The silver item just above the tank is the check valve.... I'm talking about the white plastic object in the plumbing about half way to the canister. The while line is so blocked that if I pull the line off the tank after a short ride, it depressurizes so much it sounds like someone letting the air out of a balloon.

post #4 of 13 (permalink) Old Aug 15th, 2019, 10:24 am

Garage
Small short screws to plug intake manifold holes.
run hose after tank vent checkvalve overboard often through steering stem, make hose long enough that it exits bottom of engine and not pointed at your tires.

Thats how we set up race bikes, don't you need it in California for street bikes?
post #5 of 13 (permalink) Old Aug 15th, 2019, 10:43 am Thread Starter

Garage
Ducvet

For the bikes to be "California compliant," you'll need the canister. BUT, once the bike is sold from the origin (at least for now), there are no emissions check on bikes thereafter. Only standard annual renewal of registration. Also, the bike came from out of state. California got sued years ago for charging people for bringing in cars from out of state... making them bring the vehicles into compliance with CA law. I recall my ex-wife getting a huge refund check from California DMV with an apology letter. AND, this bike is now 21 years old. If the law changes at all, which it's not currently scheduled to, it'll take a few years for that to be put in place... and at age 25, the bike is an 'antique,' and no longer subject to any standards. I want this stuff gone. It's a mess of tubing and does nothing. The canister is likely clogged and unusable anyway. I'll have to find some screws to plug the holes. Any idea what that white plastic object is in the plumbing?
post #6 of 13 (permalink) Old Aug 15th, 2019, 11:15 am

AS some one already said its a one way check valve they make it white one on
side and black on the other so you know how to install it.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	CV.jpg
Views:	19
Size:	137.0 KB
ID:	951039  
Buhgaboo and jbirdsaway2 like this.

2008 Hypermotard 1100S.
post #7 of 13 (permalink) Old Aug 15th, 2019, 11:27 am

Garage
Keep the rubber lines and nipples that connect to the intake manifolds in your parts box. They will come in handy when you want to vacuum sync the carbs
jbirdsaway2 likes this.

- 2002 998
- 1994 900SS-CR
post #8 of 13 (permalink) Old Aug 15th, 2019, 11:51 am

Garage
A check valve makes sense to me to be honest I have never looked into it just removed them. Totally get cleaning up the hoses BUT.... on many bikes I keep the hoses that go TO the canister from the manifolds and after they tee together I cap the single line. This single line makes fogging the motor a very easy job as you simply spray fogging oil into the one hose while running the bike and quickly and efficiently fog both cylinders.

Air cooled bikes are the wild card because we all like them as bare as possible so the choice is no hoses or easy fogging. Given your location if you do not run race fuel or store your bike for months at a time you may not need to fog anyway.
jbirdsaway2 likes this.
post #9 of 13 (permalink) Old Aug 15th, 2019, 2:53 pm Thread Starter

Garage
Yea... the riding season in N. California is.... about January 1 to December 31. Haha. Just kidding. There's a few cool days... and a couple rainy ones. I think I'll just dump all of that and put a simple check valve in to keep it from dumping gas all over the place. Cheers everyone!
post #10 of 13 (permalink) Old Aug 15th, 2019, 2:56 pm Thread Starter

Garage
hypermo

Doesn't it have to flow both directions? The check valve you posted says it goes one way only... I think the check valve on this bike is supposed to: 1. Keep gas from coming out when the tank heats up from the engine and sunshine (expansion), and 2., replace air in the tank as the fuel level decreases. It'll need to be a two way, or nothing, me thinks.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode