Dead Bike - Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 24 (permalink) Old Aug 6th, 2019, 2:05 pm Thread Starter

Dead Bike

92 900SS. The neutral light is intermittent, I went to start the bike when the bike was on the sidestand and I thought was in neutral, it was in gear the bike jolted forward and then stalled, since then I have no ignition lights or any electrics. The battery and all fuses are OK, the side stand switch has been bypassed. Any ideas? ignition switch, kill switch?
Thanks

Current bike 1993 900SS
Previous 3 x ST2, Aprilia Futura & Tuono, Laverda 750 Sport and 650 sport, Moto Guzzi 750 Targa, Honda Deauville (yes I know!), Honda CB500, CB72 & 400/4, Royal Enfield Crusader, Triumph Tiger Cub. 2 x Honda 125gp track bikes, Rotax/Nico Bakker 125 track bike & lots of others that I have even forgot about or I am ashamed to admit to.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 24 (permalink) Old Aug 6th, 2019, 2:31 pm

Garage
No idiot lights at all on the dash could be the "strip" fuse has blown, its located inside the right side front fairing cowl along the frame. It is a main fuse for all the power on the bike.

Does the starter solenoid click when you hit the starter button?
Does the starter make any noise at all?
Might try direct power to first the starter solenoid and then to the starter depending on the outcomes above.

1991 900SS
1995 900SS SP #746
post #3 of 24 (permalink) Old Aug 6th, 2019, 3:16 pm Thread Starter

Hi
Checked the strip fuse and its ok, there are no idiot lights at all. Ignition light not on, nothing when I hit the start button, no clicks or anything, the solenoid is nearly new. I tried switching the kill button a few times from on to off and once the ignition light came on with it switched to off, I hit the starter button and the light went off!.

Current bike 1993 900SS
Previous 3 x ST2, Aprilia Futura & Tuono, Laverda 750 Sport and 650 sport, Moto Guzzi 750 Targa, Honda Deauville (yes I know!), Honda CB500, CB72 & 400/4, Royal Enfield Crusader, Triumph Tiger Cub. 2 x Honda 125gp track bikes, Rotax/Nico Bakker 125 track bike & lots of others that I have even forgot about or I am ashamed to admit to.

post #4 of 24 (permalink) Old Aug 6th, 2019, 3:43 pm

Garage
OK I know this may be a stupid question, but how old is the battery? I have seen them go almost instantly. could be a dirty ground or even a loose term. on the battery. its worth a look if for nothing then to rule it out.

1991 Ducati 900ss-Euro, 1991 Ducati 907ie. 1978 Yamaha SR500, 1979 Yamaha RD400 Daytona Special, 1973 Truimph X-75, 1975 Triumph T-160, 1976 Triumph T140, BMW's too many to list
post #5 of 24 (permalink) Old Aug 6th, 2019, 3:46 pm

Garage
If you can get the rear wheel up on a stand, can you turn the rear wheel? Verify neutral.

The are two relays tucked in by the right side of the dash in tight to the headlight. One is the flasher relay, the other is something important because my bike has these symptoms if it is loose in its socket.

Also, follow the wires from the starter button down to the harness - is that loose?

At the solenoid there is a thin two post white plastic connector coming in from the back near the top (that is where the wires from the starter button end up eventually) - make sure that is tight and it only goes in one way.

Can you figure out a way to go direct to power on the starter? Know which post is which? Will the starter turn?
ifly65 likes this.

1991 900SS
1995 900SS SP #746

Last edited by RockAZ; Aug 6th, 2019 at 4:39 pm.
post #6 of 24 (permalink) Old Aug 6th, 2019, 8:00 pm

Garage
loose or corroded chassis ground?

'95 900SS/SP , '07 SS800 , '98 VFR800 , '19 CBR650R
post #7 of 24 (permalink) Old Aug 7th, 2019, 12:27 am

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigbadbass2 View Post
loose or corroded chassis ground?
Going by the description of how everything was lit/ready to go .. and then ~nothing~ ... what you've said here is exactly what I think as well.

I've had that exact same thing happen to my own vehicles, as well as customer's of mine. You take the ground connection (or even the positive) and wiggle it and turn it a bit, suddenly everything works. Usually this is because the connection (either ground or positive) has corrosion or other gook between the cable terminal and whatever it is supposed to be connected to.

I've had this happen A LOT on vehicles with lead/acid batteries, especially when the humid weather kicks in around here (that white corrosion gunk "grows" under those conditions). Hood up, me watching the battery, my wife will turn the key to ~start~ and a bit of a "pop" can be heard and maybe even a small spark can be seen where one of the cables attaches to the battery terminals, but then everything goes dead. Wrenching the cable terminals around by hand a little (improving the connection in the process) and suddenly it will start when she turns the key.

So, I'm with you Member *bigbadbass2 ... this really sounds like main cable terminal issues of one sort or another. It could be at the battery itself, or it could be where the ground cable attaches to the engine end of the cable.

'96 CR. Square peg among round holes.
post #8 of 24 (permalink) Old Aug 7th, 2019, 3:50 am Thread Starter

Thanks for all of the replies. I am 8 hours ahead of you so sorry for not responding sooner.
I upgraded a lot of the electrics a couple of years ago, including new stronger leads to the starter and earth leads + an additional earth, so I am sure that all of those are OK. The battery is in good condition & not very old. The starter solenoid was also replaced and it and the connections are good.
The rear wheel turns OK on the paddock stand.
What is the additional relay, can it be tested?

Current bike 1993 900SS
post #9 of 24 (permalink) Old Aug 7th, 2019, 6:55 am
Prolific Poster Award

Swap the two relays, I believe they’re the same ? Look at the number and diagram on them. I just had a bad battery that checked between 12.68 and 13.1 volts so do a load check to be certain.
RockAZ likes this.

'96 Ducati SS900CR, '07 S4RS, '06 Busa, '77 Bonny,
'00 Superglide, '85 Sportster, '78 SR500
post #10 of 24 (permalink) Old Aug 7th, 2019, 8:00 am Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by duc96cr View Post
Swap the two relays, I believe they’re the same ? Look at the number and diagram on them. I just had a bad battery that checked between 12.68 and 13.1 volts so do a load check to be certain.
Thanks, I am pretty certain that the battery is ok but will check it, if it is the relay are replacements available?

Current bike 1993 900SS
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode