800ss - Anyone Try 15/45 Sprocket Setup? - Page 2 - Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #11 of 16 (permalink) Old Jul 19th, 2019, 11:37 pm Thread Starter

Garage
ducvet - Thank you for the reply. I didn't realize comparing different years were apple and oranges and now will definitely take that into account. I like your idea to try first with the same chain and different setups before making a full change. I think I was just trying to save overall cost by using Gear Commander numbers as a gauge.

belter - Thank you for your reply as well. I actually didn't consider a tune. Also not sure the cost there, but I will look into that.

800ss
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #12 of 16 (permalink) Old Jul 21st, 2019, 1:35 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by Duc800ss1 View Post
SalkinSalkin - Thank you for that feedback. Did you have to still feather the clutch at low speeds after the change?
Yes, I still need to feather the clutch at low speed, just not as much as before. Especially in smaller roundabouts.

Gearing seems fine for motorway driving, though, approx. 120 km/h at 4000 rpm.

200 km/h at approx. 7000 rpm.

900SSie 2002 - Senna

Last edited by SalkinSalkin; Jul 21st, 2019 at 1:43 pm.
post #13 of 16 (permalink) Old Jul 22nd, 2019, 5:07 am

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Duc800ss1 View Post
Hi All,

I am looking to change my rear sprocket to either 43 or 45 tooth setup while retaining the 15 front sprocket. I have a 2005 800ss, pretty much just ride in the city and am not a fan of the low speed chugging.

I have read a bunch of posts here and looked at gear commander as well. Seems like 15/43 is a popular setup. Has anyone tried the 15/45 setup? Also please let me know your general thoughts as well.

Thanks!
Same thing here execpt on a '97 900SS. (stock is 15/37)

I was thinking about changing the rear sprocket to a larger one but (just like you) I didn't know how much larger to go.
So instead of changing the rear sprocket to a 39 or 41 I changed the front to a 14.

The idea was that this way I could test the ratio change in a cheap way (no new, longer chain needed and a front sprocket is cheaper than a rear).

Ratios:
15/37 (stock): 0,405
15/39: 0,384
14/37: 0,378
15/41: 0,365

So with the 14/37 I'm pretty close to the 15/39 ratio and I'm happy with the way the bike acts. So next time I change the chain and sprockets I go for a 15/39 setup. The reason that I will go back to a 15 teeth front sprocket is that with a 14 teeth sprocket you have to keep an eye on the chain guard on the swingarm to prevent the chain eats itself through that guard into the swingarm. So for now I make sure to keep my chain on the correct tension and check the chainguard weekly for excessive wear.

This method translated to your bike would give:

15/39 (stock): 0,384
14/39: 0,358
15/43: 0,348
15/45: 0,333

So in your case you could test a 14/39. That's just above the 15/43. If you're happy with the result the 15/43 will probably be the best setup. If a 14/39 sprocket doesn't give you by far the change you're looking for go for a 15/45.

I think this is the easiest, fastest and cheapest way to test another ratio.
(with a big thx to ducvet, who suggested me this method of testing)

1997 Ducati 900 SS Full Fairing

post #14 of 16 (permalink) Old Jul 22nd, 2019, 5:30 am

Garage
I should have read the whole thread more carefully before replying.
That way I should have seen ducvets reply... which I now basically repeated.
:shame:

1997 Ducati 900 SS Full Fairing
post #15 of 16 (permalink) Old Jul 22nd, 2019, 1:16 pm

Garage
Quote:
I should have read the whole thread more carefully before replying.
That way I should have seen ducvets reply... which I now basically repeated.
:shame:
I disagree, some times it is how something is worded so even though the basic part is repeated you may write it in a way that someone else can understand better than how I left it.
belter and BelgianDuc900SS like this.
post #16 of 16 (permalink) Old Jul 22nd, 2019, 5:54 pm Thread Starter

Garage
BelgianDuc900SS - This is really helpful and appreciate the response. I agree with ducvet that it does help to hear things written differently and also nice to hear feedback with similar advice. I am all for the cost savings approach and trying the 14 front sprocket and then moving to 15 again and having a 43 rear with new chain if I am happy with the feel. Also I am considering using the G2 throttle tamer as well as it seems to have great feedback from this forum community. After all this is done, I am just going to ride and enjoy my motorcycle.

ducvet - As always...appreciate the help.

SalkinSalkin - Thank you also for the follow up answer.

Thanks!
BelgianDuc900SS likes this.

800ss
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode