95'cr, damn tripple wont come off - Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 24 (permalink) Old Jun 26th, 2019, 12:15 pm Thread Starter

95'cr, damn tripple wont come off

BLARGH, this has stopped my progress, I am trying to redo some of my front end on the old project. I've loosened everything up, which I believe to be 3 punch bolts, and a "head" nut. I can't pull, pry or tap it off easily. I confess I could find a better "tap it off" setup than I'm using. The bike is on it's kickstand, I don't really have any way to elevate it. Perhaps a rearstand and a bottle jack under horizontal cyl? Any tips to get this bitch off would be greatly appreciated. :-)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 24 (permalink) Old Jun 26th, 2019, 12:26 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by Erics75218 View Post
BLARGH, this has stopped my progress, I am trying to redo some of my front end on the old project. I've loosened everything up, which I believe to be 3 punch bolts, and a "head" nut. I can't pull, pry or tap it off easily. I confess I could find a better "tap it off" setup than I'm using. The bike is on it's kickstand, I don't really have any way to elevate it. Perhaps a rearstand and a bottle jack under horizontal cyl? Any tips to get this bitch off would be greatly appreciated. :-)
You might need to loosen the lower triple clamp pinch bolts as well. The sticks could be in a ~bind~ (a little) ... especially with weight still on the front wheel.

Whatever you do, don't lose patience and begin banging on things. If you find that your temper is flaring up, take a break, watch a bit of TV, or perhaps do some searching on Tou Yube on the topic.

As far as lifting the front of the bike to get weight off of the front wheel .. I've no idea. In fact that is something I'd like to know about myself.

1996 900CR.
Never quit, die falling forward.
post #3 of 24 (permalink) Old Jun 26th, 2019, 12:33 pm

You will probably have to unload the forks. Either lift the bike via a front lift that uses a pin in the head tube or suspend the frame from something. With weight on the front wheel / forks you will likely not get the top triple clamp off without a lot of force and probably some damage. I used a Powerstands front stand with a pin that goes into the bottom of the steering tube to lift the bike. Then after loosening everything I used some light blows from a rubber mallet on the top triple clamp to remove it. If you are going to use a front stand, you will also have to use a rear stand to properly stabilize the bike.

post #4 of 24 (permalink) Old Jun 26th, 2019, 12:40 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by spacey View Post
You will probably have to unload the forks. Either lift the bike via a front lift that uses a pin in the head tube or suspend the frame from something. With weight on the front wheel / forks you will likely not get the top triple clamp off without a lot of force and probably some damage. I used a Powerstands front stand with a pin that goes into the bottom of the steering tube to lift the bike. Then after loosening everything I used some light blows from a rubber mallet on the top triple clamp to remove it. If you are going to use a front stand, you will also have to use a rear stand to properly stabilize the bike.
I think you mean putting the stand's pin in the hole in the bottom of the lower triple clamp, right? Not the "head tube"?

I've seen pictures of some folks using a folding ladder to straddle the front of the bike then using ratcheting tie down straps hooked to the frame and attached to the top of the ladder. It wouldn't be my first choice, but in a pinch it may be an option.

I've successfully used a heat lamp to apply some heat to things that have been stuck. The lamp needs to be a few inches from whatever it is you're heating up, and it needs to be on there for a good 45 minutes or so. However great care must be taken anytime heat is applied to anything ... wires, grips, plastic stuff ... none of that likes heat. So use best judgement.

Rex.

1996 900CR.
post #5 of 24 (permalink) Old Jun 26th, 2019, 12:41 pm Thread Starter

I believe a tube front stand is the answer. I have a rear stand so I think this is the right way to go. I'm not gonna bang on shit but I was using a rubber mallet with a force I'm comfortable with and no dice, so I had to ask on here what I can do.
post #6 of 24 (permalink) Old Jun 26th, 2019, 12:42 pm

Garage
Pit Bull makes front & rear service stands for these bikes -I have both but I dont know if the front stand would do you any good doing what you are trying to do -my guess is it would not, 1st pic is the rear 2nd pic is the front
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0731.JPG
Views:	16
Size:	580.7 KB
ID:	947037   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0732.JPG
Views:	20
Size:	579.1 KB
ID:	947039  

1991 Ducati 900ss-Euro, 1991 Ducati 907ie. 1978 Yamaha SR500, 1979 Yamaha RD400 Daytona Special, 1973 Truimph X-75, 1975 Triumph T-160, 1976 Triumph T140, BMW's too many to list
post #7 of 24 (permalink) Old Jun 26th, 2019, 12:43 pm

Garage
I use them both on my 91 900ss & my 91 907ie

1991 Ducati 900ss-Euro, 1991 Ducati 907ie. 1978 Yamaha SR500, 1979 Yamaha RD400 Daytona Special, 1973 Truimph X-75, 1975 Triumph T-160, 1976 Triumph T140, BMW's too many to list
post #8 of 24 (permalink) Old Jun 26th, 2019, 12:46 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by rennsportmotorrad View Post
I use them both on my 91 900ss & my 91 907ie
I can't see how the front one (depicted above) would take any weight off of the triple clamps though. The bike may as well be sitting on the front wheel.

... ????

1996 900CR.
post #9 of 24 (permalink) Old Jun 26th, 2019, 12:48 pm Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by rennsportmotorrad View Post
Pit Bull makes front & rear service stands for these bikes -I have both but I dont know if the front stand would do you any good doing what you are trying to do -my guess is it would not, 1st pic is the rear 2nd pic is the front
THat's a fork support front stand, vs the type that has a long arm on it that reaches under the fairing and has a large pin that goes...I'm guessing...inside the steering head tube to support the bike from that point.
post #10 of 24 (permalink) Old Jun 26th, 2019, 12:50 pm
Super Moderator

Garage
With it on the sidestand you probably won't get it off, but if you do you definitely won't get it back on.

Either a lift with a pin under the lower triple or suspend it somehow.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode