95'cr, damn tripple wont come off - Page 2 - Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #11 of 24 (permalink) Old Jun 26th, 2019, 12:52 pm

Garage
Black Widow brand front triple lift comes with 5 assorted sized pins, lousy pic shows on a Triumph 675 Daytona, coincidentally in my garage right now. Worthy of trust, its up safe and stable.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	triumph20.jpg
Views:	22
Size:	145.6 KB
ID:	947041  
Erics75218 likes this.

'95 900SS/SP , '07 SS800 , '98 VFR800 , '19 CBR650R
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #12 of 24 (permalink) Old Jun 26th, 2019, 12:54 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by Erics75218 View Post
THat's a fork support front stand, vs the type that has a long arm on it that reaches under the fairing and has a large pin that goes...I'm guessing...inside the steering head tube to support the bike from that point.
Correct. I use a stand from "Powerstands" that has a long articulated arm with a pin on the end that goes under the front fairing and into the bottom of the steerer tube. They have different pins for different make bikes. The same stand can also be configured for lifting by the fork.
post #13 of 24 (permalink) Old Jun 26th, 2019, 2:25 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigbadbass2 View Post
Black Widow brand front triple lift comes with 5 assorted sized pins, lousy pic shows on a Triumph 675 Daytona, coincidentally in my garage right now. Worthy of trust, its up safe and stable.
... and we have a winnah!

Erics75218 likes this.

1996 900CR.
Never quit, die falling forward.

post #14 of 24 (permalink) Old Jun 26th, 2019, 3:20 pm

Garage
I just looked and talked to the guys at Pit Bull, they have a conversion for the front fork stand I have that makes it into one that mounts in the hole in the bottom of the steering stem. -I'm going to get one of them since I already have the stand I done need to purchase another complete stand, The conversion is only $90.00 sounds fair to me -especially since I have zero $$ in the ft & rear stands I currently have it's a bargin at twice the price lol

1991 Ducati 900ss-Euro, 1991 Ducati 907ie. 1978 Yamaha SR500, 1979 Yamaha RD400 Daytona Special, 1973 Truimph X-75, 1975 Triumph T-160, 1976 Triumph T140, BMW's too many to list
post #15 of 24 (permalink) Old Jun 26th, 2019, 3:35 pm

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by rennsportmotorrad View Post
I just looked and talked to the guys at Pit Bull, they have a conversion for the front fork stand I have that makes it into one that mounts in the hole in the bottom of the steering stem. -I'm going to get one of them since I already have the stand I done need to purchase another complete stand, The conversion is only $90.00 sounds fair to me -especially since I have zero $$ in the ft & rear stands I currently have it's a bargin at twice the price lol
Sorry I'm coming late to the party on this one. A head-lift stand is the the best answer.

But a head lift stand doesn't let you service the steering head bearings. When I did mine I supported the bike by the front head with a steel bar - lift the front with your current fork lift stand, then run a steel bar under the front head and hold it up with a couple of jack stands, then set the bike down on it as you remove the fork lift. Of course - you must use a sturdy rear stand while doing this, I used a Pitbull. If you're wondering, the steel bar was a piece of 3/4 inch square stock I picked up a Home Depot.

Have a spotter handy the first time you do it until you get the feel of how everything settles together.

Removal is reverse of assembly - lift the fork with your fork lift stand, pull the bar, put the wheel back down. Super stable. I did a complete front end rebuild including pounding out/in steering head races with this setup and didn't have any issues. It has got to be infinitely better than hanging your bike with a noose under a rickety-ass ladder.

Pictures are worth thousands of words so...

Rex Coil 7 likes this.

1994 900 SS/CR
2017 939 Supersport S
It's Italian. If I can get it to start, it'll win.
post #16 of 24 (permalink) Old Jun 26th, 2019, 3:50 pm

Garage
Thats a great idea mate --I know that to service the steering head bearings you could not use a stand that goes under the forks or in the bottom triple clamp hole --but that is the perfect solution. Thank you for sharing

1991 Ducati 900ss-Euro, 1991 Ducati 907ie. 1978 Yamaha SR500, 1979 Yamaha RD400 Daytona Special, 1973 Truimph X-75, 1975 Triumph T-160, 1976 Triumph T140, BMW's too many to list
post #17 of 24 (permalink) Old Jun 26th, 2019, 3:52 pm Thread Starter

Ok I don't like spiders so I went with the Viper instead of the Black widow. Both appear to be the same 5 pin black metal style. 70$ on Amazon!

Thanks for the help everyone.

I dont have the space to leave.ladders or bars on things downstairs so the lift will let me do it and then go in closet

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk
post #18 of 24 (permalink) Old Jun 26th, 2019, 4:35 pm
Seņor Member

@psyopper has a great solution. Two different methods I used, first was with open rafters in my garage, I used ratchet straps through the frame and around the rafters to get the front end off the ground. I could do any front end work needed. Second time in a finished garage, I built a wide sawhorse that would straddle the bike over the tank and, again, using ratchet straps lifted the front end off the ground. Both times I used a rear stand to keep the bike stable. As stated earlier, loosen the lower tree pinch bolts, too. If the fork tubes are a bit off alignment it may prevent you from removing the top tree.

1996 900 SS/SP #C25
2013 Moto Guzzi V7 Special
2014 Royal Enfield Continental GT
post #19 of 24 (permalink) Old Jun 26th, 2019, 9:05 pm

i use a stand that goes into the frame tubes where the engine mount bolts are. bloke who made them isn't doing it anymore, but great stand to have. it's nominally the swingarm pivot stand, with two pieces of rod instead of a long pin. Swingarm Pivot Stands & Tee Stands
2004 999s likes this.

know all wanker
post #20 of 24 (permalink) Old Jun 27th, 2019, 3:07 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by psyopper View Post
... It has got to be infinitely better than hanging your bike with a noose under a rickety-ass ladder.

Pictures are worth thousands of words so...

Doubtlessly better than the ladder thing. I used the same tactic on a bike project a few years back ... converting a 1984 Honda V45 Magna into a sortof ~superbike~ ... thing. Stuck a large breaker bar through a gap in the frame's rear end, and supported it with two jackstands, a lot like what you've depicted. Worked a treat.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	1984 Honda Magna 700 - 001.jpg
Views:	9
Size:	9.4 KB
ID:	947143   Click image for larger version

Name:	1984 Honda Magna 700 - 003.jpg
Views:	10
Size:	10.1 KB
ID:	947145   Click image for larger version

Name:	PA160216.JPG
Views:	12
Size:	655.3 KB
ID:	947147   Click image for larger version

Name:	VFX-AMA-medtank-hiforks-stockshocks-16wheel-1.jpg
Views:	13
Size:	280.3 KB
ID:	947149  

1996 900CR.
Never quit, die falling forward.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode