7/8" handlebar conversion on '96 900SS/CR ??? - Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 20 (permalink) Old Jun 26th, 2019, 9:51 am Thread Starter

7/8" handlebar conversion on '96 900SS/CR ???

I'm doing my homework on converting the 1996 900SS/CR from clip ons to 7/8" handlebars. I'm not certain I'll actually need to do that, but researching options in the event my neck injury calls for a more upright riding position. I'm aware that the fairing would not fit bars that are much higher up than the stock rig.

I've been sniffin' around in an attempt to locate whatever parts/pieces are available but have had very little success. There's some aftermarket stuff out there, but I've not located anything that is specifically for my model/year. I know the stock upper triple has a 51mm hole for the fork legs (I actually measured that) so the hope is that there is a triple within the Ducati line-up that would permit 7/8" handlebars.

One dimension that I don't know is what the offset is of the stock triples, and since whatever upper triple would be used must have the same offset as the stock triples have, that's important.

So maybe there's some Monster upper triple with the same offset as my model and 51mm fork clamps .... er sumthin' ????

Way out on the far end of this is the notion of using (perhaps) and entire front end from (let's say) a Yamaha R6 .. the vintage that uses telescopic forks rather than USD forks. I say that because I happen to have two sets of telescopic R6 front ends complete with triples, brakes, fenders, and wheels. There may be adaptive steering head bearing kits that would help move that notion along, but the steering stem may need machining to the correct length.

Please know I'm just throwing stuff at the wall and seeing what sticks here.

Thanks for any help and/or ideas on this.

Never Quit, Die Falling Forward
1996 900 CR. ...Go, Blow, Or Put A Hole In The Fence.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 20 (permalink) Old Jun 26th, 2019, 10:40 am

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rex Coil 7 View Post
I'm doing my homework on converting the 1996 900SS/CR from clip ons to 7/8" handlebars. I'm not certain I'll actually need to do that, but researching options in the event my neck injury calls for a more upright riding position. I'm aware that the fairing would not fit bars that are much higher up than the stock rig.

I've been sniffin' around in an attempt to locate whatever parts/pieces are available but have had very little success. There's some aftermarket stuff out there, but I've not located anything that is specifically for my model/year. I know the stock upper triple has a 51mm hole for the fork legs (I actually measured that) so the hope is that there is a triple within the Ducati line-up that would permit 7/8" handlebars.

One dimension that I don't know is what the offset is of the stock triples, and since whatever upper triple would be used must have the same offset as the stock triples have, that's important.

So maybe there's some Monster upper triple with the same offset as my model and 51mm fork clamps .... er sumthin' ????

Way out on the far end of this is the notion of using (perhaps) and entire front end from (let's say) a Yamaha R6 .. the vintage that uses telescopic forks rather than USD forks. I say that because I happen to have two sets of telescopic R6 front ends complete with triples, brakes, fenders, and wheels. There may be adaptive steering head bearing kits that would help move that notion along, but the steering stem may need machining to the correct length.

Please know I'm just throwing stuff at the wall and seeing what sticks here.

Thanks for any help and/or ideas on this.

The easiest option is to find a set of triples from a Monster of the same vintage. The SS and Monster used the same forks (50/54 mm clamping diameters), with the same brakes and same wheels. The SS has a 25mm offset, the Monster a 22mm offset I believe, so the handling would be slightly different/slower. That said, they will fit right in with no changes needed to your forks, no need for shims in the triple, and no need to change or modify the frame or stem - they literally drop in, but with a slightly different offset. You can likely get these on ebay for less than $200.

After that, I believe there's a company in Germany that makes a replacement upper yoke for the OEM SS triple that accomodates a 7/8" bar. You likely already found this. Around $600 IIRC, and it's the OEM offset, you simply take off your old top yoke and put this on instead.

If you have a complete front end sitting around doing nothing, Classified Moto will do the work for you - you send them both triples and tell them what you want the final assembly to be. They take all the critical measurements and do the work with what you send them. Last I looked it was around $600. Doesn't necessarily make sense for your R6 forks, but it did when I was considering an SPS Ohlins fork with magnesium triple from a 996.

1994 900 SS/CR
2017 939 Supersport S
It's Italian. If I can get it to start, it'll win.

Last edited by psyopper; Jun 26th, 2019 at 7:02 pm.
post #3 of 20 (permalink) Old Jun 26th, 2019, 11:04 am Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by psyopper View Post
The easiest option is to find a set of triples from a Monster of the same vintage. The SS and Monster used the same forks (50/54 mm clamping diameters), with the same brakes and same wheels. The SS has a 25mm offset, the Monster a 22mm offset I believe, so the handling would be slightly different/slower. That said, they will fit right in with no changes needed to your forks, no need for shims in the triple, and no need to change or modify the frame or stem - they literally drop in, but with a slightly different offset. You can likely get these on ebay for less than $200.

After that, I believe there's a company in Germany that makes a replacement upper yolk for the OEM SS triple that accomodates a 7/8" bar. You likely already found this. Around $600 IIRC, and it's the OEM offset, you simply take off your old top yolk and put this on instead.

If you have a complete front end sitting around doing nothing, Classified Moto will do the work for you - you send them both triples and tell them what you want the final assembly to be. They take all the critical measurements and do the work with what you send them. Last I looked it was around $600. Doesn't necessarily make sense for your R6 forks, but it did when I was considering an SPS Ohlins fork with magnesium triple from a 996.
Supah Killah Infos ... thanks TOOOOONNNS.

Those R6 forks are the same set that most every flat track bike uses these days. Race Tech has a full-on Gold thing, springs, etc. for those sticks. The brakes are plenty good enough and the front wheel weighs like nothing. About five years ago I began buying bit/pieces of Ducati stuff to begin building a bike. Frames with clear titles, seats, fuel tanks, rear suspension pieces, and a junked engine (chunks missing from one of the engine mounts) that I used for mockups. The idea back then was to use one of the R6 front ends.

Health issues got in the way (no thanks to the friggin Veteran's Admin) and that project was left unattended to. So that's why I have a couple of R6 fronts here. If I recall, All Balls used to carry the needed conversion bearing set for the Ducati headstock. I may be wrong on that ... much has happened in the previous five years so my recollection may be out of tune, needing a rebuild.

Thanks so much for the Monster cross-over data. I may snag me a set in the next couple of months.

So are there other ways of getting there?

~scratching head .... thinking ... thinking ... don't mind the smell of smoke, it's just my brain over-clocking~

post #4 of 20 (permalink) Old Jun 26th, 2019, 12:11 pm Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by psyopper View Post
The easiest option is to find a set of triples from a Monster of the same vintage. The SS and Monster used the same forks (50/54 mm clamping diameters), with the same brakes and same wheels. The SS has a 25mm offset, the Monster a 22mm offset I believe, so the handling would be slightly different/slower. That said, they will fit right in with no changes needed to your forks, no need for shims in the triple, and no need to change or modify the frame or stem - they literally drop in, but with a slightly different offset. You can likely get these on ebay for less than $200....
Woops ... what about the steering stops? Will there be any trouble/issues there? I certainly wouldn't want the fork sticks banging into my nearly perfect 900SS fuel tank when they are steered to the stops! One of the things (one of many) that were allowing me to turn loose of $4K for this bike is the excellent condition of the body panels and the fuel tank ... no dents, no Bondo, not a scratch, zee-row rust inside of the tank.

I've got MIG - TIG - Oxy+Acetylene welding equipment at my disposal, but I'd rather not have to deal with welding up extended or modified steering stops if I don't have to. If I would need to go that far, I'd also do-up the steering head bracing to get ahead of any cracking/failures that may show up later. Attached pic is of an especially nice job.

Sooo ..... what of steering stops ... and what of steering stops?

Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	1996 900SSCR - 8.jpg
Views:	18
Size:	98.0 KB
ID:	947021   Click image for larger version

Name:	1996 900SSCR - 10.jpg
Views:	14
Size:	123.2 KB
ID:	947023   Click image for larger version

Name:	1996 900SSCR - 11.jpg
Views:	13
Size:	117.3 KB
ID:	947025   Click image for larger version

Name:	1996 900SSCR - 12.jpg
Views:	12
Size:	111.5 KB
ID:	947027   Click image for larger version

Name:	1996 900SSCR - 17.jpg
Views:	15
Size:	127.1 KB
ID:	947029  

Name:	1996 900SSCR - 19.jpg
Views:	10
Size:	100.6 KB
ID:	947031   Click image for larger version

Name:	1996 900SSCR - 26.jpg
Size:	103.8 KB
ID:	947033   Click image for larger version

Name:	Ducati SS - 109.jpg
Size:	557.4 KB
ID:	947035  

post #5 of 20 (permalink) Old Jun 26th, 2019, 12:47 pm

I would mock up something with wood / broom handle and stick it onto your current triple clamp to see what would fit. There is not much clearance around the windscreen or tank. The lower triple clamp does have some set screws to set the wheel lock position to avoid hitting stuff, but there isn't much adjustment available and the SS already has precious little lock for low speed maneuverability.
post #6 of 20 (permalink) Old Jun 26th, 2019, 2:11 pm Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by spacey View Post
I would mock up something with wood / broom handle and stick it onto your current triple clamp to see what would fit. There is not much clearance around the windscreen or tank. The lower triple clamp does have some set screws to set the wheel lock position to avoid hitting stuff, but there isn't much adjustment available and the SS already has precious little lock for low speed maneuverability.
Damned good notion. I already bought in to the possibility (more like probability) that the stock fairing won't work with bars atop the triple. But that's ok, there's alternatives. I've been told that the stock fairing really doesn't offer any real wind blocking for the rider anyhow (unless in a full tuck).

I'd like to look into the possibility of doing something like the attached pics. Imagine replacing the oil cooler in the pics with an LED lightbar (as a headlamp).

But again, this handlebar thing will only be needed if my neck just cannot deal with the low slung clip-ons. I've a permanent inoperable injury to the Brachial Plexus on the right side of my neck. Thank all that is good I can still play bass and guitar (and keys)!

Attached Thumbnails

Name:	1981 Honda CB750 1042cc racebike - 001.jpg
Size:	653.4 KB
ID:	947043   Click image for larger version

Name:	CB 750 - 001-SZD.jpg
Views:	16
Size:	299.0 KB
ID:	947045   Click image for larger version

Name:	Eddie Lawsons Kawasaki Z1000R number 21 - 001.jpg
Size:	88.4 KB
ID:	947047   Click image for larger version

Name:	Brachial Plexus - front view - 1A.jpg
Size:	204.3 KB
ID:	947049   Click image for larger version

Name:	6string Carvin with AmpegSVT-1.jpg
Views:	17
Size:	277.3 KB
ID:	947051  

post #7 of 20 (permalink) Old Jun 26th, 2019, 3:29 pm

Garage
Call Nick 407-347-3498 he's here in Florida has a ton of used Ducati parts I have gotten a few things from him and he treated me good -at least I think so. He's a nice guy and he may have a set of Monster triple clamps that will work for you and do exactly what you want, probably at a good price.

1991 Ducati 900ss, 1991 Ducati 907ie. 1978 Yamaha SR500, 1979 Yamaha RD400 Daytona Special, 1973 Truimph X-75, 1975 Triumph T-160, 1976 Triumph T140, BMW's too many to list
post #8 of 20 (permalink) Old Jun 26th, 2019, 7:00 pm

Garage
Early monster trees have the same adjustable steering stops as the SS and would be the easiest to convert, I use SS trees on my monster track bikes. Yes you will have more work to do to make it all work which brings me to the question... if you are turning your SS into a monster why not just trade into a monster? Same engine but better rear suspension design and a superbike looking chassis. You can run superbike bars or monster city tall bars depending in your fit.

I own both and think the SS is slightly better looking due to the classic fairing design but if you are removing the fairings you are doing to have a naked SS which while good is no longer as good looking as the classic monster and has few benefits overa monster at that point.

A customer just sold the bike you are building in that he had a shop Cafe out a 900CR with no fairings, tube bars and a monster round headlight . The customer bought it as his first Ducati but decided he wanted a less molested version so sold it.
Iwannaduc and ifly65 like this.
post #9 of 20 (permalink) Old Jun 26th, 2019, 7:28 pm

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rex Coil 7 View Post
I've got MIG - TIG - Oxy+Acetylene welding equipment at my disposal, but I'd rather not have to deal with welding up extended or modified steering stops if I don't have to. If I would need to go that far, I'd also do-up the steering head bracing to get ahead of any cracking/failures that may show up later. Attached pic is of an especially nice job.
If you were going to go through all that trouble, why not just get one of these:

The Monster set up is probably the least problematic for what you are describing. A whole litany of different bars are available...particularly if you swap the risers to ones that will hold any of the Pro-Taper style bars available all over the web...that or you could go the Spiegler superbike bar route.....sean

Quote:
My garage: Twins:2000.5 Mille R, 2000 996, 1994 EX500 basket case 1993 900SS. Suzukis: 2004 GSXR600, 1992 GSXR750 oil boiler, 1983 XN-85 Turbo
post #10 of 20 (permalink) Old Jun 27th, 2019, 12:13 am Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iwannaduc View Post
If you were going to go through all that trouble, why not just get one of these:

The Monster set up is probably the least problematic for what you are describing. A whole litany of different bars are available...particularly if you swap the risers to ones that will hold any of the Pro-Taper style bars available all over the web...that or you could go the Spiegler superbike bar route.....sean
Let's not forget that ROX offers a very wide breadth of risers that allow one to configure their bars into any number of positions .... up, forward, backward ... and far less money than the Spiegler offerings. The ROX stuff also accommodates "fat bars" and Pro Tapers as well by mounting a conversion riser set in 7/8" risers.

I've seen the BBB Fab support brace before, however I thought it was a custom fabbed piece, I wasn't aware of it being a commercially available item. Thanks!

Quote:
Originally Posted by ducvet View Post
Early monster trees have the same adjustable steering stops as the SS and would be the easiest to convert, I use SS trees on my monster track bikes. Yes you will have more work to do to make it all work which brings me to the question... if you are turning your SS into a monster why not just trade into a monster? Same engine but better rear suspension design and a superbike looking chassis. You can run superbike bars or monster city tall bars depending in your fit.

I own both and think the SS is slightly better looking due to the classic fairing design but if you are removing the fairings you are doing to have a naked SS which while good is no longer as good looking as the classic monster and has few benefits overa monster at that point.

A customer just sold the bike you are building in that he had a shop Cafe out a 900CR with no fairings, tube bars and a monster round headlight . The customer bought it as his first Ducati but decided he wanted a less molested version so sold it.
So, sell the bike that I just bought, and buy a Monster? I haven't even ridden my SS yet. That makes no sense to me, sorry. I'd also point out that changing trees and bars is hardly "turning the SS into a Monster".

Let's remember that I am looking at options ... in case my neck issue won't work with the low handlebars of the SS. Also, "good looking" is a subjective issue.

If I sell my SS and buy a Monster ... then I'm no different ... no more unique ... than every other monkey's uncle that has a Monster. When you say "Superbike", are you referring to a Ducati "Superbike"? I don't see how that would get me any farther than what I already own. I'd still need to do something with the bars if my neck won't deal with the tucked in riding position.

Crucially, I don't have the money to uprate to a more recent model either. Besides, I prefer the air cooled engine.

Regarding the adjustable steering stops on the Monster triples, that's fine and all ... however Member *psyopper made mention of the offset of the Monster triples being 3mm shorter than the SS triples. So even though the Monster triples have "the same adjustable steering stops as the SS", there is 3mm less offset. Adjustable steering stops will not make up for that ... well, at least very much. That's why I asked about it.

I think we're getting off track here. It serves to remember that I may not need to change bars/triples at all. I'm simply looking ahead into possible options should I have problems with the low bars on the SS. And just because I happen to like the 1980s AMA Superbikes doesn't mean that is what I'm trying to do with my SS. Sure, I'm bound to be influenced and inspired by some of the aspects of those bikes, but having built a number of motorcycles and ATVs I know where the line is when it comes to making an apple out of a station wagon (as in attempting to do something so far beyond what a given bike's ethos is that it's a lost cause).

Don't get me wrong, I really appreciate the input from everyone so far. But unless the SS is so wrong for me that I simply cannot ride it at all, I've no intention of selling it and going on yet another hunt for a 1990s air cooled Monster in as good condition with as low miles on the OD as the SS/CR I bought. Things would have to be very (very!) wrong with the SS/CR before I even began to take selling it and buying a Monster into consideration.

I appreciate where your heart is in regards to your suggestions. I understand you've nothing but the best of intentions, and I sincerely appreciate that. Thanks very much for your willingness to help.

I'm still open to more suggestions, ideas, and any experiences from others.

Rex.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode