7 year itch - Refresh n rebuild project - Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum
  • 1 Post By jimmyjojo

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 7 (permalink) Old Jun 23rd, 2019, 10:53 pm Thread Starter

7 year itch - Refresh n rebuild project

Howdy All,

My how time flies, looking back over my posts here it's almost 7 years to the day that I brought my '93 900SS home!

They say owning a Ducati makes you a better mechanic, and for me its true... but its a journey that I have thoroughly enjoyed over the years ( a few frustrations here n there) but combined with this forums knowledge (I'm more of a lurker than a poster) I have learnt a lot and enjoyed developing my mechanical understanding, from near total noob graduating to not entirely incompetent!

As the bike is getting close to 3 decades, I have been wanting to do a tear down and rebuild for a while, as much to keep learning as for the personal challenge. With my first baby on the way shortly, the reality is my riding time is going to be greatly diminished, and after talking with my wife we agreed on the idea that having a "me project" in the garage will be a good thing.

This is also good timing as the belts need doing, and the valves, the FCR's are probably due a breakdown and clean + a smattering of other things, and registration is also due any day now which i can avoid with a rebuild and rego at a later date.

The objective:
My main aim is to get the bike cleaned up and restored to a near newish condition, with a few choice modifications. I'm hoping to avoid mission creep, and am not attempting to make the fastest bestest lightest SS... just nice Italian gal who's up for the odd mountain canter on a sunny Sunday.

Rebuilding the brake callipers, getting the forks rebuilt/resprung, maybe splash out on a Ohlins at the back, paint the frame, get the loom looked at, maybe a fancy swing arm or light wheels if the budget affords... a few choice parts here n there.

Initial Questions:
I'm about to store the bike before break down, planning on draining the fuel tank and carbs and removing the battery, I am open to any other suggestions, for initial storage and prep.

Also open to any thoughts tips when tearing the bike apart -I plan to be meticulous with photos and labelling of bolts and parts, but happy to receive any wisdom on offer so as not to end up with a "bike in a box"

Hope some of you guys and gals are up for the ride with me, will likely be slow n steady progress but thats all part of it.

Thanks all, j.

(Pic is a few years old, bike looks good from far, but is far from good)
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	duck 1.png
Views:	27
Size:	1.45 MB
ID:	946767  
ifly65 likes this.

''The man hunched over his motorcycle can focus only on the present instant of his flight; he is caught in a fragment of time cut off from both the past and the future; he is wrenched from the continuity of time . . . in other words, he is in a state of ecstasy; in that state he is unaware of his age, his wife, his children, his worries, and so he has no fear, because the source of fear is in the future, and a person freed of the future has nothing to fear.''
-Milan Kundera
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 (permalink) Old Jun 23rd, 2019, 11:46 pm

Pretty sickle!

How long are you planning on storing it? And will it be stored far from home?

I ask because it's actually best to leave the bike fueled up while stored and start it/run it about once every two weeks rather than draining the carbs and tank. Many times when carbs are drained for summer months (which will be sneaking up on you in that part of the planet) the gaskets and seals can dry out and actually shrink and/or crack, rendering the carbs in need of a full-on rebuild. So if it's not too far from home, and it's not a major hassle it's best to leave the bike fueled and run it no less than once every two weeks or so. Run it until it gets too hot to leave your hand on the heads (about five minutes or so).

Best of luck! Again, sweet looking bike!

Never Quit, Die Falling Forward
1996 900 CR. ... LOW ZOOT
post #3 of 7 (permalink) Old Jun 24th, 2019, 7:25 am
Prolific Poster Award

Take lots of pictures. I put the fasteners and small misc. in zip lock bags and label them. I have a large legal pad and take notes. I put groups of related things in smaller boxes so I don’t need to search for anything.

'96 Ducati SS900CR, '07 S4RS, '06 Busa, '77 Bonny,
'00 Superglide, '85 Sportster, '78 SR500

post #4 of 7 (permalink) Old Jun 24th, 2019, 10:08 am

Garage
Best of luck with the project, I'll be keeping up with your progress. And also congratulations!

Cheers

Joey A.
2009 848 14.5k
post #5 of 7 (permalink) Old Jun 24th, 2019, 10:25 am

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rex Coil 7 View Post
Pretty sickle!

How long are you planning on storing it? And will it be stored far from home?

I ask because it's actually best to leave the bike fueled up while stored and start it/run it about once every two weeks rather than draining the carbs and tank ... the gaskets and seals can dry out and actually shrink and/or crack, rendering the carbs in need of a full-on rebuild....
It's also a good idea to leave fuel in the tank so it doesn't rust. 3/4 or 7/8 full is best, leaves room for expansion but not enough room for moisture to condense. Assuming you don't already have a bunch of water in the tank to begin with.

1994 900 SS/CR
2017 939 Supersport S
It's Italian. If I can get it to start, it'll win.
post #6 of 7 (permalink) Old Jun 25th, 2019, 12:49 am

Looking forward to seeing the progress!

Ducati 1993 750ss/cr
The past: Honda 1000RR Fireblade F2 Yamaha R6 xj700 xs400 Suzuki GSXR600 Kaw 750 550
post #7 of 7 (permalink) Old Jun 25th, 2019, 2:42 am Thread Starter

Thanks all for the kind words, it's these little corners of the internet that help remind me how awesome people can be when they come together, this forum in particular has such a generous vibe.

Rex Coil 7 - I am lucky to have my own garage under the house, its not a dream man cave but its dry and secure with an ok selection of tools. Thanks for the good tips noted from yourself and others re keeping some fuel in the tank to prevent moisture & gumming up. It's easy enough for me to fire her up every couple of weeks and share some Ducati love with my neighbours!

Progress will more likely be slow rather than steady, but the joy is in the journey... or so I've heard.

cheers, j.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode