Clutch fluid loss - Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 21 (permalink) Old Jun 10th, 2019, 9:15 pm Thread Starter

Garage
Clutch fluid loss

Hi guys - went to ride the 900 SS/SP on Sunday. Bike started right up after two weeks. However, the clutch lever was without any resistance (punishment or not riding it...). Checked the reservoir and it was empty. Was not expecting this since no indication from almost weekly rides it was losing fluid, and weirdly - I cant find a pool of liquid under the bike. I will be getting the replacement fluid etc (I have the Snyder Maintenance book - need it since first Ducati, period, and bike in a long time). Any ideas what might have failed and lead to the leak? I need to investigate further of course - but no fluid on floor has me flummoxed. Thanks in advance for any suggestions or leads to follow...

96 900SS
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 21 (permalink) Old Jun 10th, 2019, 9:48 pm

did you take off the belly pan to see if it leaked somewhere in there? (and hence didnt make it to the floor)

i'm thinking a pinched brake line, or a failed slave cylinder. i'd think you'd be able to visually inspect and see a leak from the slave.

also inspect where the lines bolt up to the master and the slave. perhaps a bolt got loose? i'm betting its that, and its the bolt on your master cylinder...

i mean, the fluid had to end up somewhere, rite?!! hahaha

2007 1098, nemesis TC, full Termi and race ECU, full Ohlins, and Marchesini wheels
post #3 of 21 (permalink) Old Jun 10th, 2019, 9:58 pm Thread Starter

Garage
Agree - the fluid can't have disappeared/evaporated. I was also thinking its within the fairings. On initial inspection nothing was soaked/wet from reservoir to where the line was too hard to track. More effort on my part - will follow the line.

96 900SS

post #4 of 21 (permalink) Old Jun 10th, 2019, 10:53 pm
Señor Member

As slippery as brake fluid is, had it leaked from a fitting or the hose failed between the reservoir and the slave, you would have seen some fluid. Fill the reservoir, bleed it a lot, then look for a possible leak. The clutch slave can be difficult at times to properly bleed since it’s lower than the master. You may want to try reverse bleeding it, from the slave to the fitting at the master.

1996 900 SS/SP #C25
2013 Moto Guzzi V7 Special
2014 Royal Enfield Continental GT
post #5 of 21 (permalink) Old Jun 10th, 2019, 11:23 pm

Garage
Pop the clutch cover off to see if the fluid is in there soaking up the clutch pack rings - o-ring on the clutch rod could be shot.

1991 900SS
1995 900SS SP #746
post #6 of 21 (permalink) Old Jun 11th, 2019, 5:51 am Thread Starter

Garage
Thanks for the ideas. One thing I noticed - even when I was buying the bike (and at that time I saw it as a good thing as bike was in such great original condition w/ <6k miles)- is that the clutch and brake lines appear to be "original" to the bike. These are all rubber, that's certain. Back of my mind is I may need to replace these lines if I'm going to ride the bike - which is the reason I bought it.

96 900SS
post #7 of 21 (permalink) Old Jun 11th, 2019, 6:10 am

it'll have a leaking slave seal. either get a new seal and redo the slave - you'll need to give it a good linish by this time - or replace it with an aftermarket.
DesmoDog and ifly65 like this.

know all wanker
post #8 of 21 (permalink) Old Jun 11th, 2019, 9:42 am

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by belter View Post
it'll have a leaking slave seal. either get a new seal and redo the slave - you'll need to give it a good linish by this time - or replace it with an aftermarket.
^^^This. If your slave cylinder is leaking, you may not see any fluid. Particularly if the rubber accordion like boot is in place and intact, fluid will build up in it, and work it's way out around the push rod or any kind of a hole. As the slave is just above and forward of the countershaft sprocket, fluid can leak out onto the chain. Once it starts doing that, you won't notice it because only a little leaks out at a time. The chain, then carries it away to get flung off onto the rear wheel and underside of the hugger and undertail.

The oring on the push rod doesn't have anything to do with clutch fluid retention. The push rod goes through the lay shaft and the orings simply seal that opening....sean
alliswell and ifly65 like this.

Quote:
My garage: Twins:2000.5 Mille R, 2000 996, 1994 EX500 basket case 1993 900SS. Suzukis: 2004 GSXR600, 1992 GSXR750 oil boiler, 1983 XN-85 Turbo
post #9 of 21 (permalink) Old Jun 11th, 2019, 12:35 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by Luftgekult View Post
Thanks for the ideas. One thing I noticed - even when I was buying the bike (and at that time I saw it as a good thing as bike was in such great original condition w/ <6k miles)- is that the clutch and brake lines appear to be "original" to the bike. These are all rubber, that's certain. Back of my mind is I may need to replace these lines if I'm going to ride the bike - which is the reason I bought it.
I would suggest doing Dual braided brake lines/clutch line for sure. It made a huge difference in brake power and a smooth clutch. These are from Galfer…
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	20190421_110525.jpg
Views:	19
Size:	2.20 MB
ID:	945633   Click image for larger version

Name:	20190423_131918.jpg
Views:	21
Size:	2.30 MB
ID:	945635   Click image for larger version

Name:	20190421_110506.jpg
Views:	20
Size:	2.61 MB
ID:	945637   Click image for larger version

Name:	20190423_131843.jpg
Views:	20
Size:	2.38 MB
ID:	945639  

Ducati 1993 750ss
The past: Honda 1000RR Fireblade F2 Yamaha R6 xj700 xs400 Suzuki GSXR600 Kaw 750 550
post #10 of 21 (permalink) Old Jun 11th, 2019, 10:57 pm

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Iwannaduc View Post
^^^This. If your slave cylinder is leaking, you may not see any fluid. Particularly if the rubber accordion like boot is in place and intact, fluid will build up in it, and work it's way out around the push rod or any kind of a hole. As the slave is just above and forward of the countershaft sprocket, fluid can leak out onto the chain. Once it starts doing that, you won't notice it because only a little leaks out at a time. The chain, then carries it away to get flung off onto the rear wheel and underside of the hugger and undertail.

The oring on the push rod doesn't have anything to do with clutch fluid retention. The push rod goes through the lay shaft and the orings simply seal that opening....sean
Which is pretty much what happened with mine when the slave died. I replaced my OEM slave with an Oberon unit, which gives a lighter pull on the lever.
alliswell likes this.

'95 900 Superlight IV #064

Mods are: K&N filter, airbox lid on with rubber trumpets removed, MBP collets, full SMI (SilMoto Italia) spaghetti exhaust with 'open' carbon cans, 41mm FCR's - #182 mains!, Barnett alloy clutch basket, Oberon slave cylinder, Ohlins fork springs, Ohlins rear shock, Verlicchi swingarm.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode