1996 900 SS/CR - PROJECT THREAD PHOTO JOURNAL - Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 58 (permalink) Old Jun 7th, 2019, 10:04 pm Thread Starter

Thumbs up 1996 900 SS/CR - PROJECT THREAD PHOTO JOURNAL

BIKE PURCHASE THREAD LINK = https://www.ducati.ms/forums/57-supe...0cr-today.html

PROLOGUE:

Ok, so I bought the bike, I've had some basic questions about a few basic things answered very graciously by the generous folks of this fantastic membership, and I've made enough decisions about how I am going to move forward with this project to begin building some momentum.

Let It Begin!

DE-SHITTING THE STOCK CARBS:

The first thing that requires attention is what to do about the gummed up fuel system. The previous owner put the bike up in Winter of 2018 and forgot to drain the carbs and fuel tank prior to storing the bike. The carbs are gooped and non functional, the fuel tank is rust free, but it has some varnish near the bottom. The previous owner had filled the tank with gas a few weeks ago in hopes fresh fuel would help in diluting some of the poop in the bottom.

Initially I wanted to replace the 23 year old carbs with Keihin FCR41s (the $1400.00 kit which includes new Motion Pro throttle cables, a Motion Pro twist throttle assembly, a K&N air filter, and the bits and nibbles needed to mount the carbs). Rather, I've decided to have the stock carbs rebuilt. I'm using "Gordon" of Custom Carb Services for the carb rebuild. Gordon is one of our members here in Ducati.ms, and he came with very high recommendation by a number of forum members. I'll leave the fresh gasoline in the tank after I've removed it to allow for as much dilution of the crappy cruddy poopy goop at the bottom as possible. Pictures and hand drawn diagrams of the hose connections and routings will be done to assist with reassembly when the carbs are returned to me.

FIRST PURCHASE OF SOME NEW GOODIES MADE:

I've been reading a lot of threads about the 900 CR and various things other 900CR owners have done to improve their bikes, and taken note on things I wish to do. One of those things is replacing the stamped steel guide plates that the rear axle goes through which acts as a wheel alignment guide when adjusting the chain's tension or reinstalling the rear wheel. Apparently, that stock gold colored stamped steel "guide plate" is fonky, wonky, and stinky. It tends to rotate out of position when the axle nut is tightened to specified torque, scratching the piss out of the swingin' arm in the process. The preferred cure for this is to replace the stamped steel guide with a pair of machined aluminum guides made by Moto Techniques and they're called Chain Adjuster Plates.

So it seems those are somewhat difficult to come by these days. I got lucky as hell and located a pair of them on eBay, New Old Stock ("NOS"), and still in their original packaging. The seller had exactly one pair, and no more to be had. I paid $86.98 for the pair, shipped. See attached pics. Before I ordered them, I measured the swingin' arm to make certain these plates would fit. The listed dimensions are (quoting their eBay ad) "Measured about 1 15/16" (1.9375") between the internal sides and 11/16" (0.6875") hole diameter". My swingarm measured 1.925" +/- .. and the axle holes measured at 0.692" +/- ... well within required specs. I hit them with the Paypal number, and snagged them before they were gone!

... ...

Next to purchase will be clutch, fr brake, rr brake braided stainless steel ... Teflon lined ... plastic coated hydraulic lines ("Galfer"), and a pair of new cam timing belts ("Exact Fit"). I'll be posting pics of teardown and carb removal as I get to that. For now, we're starting with this initial entry into this project photo journal.

I expect this project thread to run well into the Fall of this year (2019) with several (many?) pages... so get comfortable, make some popcorn, poor a pint, and hang on for the ride!

Enough bla bla bla .... I'm hittin the ~SUBMIT NEW THREAD~ button!

L8R SK8RS !!!!

Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Axle Plates - 1.jpg
Views:	34
Size:	247.3 KB
ID:	945293   Click image for larger version

Name:	Axle Plates - 2.jpg
Views:	28
Size:	244.2 KB
ID:	945295   Click image for larger version

Name:	Axle Plates - 4.jpg
Views:	28
Size:	213.1 KB
ID:	945297   Click image for larger version

Name:	Axle Plates - 5.jpg
Views:	22
Size:	208.4 KB
ID:	945299   Click image for larger version

Name:	Axle Plates - 6.jpg
Views:	21
Size:	222.2 KB
ID:	945301  

jimmyjojo likes this.

Never Quit, Die Falling Forward
1996 900 CR. ... LOW ZOOT
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 58 (permalink) Old Jun 8th, 2019, 12:49 am Thread Starter

GPR Deeptone Inox slip ons.

I just contacted the good folks at GPR (exhaust manufacturers). Surprisingly enough, they actually wrote back at this time of night! They're piecing together something for me that isn't listed in their on line catalog. I may know something by Monday re; one of their Deeptone Inox slip on kits. See pics.

I really like how the "link pipe" (the pipe between the stock headers and the muffler) is that it clears the pilot's boot heel pretty well. That "S" shape is the key.

Attached Thumbnails

Name:	GPR Exhaust - 9.jpg
Views:	54
Size:	330.3 KB
ID:	945305   Click image for larger version

Name:	GPR Exhaust - 3.jpg
Views:	58
Size:	279.0 KB
ID:	945307  

post #3 of 58 (permalink) Old Jun 8th, 2019, 3:09 am Thread Starter

More GPR Deeptones .. and .. Quarter Fairings.

... now that I'm looking for them, there are more of those GPR Deeptone Inox set ups than I first thought. Several configurations as well (high pipes, low pipes) ...

... I really like the fairings on the yellow bike and the orange bike. So the yellow one has both the fairing and stingers I am into.

... I figure if I use a fairing mount from the 1000 SS to attach to the actual fairing, and the fairing mount from the '96 900 CR to mount to the motorcycle's frame ... I can then weld the two fairing mounts to each other to create a fairing mount that adapts the 1000 SS style quarter fairing to the '96 900 CR bike frame. Easy peasy. Then it becomes a matter of working out what I want to do about headlight(s).

Things are beginning to take shape in my mind's eye.

I've been playing with all of this long enough tonight ... time to hit the sack.

Attached Thumbnails

Name:	Ducati SS - 32.jpg
Views:	42
Size:	268.2 KB
ID:	945309   Click image for larger version

Name:	Ducati SS - 33.jpg
Views:	36
Size:	234.4 KB
ID:	945311   Click image for larger version

Name:	Ducati SS - 37.jpg
Views:	37
Size:	833.0 KB
ID:	945313   Click image for larger version

Name:	Ducati SS - 38.jpg
Views:	34
Size:	789.8 KB
ID:	945315   Click image for larger version

Name:	Nickel plated tank (brushed with Scotchbrite pads) - 2.jpg
Views:	33
Size:	418.4 KB
ID:	945317  

Name:	900 SS - NICE FRONT FAIRING - 1.jpg
Views:	40
Size:	86.8 KB
ID:	945319  

post #4 of 58 (permalink) Old Jun 9th, 2019, 5:03 am

the yellow fairing is from kaemna - https://www.ducati-kaemna.com/superk...i-e-ab-98.html

the orange one is some sort of ssie fairing rotated downward in the radical ducati style.
Rex Coil 7 likes this.

know all wanker
post #5 of 58 (permalink) Old Jun 9th, 2019, 7:58 am Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by belter View Post
the yellow fairing is from kaemna - https://www.ducati-kaemna.com/superk...i-e-ab-98.html

the orange one is some sort of ssie fairing rotated downward in the radical ducati style.
Precious info there ... thank you very much!

post #6 of 58 (permalink) Old Jun 9th, 2019, 3:17 pm

Rex coil 7, I learned a bit about tanks during my resto. Im not sure what you have in your tank, but I would look deep with a mirror and flashlight. If you are seeing any signs of discoloring or rust I would use Evaporust. I did a 4 day soak which mine really needed. My tank looked horrible and I removed a lot of rust pieces and sludge. I used 3 gallons and rotated the tank every few hours. You wont need to do this long of a soak to clean your tank up like new. The stuff is amazing and much easier on the metal finish than a full acid etch.

I know you don't need to just FYI...I would not use POR15 or Kreem after reading horror stories. I have been told by my mechanic that the epoxy coating can lift after 2 years causing worse problems with the entire fuel feed system and the carbs.

Ducati 1993 750ss/cr
The past: Honda 1000RR Fireblade F2 Yamaha R6 xj700 xs400 Suzuki GSXR600 Kaw 750 550
post #7 of 58 (permalink) Old Jun 9th, 2019, 3:59 pm

Re getting you carbs back on.
Gordon did a stellar job on mine too. Very impressed with all the "work in progress" photos he sent along and the final result I got back.
Found the bottom cable hook-up to require more hands/fingers then I could manage. So, I made up a quick "essential tool" to hold the throttle blades wide open - out of a coat hanger no less. This makes it much easier.
Also, hope you didn't remove the crankcase breaker hose from the air box. Easier to disconnect it back where the clamp is. It's a "free running press fit" and once off the reinstall will get you searching for more lubricants than are likely meal discussions..
Good luck and I'm following your progress.
Attached Files
File Type: pdf Crank Case Breather hoese clamp.pdf (191.5 KB, 33 views)

1995 900 SS SP #001 (now sold - again)
1975 860 GT (sold - but got me hooked)
post #8 of 58 (permalink) Old Jun 11th, 2019, 8:53 am Thread Starter

Thank you, Member *Finally Home .... good info there. I've not removed the carbs yet because it's been so frelling HOT here the last few days. We're under a severe weather warning until tomorrow, expected highs are to hit or exceed 115 degrees (perhaps as high as 120+), with lows in the upper 80s. It's almost 7:00am right now, and it's currently 84 degrees. Yuk.

Movin on ....

I contacted GPR, got the pipes thing squared away. I paid for the Deeptone Inox set and am expecting them inside of 10 days or so. I've heard how they sound on a couple/few videos .... shall I share? Sure, why not! Short little vids, about 1 minute long each. Man, the smartphone microphones sure pick up the clutch rattle! But the sound of the Deeptones is pretty cool.

I'm also deeply considering retrofitting the quarter fairing from the post 1997 "Pierre" SS. I may add an LED lightbar beneath the "chin" of the quarter fairing since the highways and roads out here can be dark as pitch, especially when there is no moon. Some further research on those ideas is required.

And the billet adjuster plates I bought are due in by this coming Thursday (day after tomorrow).

It feels as though things are moving at a snail's pace ... but that's just because I'm itching to get things rolling!!

Another thing that has my attention is how using a 120/70/17 front tire gives the bike that lovely early 1980s AMA Superbike look. Those old bikes used a 16 inch front wheel and an 18 inch rear wheel. That configuration was adopted by all 4 Jap bike makers, as well as Ducati and BMW. The idea was the smaller front wheel made the 500+ pound street bikes more nimble with better turn-in. All I know is I LOVE the look. Well, if you look at the thumbnail of the 750SS attached below you can see how the visual illusion makes it appear as though it has the 16 inch front and 18 inch rear. You don't even need to expand the thumbnail to a larger image to see the effect. Me likes! I attached a pic of one of the 80's machines for contrast. Well, actually two images. I couldn't resist the picture of Freddy Spencer at the 1985 Daytona (first year that Daytona was a 200 mile race). He's on the throttle and the rear end is just stepping out a little bit. Killer!

Uh ... and one more of a Moriwaki ... y'know ... just cuz. Another 16 inch front set up.

One last issue; since I allowed my bike license to lapse years ago, my wife and I will be signing up for the Arizona motorcycle safety class. I think the deal is if you pass the course your "M" addendum is issued without having to deal with the DMV hassles. I'll verify that and post an update.

Ok, boring entry this time. More to come soon!!

... Rex.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	Under-chin LED lightbar - 3.jpg
Views:	15
Size:	383.5 KB
ID:	945595   Click image for larger version

Name:	GPR Exhaust - 4.jpg
Views:	11
Size:	280.9 KB
ID:	945597   Click image for larger version

Name:	ducati-ss-750-super-sport-2000-3.jpg
Views:	17
Size:	370.9 KB
ID:	945599   Click image for larger version

Name:	1984 Honda VF750R Interceptor racer - 002.jpg
Views:	10
Size:	77.2 KB
ID:	945601   Click image for larger version

Name:	1985 Daytona Honda Vf750 first year they raced 200 miles - Freddie Spencer won on this bike - 00.jpg
Views:	9
Size:	94.6 KB
ID:	945603  

Name:	Moriwaki Superbike - 1980s - 006.jpg
Views:	11
Size:	98.1 KB
ID:	945605  

post #9 of 58 (permalink) Old Jun 11th, 2019, 12:43 pm

Just a suggestion. If you haven't sent your carbs off yet you might want to pick up a Haynes manual and a set of rebuild kits off of ebay, mine were $44.00 for both. Its not hard to do a carb rebuild...really. Just watch some YT videos and grind some small flat heads to the exact sizes, if needed to remove parts.

-Take pics as you go
-Write down any size markings on needles, jets...etc.
-The rebuild kit will or should have the same #s.
-use carb cleaner on everything metal, not on plastic or rubber.

Ducati 1993 750ss/cr
The past: Honda 1000RR Fireblade F2 Yamaha R6 xj700 xs400 Suzuki GSXR600 Kaw 750 550

Last edited by ifly65; Jun 11th, 2019 at 12:59 pm.
post #10 of 58 (permalink) Old Jun 11th, 2019, 12:47 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rex Coil 7 View Post

One last issue; since I allowed my bike license to lapse years ago, my wife and I will be signing up for the Arizona motorcycle safety class. I think the deal is if you pass the course your "M" addendum is issued without having to deal with the DMV hassles. I'll verify that and post an update.
Im sort of hoping this means you have not driven a Ducati yet! You will love it when you are done.

Ducati 1993 750ss/cr
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode