1996 900 SS/CR - PROJECT THREAD PHOTO JOURNAL - Page 9 - Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #81 of 106 (permalink) Old Aug 19th, 2019, 12:41 am Thread Starter

just cuz ...

Image #1 = aluminum crush washer. It's flat and solid.

Image #2 = copper crush washer. It's tubular and designed to crush flat.

Fun facts from THE INTERNET .... so you know they are absolutely true! ....... (quoting)

"Crush washers are maybe the most misused kind of seal in automotive work. They're commonly found any time a threaded fastener has to seal in a liquid; the most common example is the crush washer under the oil drain plug of most cars. Tighten the plug, the soft copper washer deforms to fill any gaps, making a liquid-tight seal.

What makes them misused is these are supposed to be one-time-use items. You can maybe get away with reusing them once, if you're careful; but after that, the washer gets work hardened and doesn't deform anymore. The usual response to this is to crank down on whatever it's sealing to try to stop the leak. In the case of the oil drain plug, this usually results in stripping out the threads in the oil pan.

Most parts stores have a rack of oil pan crush washers of various sizes; they're cheap, and should be replaced with every oil change. But what if you have an odd size? I was faced with this on Saturday, when I needed to replace the two crush washers that sealed a banjo fitting on the hydraulic pump for the Mercedes. They were an odd size and none of my local shops stocked anything like them.

It turns out there's a trick to re-using these things -- but only if they're copper. (If it's aluminum, you're out of luck, but copper is more common.) You have to anneal the metal to counteract the work-hardening and make it soft again. Hold the washer in a pair of pliers and heat it with a torch until it glows cherry-red. (An ordinary plumber's torch will do.) Once it cools, take a file and file down any ridges or burrs until the washer is smooth again. Now you can reuse it and it won't leak.

One more note -- you don't have to reef down on these things to get them to seal. That just risks stripped threads. With a good crush washer, tightening about a quarter turn past where you start to feel resistance will usually do the job."

(end quote).

Or ... instead of annealing ... howz about just putting in a new one!

10-8.

Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Crush washer - aluminum - 01.jpg
Views:	7
Size:	14.1 KB
ID:	951327   Click image for larger version

Name:	Crush washer - copper - 01.jpg
Views:	7
Size:	10.1 KB
ID:	951329  

'96 CR. Square peg among round holes.
Comply or be shunned .. comply! .. Comply! .. COMPLY!

Last edited by Rex Coil 7; Aug 19th, 2019 at 12:47 am.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #82 of 106 (permalink) Old Aug 19th, 2019, 12:33 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rex Coil 7 View Post

Sometimes it's all too easy to get caught up in things ... usually due to a situation of information overload.

~Fin~
Agreed! I am looking forward to seeing the build pics!!!

Ducati 1993 750ss/cr
The past: Honda 1000RR Fireblade F2 Yamaha R6 xj700 xs400 Suzuki GSXR600 Kaw 750 550

Last edited by ifly65; Aug 19th, 2019 at 1:30 pm.
post #83 of 106 (permalink) Old Aug 19th, 2019, 1:31 pm

Garage
What seems to amaze me on some of these posts more then anything else is Just how freeking Cheap some people are Guys It's a bloody crush ring that gets changed every 3-6K Just purchase the correct part when it's needed for Gods sake, your riding a Ducati not a Puch--And I am not just picking on you I say the same thing to my BMW customers that cry & whine about the price. Most of you--Not all--but most of you dont ride the bike far enough in one year to have to change the oil due to mileage, But you bitch about a $3.00 crush ring

1991 Ducati 900ss-Euro, 1991 Ducati 907ie. 1978 Yamaha SR500, 1979 Yamaha RD400 Daytona Special, 1973 Truimph X-75, 1975 Triumph T-160, 1976 Triumph T140, BMW's too many to list

post #84 of 106 (permalink) Old Aug 19th, 2019, 1:54 pm Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by rennsportmotorrad View Post
What seems to amaze me on some of these posts more then anything else is Just how freeking Cheap some people are Guys It's a bloody crush ring that gets changed every 3-6K Just purchase the correct part when it's needed for Gods sake, your riding a Ducati not a Puch--And I am not just picking on you I say the same thing to my BMW customers that cry & whine about the price. Most of you--Not all--but most of you dont ride the bike far enough in one year to have to change the oil due to mileage, But you bitch about a $3.00 crush ring
As I said, I "gave in". It's not as much a problem with the actual cost, it's the principle of paying $3 bucks for a $0.05 cent item.

Again, as I said, I'm over it.

Or more accurately put ... I've gotten over myself.

post #85 of 106 (permalink) Old Aug 19th, 2019, 2:05 pm

Garage
lol--It's not just the crush rings it's all kinds of things I see here --but I see the same stuff on the BMW forums as well, It;s like the old joke --Whats the cheapest thing on a BMW?----The Rider---seems the same can be said of a Ducati as well. It just amazes me what people will cheap out on ---yet they will spend stupid money on farkles

1991 Ducati 900ss-Euro, 1991 Ducati 907ie. 1978 Yamaha SR500, 1979 Yamaha RD400 Daytona Special, 1973 Truimph X-75, 1975 Triumph T-160, 1976 Triumph T140, BMW's too many to list
post #86 of 106 (permalink) Old Aug 19th, 2019, 2:14 pm

Garage
Quote:
As I said, I "gave in". It's not as much a problem with the actual cost, it's the principle of paying $3 bucks for a $0.05 cent item.

Again, as I said, I'm over it.

Or more accurately put ... I've gotten over myself.

Hey I used to buy a Coke for .15 cents but good luck doing that now lol

post #87 of 106 (permalink) Old Aug 20th, 2019, 3:23 am

It's not about being cheap or even about the cost of things, it's about what things are worth, and to some of us a 5c washer will only ever be worth 5c.

People that pays $100 for a $10 T (that only cost $1 too make) and $1000 for a $100 phone (that only cost $10 to make) will never get this.
StraDuc, hawkgt and Rex Coil 7 like this.

Old Yellow SuperSport
post #88 of 106 (permalink) Old Aug 20th, 2019, 3:39 am Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZADSS View Post
It's not about being cheap or even about the cost of things, it's about what things are worth, and to some of us a 5c washer will only ever be worth 5c.

People that pays $100 for a $10 T (that only cost $1 too make) and $1000 for a $100 phone (that only cost $10 to make) will never get this.
Ah ... a voice of reason. I agree! Thanks.

post #89 of 106 (permalink) Old Aug 20th, 2019, 7:39 am

Garage
Tar baby

I will also throw out as a business I see other businesses struggle to make a buck some you can see throw up their hands and say they want to get compensated to stock items. MOST Ducati dealerships (not just Ducati) do not stock 1 single item they do not expect to use themselves, This is not new. Back at BCM (old dealership) we stocked a huge amount of parts and other Ducati dealers would often buy from us when Ducati would either not have a part or simply take too long. This is the norm not the exception.

Just like you the owner does not plan on buying a engine rebuild kit to put on the shelf neither does the dealer, always been this way in the majority of shops. Some dealers I know of charge an additional 10% over MSRP every day, others round up everything under $1.00 to a $1.00 to make it worth their stocking the item. I don't necessarily agree with it but I do understand that all those .05 items add up to real money.

At this point I have no interest in selling a .50 item and shipping it because that .50 cent item sale would cost more to sell than it ever will repay. Remember the shop is charging a inflated shipping cost to try and cover the employee time to look up a part,get the part,package and label the part and then deliver and pay for shipping. best case scenario is the cheapest employee puts the requested part number in the cheapest packaging and ships visa the cheapest method (cannot ship in plain envelope due to damage). 15 minutes @10.00 per hour labor , packaging 1.00, actual shipping $2.00 . remember the .50 cent item is not pure profit either probably .30 cents so the shop sells a item and makes .20 cents and it costs about $5.50 so sell it .

This why I mentioned stopping in somewhere personally to buy one. I get that there is no Ducati dealer but any other (bmw,honda,napa,fastenal etc) . I see shipping and handling being the deal breaker on most of this as the cost of shipping would make a 1.00 gasket way more to buy than its true cost. Or simply buy enough to cover costs in the long run.
Iwannaduc, StraDuc and Coconut like this.
post #90 of 106 (permalink) Old Aug 20th, 2019, 10:23 am Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by ducvet View Post
Tar baby

I will also throw out as a business I see other businesses struggle to make a buck some you can see throw up their hands and say they want to get compensated to stock items. MOST Ducati dealerships (not just Ducati) do not stock 1 single item they do not expect to use themselves, This is not new..
I know. I totally get that. As a reminder (once again) I've owned two businesses (25 years total) and was the general manager/application consultant/equipment repair and service person of my family's welding equipment supply business ($350k per month gross sales in the 1980s) for seven years prior to that (woops ... check that ... five years). That's why I was looking for 10 packs or 20 packs. I was pretty clear about that.

Quote:
I cannot seem to locate stock aluminum plug washers for any less than about $2.50 each, which is absolutely ridiculous. I've asked around here about the stock aluminum washer dimensions but got no responses. The dimensions are needed to be able to source aluminum washers. For instance, if the 22mm aluminum washers that fit various Honda cars will fit the Ducati 900CR, those may be had for $8.00 for 25 pieces ($0.32 cents each) ... shipped.
So I located a possible alternative, the CNC machined billet plug with Viton washers (o-rings) because I could get the Viton seals in small bulk and pay less for them. Which is why I fielded this whole topic in the first place ... asking if anyone knew about successes/failures with that type of setup. The billet plug/Viton washer thing appealed to me since I would know what I was getting, I had a reliable source (with something to lose if they were trying to pawn off ~crap~ as genuine items), with a great reputation.

Better to pay $5.00 for a ten pack than $4.50 for a single one. I thought I was clear about that as well. Perhaps not. It is what it is at this point. Sorry for all of the confusion. I regret posting the question now.

Movin' on!

Last edited by Rex Coil 7; Aug 20th, 2019 at 10:35 am. Reason: correcting details
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in