1996 900 SS/CR - PROJECT THREAD PHOTO JOURNAL - Page 3 - Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #21 of 106 (permalink) Old Jun 19th, 2019, 8:05 am
Prolific Poster Award

I really liked the Corbin seat, too, but it put my knees too high in relation to my hips and was uncomfortable to ride for longer period. A shame because I like being able to touch the ground.

'96 Ducati SS900CR, '07 S4RS, '06 Busa, '77 Bonny,
'00 Superglide, '85 Sportster, '78 SR500
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #22 of 106 (permalink) Old Jun 19th, 2019, 10:21 am Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by duc96cr View Post
I really liked the Corbin seat, too, but it put my knees too high in relation to my hips and was uncomfortable to ride for longer period. A shame because I like being able to touch the ground.
I get it. I am a towering 5 foot 7 inches. When I sit on the bike my heels are about 1 (maybe 2) inches from the ground, but the balls of my feet are fairly well planted. The Corbin Gunfighter looks to be the trick, however as was pointed out by Member *ducvet the Gunfighter isn't very well suited for "doin' the monkey" in switchbacks (aka hanging off the side of the bike). The stock type seat is rounded off allowing for gymnastics. I'll allow myself to put some time on the stock seat before I throw any money at something different. $500 bucks (cost of a new Gunfighter) can go a long way towards perhaps more necessary items other than a fancy seat.

Baby steps. I mean, I've never even ridden one of these things yet!

One thing that I'm a bit concerned with is the riding position. I have a nerve injury on the right side of my neck (inoperable, and permanent) ... so I'm a wee bit pensive about the riding position. I've been looking into different handlebar options in the event the low clip-ons create a problem. It may end up that some sort of 7/8" above-the-triple-clamps configuration will be required. Which would create a domino effect of a number of consequential issues, longer hydraulic lines and throttle cables, longer control wiring, handlebar cutouts in the fairing and so on. That said I've been looking into alternatives in that arena to get ahead of the issue in the event I need to go with higher handlebars.

Again, one step at a time. Hopefully I won't need to spends the munnies on a new seat and a different handlebar configuration. I'd prefer to leave the bike as designed if'n I can get away with it!

Admittedly I have been aggressively looking into removing some weight without getting stupid about it by going with ~titanium everything~. Not that Ti parts are "stupid" ... I just feel that for a street bike with the limits these air cooled 900's have a lot of moolah spent on titanium zip ties (et al) isn't really needed. At least from my point of view. Some Ti parts may be used (rotor bolts/caliper bolts) on this bike in an effort to keep things from rusting and looking shitty as well as complimenting the use of lighter front brake rotors and so on. But again, that's "down the road" stuff.

Right now my focus is sourcing new fuel system hoses, battery hold-down rubber straps, new braided stainless hydraulic lines, and uprating the heavy current wiring.

Oh yea ... and getting learned-up on replacing the timing belts. It's intimidating, but that's because I've not studied up on it at all just yet. A few hours of research will probably reduce anxiety I have about doing that procedure. From what I've read so far it looks as though "Exact Fit" belts are what to buy. Motowheels has a fair price on those ($37.50 or so each with the military vet discount).

Being a combat related "complex PTSD" sufferer, I am very much looking forward to what is described by the following:

''The man hunched over his motorcycle can focus only on the present instant of his flight; he is caught in a fragment of time cut off from both the past and the future; he is wrenched from the continuity of time . . . in other words, he is in a state of ecstasy; in that state he is unaware of his age, his wife, his children, his worries, and so he has no fear, because the source of fear is in the future, and a person freed of the future has nothing to fear.''
-Milan Kundera

That's the stuffs!!!

1996 900CR.
Never quit, die falling forward.
post #23 of 106 (permalink) Old Jun 19th, 2019, 10:43 am

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rex Coil 7 View Post

Being a combat related "complex PTSD" sufferer, I am very much looking forward to what is described by the following:

''The man hunched over his motorcycle can focus only on the present instant of his flight; he is caught in a fragment of time cut off from both the past and the future; he is wrenched from the continuity of time . . . in other words, he is in a state of ecstasy; in that state he is unaware of his age, his wife, his children, his worries, and so he has no fear, because the source of fear is in the future, and a person freed of the future has nothing to fear.''
-Milan Kundera

That's the stuffs!!!

That is a good quote and it's the way I ride as well. Nothing else matters on the bike but the bike and the ride. Also being 5' 7" with short legs myself I've never really been able to touch the ground on my bikes. You will get good at low speed maneuvering and low speed balance to avoid putting your feet down. You have to be careful of off camber stops too, I track stand my Multistrada at lights when I can't reach the ground.

82 CM200T(Basket case), 04 DRZ 400SM (sold, best bike ever), 01 VFR800 (went kablooey), 09 Concours 14 (RIP - nobody needs coffee that badly), 15 Multistrada, 95 900SS

post #24 of 106 (permalink) Old Jun 19th, 2019, 11:17 am Thread Starter

I got fairly good at low speed/parking lot stuff on a pair of Harleys I had (back before fire was discovered ... 1980s). The Sportster (black bike below) wasn't too awful as it "only" weighed about 550 pounds. It took a little bit to become comfortable on the FXRS (the not-black bike below) since it came in at 650 pounds with a wider seat with a 64 inch wheelbase.

Funny ... Harley calls the FXRS a "sport model". Geez! I really (really!) disliked that bike. I should never have traded in the Sportster for it. Live and (hopefully) learn, right?

I really miss that black one. It was one of those bikes you could just ride the holy piss out of and always be within the bike's limits. 4 speed transmission meant sticking it in 3rd gear around town and just leaving it there. I'm hoping this 900SS/CR will be as much fun as that black Sportster was. Something tells me it will, and then some by a factor of 10 plus.

.... "sport model" .... what the hell, over? ....

Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Harley XLX 61 1000cc - 6.jpeg
Views:	10
Size:	348.1 KB
ID:	946373   Click image for larger version

Name:	1985 Harley FXRS - 1.jpg
Views:	10
Size:	669.2 KB
ID:	946375  

1996 900CR.
post #25 of 106 (permalink) Old Jun 19th, 2019, 2:11 pm

The problem with corbin is they weigh to much so I bought a stock seat off ebay for $50 and reworked the foam...now I sit on the bike with my butt not with my thighs like the stock seat. Comfort level is greatly improved and for 300+ miles days are no problem and " Doing The Monkey" is easy.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	duc.JPG
Views:	35
Size:	503.3 KB
ID:	946399  
Erics75218 likes this.

"Hold It Open Until You See GOD Then Brake"

1977 YAMAHA RD400
1979 YAMAHA Daytona Special (sold)
1985 YAMAHA RZ350
1995 DUCATI 900 Hot Rodded CR
2002 APRILIA RSVR
post #26 of 106 (permalink) Old Jun 19th, 2019, 2:24 pm Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by califblue View Post
The problem with corbin is they weigh to much so I bought a stock seat off ebay for $50 and reworked the foam...now I sit on the bike with my butt not with my thighs like the stock seat. Comfort level is greatly improved and for 300+ miles days are no problem and " Doing The Monkey" is easy.
Nicely done. Your approach makes sense to me. In fact, you've reminded me that here in Yuma there is a Mexican fella that works at an upholstery shop that has made custom motorcycle seats for me in the past. He does excellent work. (Geez, it's been a few years ... I hope he's still alive and working on bike seats!).

Thanks for the input!!!!

1996 900CR.
post #27 of 106 (permalink) Old Jun 19th, 2019, 4:33 pm

Garage
I personally ride on Corbin saddles -yes they weigh a little more but all day comfort is more important for me on a street bike --I have well over 1 million miles on BMW's & Corbin saddles--that said I have not put one on my 91 900ss--(I do have one on my 91 907ie) -I dont plan at this time to use the 900ss for long distance touring -but if I did -it would have a Corbin saddle on it--But for touring the BMW is a far better and more comfortable bike--For me by the way serious touring is over 1000 miles a day, I did the Iron Butt Rally 3 times many years ago-early 90's--But now I'm old and dont plan to do that again lol

1991 Ducati 900ss-Euro, 1991 Ducati 907ie. 1978 Yamaha SR500, 1979 Yamaha RD400 Daytona Special, 1973 Truimph X-75, 1975 Triumph T-160, 1976 Triumph T140, BMW's too many to list
post #28 of 106 (permalink) Old Jun 19th, 2019, 5:39 pm Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by rennsportmotorrad View Post
I personally ride on Corbin saddles -yes they weigh a little more but all day comfort is more important for me on a street bike --I have well over 1 million miles on BMW's & Corbin saddles--that said I have not put one on my 91 900ss--(I do have one on my 91 907ie) -I dont plan at this time to use the 900ss for long distance touring -but if I did -it would have a Corbin saddle on it--But for touring the BMW is a far better and more comfortable bike--For me by the way serious touring is over 1000 miles a day, I did the Iron Butt Rally 3 times many years ago-early 90's--But now I'm old and dont plan to do that again lol
Holy Radioactive Coyotes, Batman! A thousand miles per day? Way out of my league, that's for certain!

I'm thinking that having two seats might be a good idea. One for playing around or in-town riding to the VA clinic, another for long, purpose driven trips. But that will have to wait. While I am not saying the Corbin isn't worth the $500 bucks they get for it, I need to focus on getting this bike roadworthy first and foremost. $500 bucks goes a long way towards that end.

Like many things, I will probably change my mind about some of the various ideas I have percolating up there in my brain noggin at present. What seems ~good~ now will probably seem like nonsense after I put a few hundred miles on the bike. But that's totally ok. I'm learning as I dig into some of these ideas ... and that's a good thing!

Thanks for your input, Member *rennsportmotorrad .... good stuff!

1996 900CR.
post #29 of 106 (permalink) Old Jun 19th, 2019, 5:49 pm

Here is a better photo of the seat modification. I have spent to much money lightning my CR to add weight she sits at 385 lbs. WET

rennsportmotorrad I agree about the tourning distance too. but I am talking about 300+ miles of sport riding with avg speed will in the upper 70 mph range.
I have done the Ironbutt once on 1150 GS in the mid 90's in preparation for an Arctic Circle trip...no big deal on the 1000 miles .
Now that Arctic/ Prudhoe Bay was a trip 6 weeks 11,800 miles and only stayed in a hotel once..three of us GS and 26 year old on KLR650!

I reagulary ride 100 + miles round trip just to breakfast on the weekends
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	437059999.jpg
Views:	22
Size:	130.1 KB
ID:	946413  

"Hold It Open Until You See GOD Then Brake"

1977 YAMAHA RD400
1979 YAMAHA Daytona Special (sold)
1985 YAMAHA RZ350
1995 DUCATI 900 Hot Rodded CR
2002 APRILIA RSVR
post #30 of 106 (permalink) Old Jun 19th, 2019, 10:01 pm

Garage
I've had a couple 900's, including a '95 900SS/CR. A few comments...

Those "mufflers" are too small to be very effective. I love how those bikes sound with more era correct Termi or FbF style mufflers - larger diameter and longer, stuffed with fiberglass mat. The 'glass takes out the high frequencies and gives them a nice rumble. The pipes shown will just be f'ing loud. I'm not a fan of obnoxiously loud bikes. I know all the cool kids are putting miniature SC Project mufflers on their bikes these days but they sound like shit. Loud does not equal good. FWIW I developed OEM auto exhausts for years so am admittedly a bit biased on this. My 900ss/sp was the best sounding bike I've ever owned, including a couple Ducati Superbikes.

Open intake - if you mentioned anything about this, I missed it. But, a popular mod was to remove/cut the airbox lid for better breathing. I reversed this mod on a couple bikes because it was also way too loud. Tucked in with chin on tank, and at around 4000rpm I thought my helmet was going to explode from the noise. Yuck. Some people like the mod, I hate it entirely because of the noise. Literally painful to me but some people like it.

Front end - I didn't notice any mention of this either but if you're throwing money around, put decent forks on it. The front ends on those bikes are harsh as hell. The frames are also known to crack around the headstock. I'm not at all convinced the two aren't related. Again people will disagree, but the forks on a '96 CR suck. Save the money on a Corbin seat and upgrade the suspension instead. I had a Corbin for my 907 and a Sargent on one of my 900s. Wasn't too impressed with either one. Oh yeah, I've got a Corbin for my 851 also but it doesn't fit... not sure why, it's used so who knows. Also had a Sargent on my Hypermotard, didn't fit for shit without mods. Anyway, aftermarket seats are hit and miss with people. I'd upgrade the suspension before the seat.

Larger battery cables are a great idea. Dial in the carbs, upgrade the cables, that thing will start instantly when you press the button. Seriously, people commented on how fast mine started. No whirwhirBoom... press the button and it's running. I ran AGV batteries too which probably didn't hurt. Be careful disconnecting the lead on the starter. If you spin the post you'll have to rebuild the starter motor... which may not be a bad idea anyway.

If you're into losing weight, a lithium battery will likely attract your attention. Fair enough, I'm running one on my 851. However... if you take the plunge, add a mosfet regulator and a voltage meter too. Trust me, just do it. And buy a battery that has built in battery management, like an EarthX. Don't buy the battery now thikning you'll add the rest later. My 851 now has a new ECU, a new lithium battery, a few other electronic bits, and a few scars compliments of a regulator dying and a battery melting down.

The lower profile front tire that the CRs used sucks IMHO. I put the same tire as an SP on my CR. It will hit the stock fender, but it's an easy fix that doesn't cost a dime. Install the front wheel, put something between the fender and tire where it rubs to hold them apart. Watch where the fender flexes when you do this. Shove the rag or whatever in place, then blow on the area of the fender that flexed with a hairdrier set on "high". It should get too hot to touch but not melting. Do that on each side where it flexed then let it cool. When you pull the rag the fender will hold it's new shape and not rub. I think you said something about how the low profile tire looks but get over that, make the bike work well. It'll still look cool.

Clutch slave cylinder... If yours doesn't leak now it will eventually. Aftermarket units are typically a larger diameter for an easier pull. I never thought that was needed until I put one on my 851. Look into it.

Clutch covers - open covers are popular but remember it's what protects the clutch if the bike falls over. I prefer beefier covers with holes over the minimal covers that show off the clutch itself.

The stock mirrors droop. Bar end mirrors aren't a bad idea though I never used them on those.

The gearing has likely already been changed from stock. If not, 15/41 is popular. One thing that often gets overlooked on those bikes is the plate the holds the countershaft sprocket in place. They wear out. If the teeth on it aren't the same thickness as the rest of the plate, replace it. On the last 900 I bought, that plate was worn at least half way through.

That's about it from what I remember... The SS's are fun bikes but usually take some TLC to make up for past owner's sins. Enjoy!
RockAZ, J.B. and Erics75218 like this.

-Craig
1991 851 Strada

Last edited by DesmoDog; Jun 19th, 2019 at 10:07 pm.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode