1996 900 SS/CR - PROJECT THREAD PHOTO JOURNAL - Page 2 - Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #11 of 58 (permalink) Old Jun 11th, 2019, 12:48 pm Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by ifly65 View Post
Just a suggestion. If you haven't sent your carbs off yet you might want to pick up a Haynes manual and a set of rebuild kits off of ebay, mine were $44.00 for both. Its not hard to do a carb rebuild...really. Just watch some YT videos and grind some small flat heads to the exact sizes, if needed to remove parts.
Thank you for the information and suggestion! I'll look into that.

Never Quit, Die Falling Forward
1996 900 CR. ... LOW ZOOT
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #12 of 58 (permalink) Old Jun 11th, 2019, 12:50 pm Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by ifly65 View Post
Im sort of hoping this means you have not driven a Ducati yet! You will love it when you are done.
Nope ... never ridden one yet. But I know I'm in for a treat!

post #13 of 58 (permalink) Old Jun 11th, 2019, 1:42 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rex Coil 7 View Post
Thank you for the information and suggestion! I'll look into that.

Doing a carb rebuild is really easy. If you don't unrack them you don't have to re-sync it. If you do need to break them (leaky fuel rail on mine) you can buy a sync tool for $50 on amazon or fleabay. You can also make one.

Pre-clean:

Post clean on the right, pre on the left:
Rex Coil 7 likes this.

82 CM200T(Basket case), 04 DRZ 400SM (sold, best bike ever), 01 VFR800 (went kablooey), 09 Concours 14 (RIP - nobody needs coffee that badly), 15 Multistrada, 95 900SS

post #14 of 58 (permalink) Old Jun 13th, 2019, 1:14 am Thread Starter

... dang me .... I want to get to work on this bike! But it's been so frelling HOT.

It was 122 degrees today ... it's 11:14pm and it's still 97 degrees.

C'mon Muthuh Nature .... this hot spell is putting a kink in my moto project!

Arg!

post #15 of 58 (permalink) Old Jun 13th, 2019, 9:08 am Thread Starter

Corbin Gunfighter seat for the 900SS/CR.

Sweet ..... $500 bucks, still sweet.

Calls out to the modified stock seats on the early 1980s AMA Superbikes. Often times the rear part of the seat behind the rider's "scoop" was actually a metal box that had seat upholstery covering it to make the lightweight aluminum box behind the rider appear as though it were part of the seat. The rules back then dictated that the tail light had to be operational. So instead of taxing the alternator to comply with that task they'd run the tail light from a 9 volt battery that was housed in the box behind the rider's rump. Clever.

Yea .... Corbin Gunfighter .... sweet.

Rear-most portion of the seat in black instead of red .... sweeter!

Now just mount a pair of AMA approved rhombus shaped white number plates on each side of the seat ... sweeter yet! Check #21 and #31.

Oh hells yea. Big huge thumbs up!

Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Corbin Gunfighter Seat for 900SS and 900CR - 1.jpg
Views:	20
Size:	173.6 KB
ID:	945791   Click image for larger version

Name:	HondaSuperbike1982_700.jpg
Views:	16
Size:	234.6 KB
ID:	945795   Click image for larger version

Name:	kawasaki21eddielawson1stplace.jpg
Size:	88.4 KB
ID:	945797   Click image for larger version

Name:	Kwacker KZ1000 - 003.jpg
Views:	15
Size:	179.2 KB
ID:	945799   Click image for larger version

Name:	racecrafterskawasaki31harryklinzmannibelieve.jpg
Size:	98.2 KB
ID:	945801  

Name:	Yosh - 002.jpg
Size:	30.8 KB
ID:	945803  

post #16 of 58 (permalink) Old Jun 13th, 2019, 11:57 am

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rex Coil 7 View Post
Corbin Gunfighter seat for the 900SS/CR.

Sweet ..... $500 bucks, still sweet.

Calls out to the modified stock seats on the early 1980s AMA Superbikes. Often times the rear part of the seat behind the rider's "scoop" was actually a metal box that had seat upholstery covering it to make the lightweight aluminum box behind the rider appear as though it were part of the seat. The rules back then dictated that the tail light had to be operational. So instead of taxing the alternator to comply with that task they'd run the tail light from a 9 volt battery that was housed in the box behind the rider's rump. Clever.

Yea .... Corbin Gunfighter .... sweet.

Rear-most portion of the seat in black instead of red .... sweeter!

Now just mount a pair of AMA approved rhombus shaped white number plates on each side of the seat ... sweeter yet! Check #21 and #31.

Oh hells yea. Big huge thumbs up!

Here is the Corbin you are talking about. Its pretty soft too. I am having the Superlight solo seat with the number badge and small decals made soon.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	20190316_134320.jpg
Views:	30
Size:	3.11 MB
ID:	945807   Click image for larger version

Name:	20190316_134450.jpg
Views:	23
Size:	2.70 MB
ID:	945809  

Ducati 1993 750ss/cr
The past: Honda 1000RR Fireblade F2 Yamaha R6 xj700 xs400 Suzuki GSXR600 Kaw 750 550
post #17 of 58 (permalink) Old Jun 13th, 2019, 7:03 pm

Garage
FYI I have a customer who has a Karbacher seat/carbon solo tail he is going to be selling soon. I think he plans on posting in the classifieds soon so keep an eye out. It came off his early carby SS and I was tempted to buy the bike to get the seat unit!. Rare cool vintage part and it looks good in red with a carbon stripe IIRC.

Keep in mind most aftermarket seats are dished so they are often a improvement for setting in the center of the seat and not moving, poor if you try and get your but off the seat. For a tourer you might love them but if the bikes role is a weekend back road weapon or trackday bike I would rather stay oem.
ifly65 and Rex Coil 7 like this.
post #18 of 58 (permalink) Old Jun 13th, 2019, 8:40 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by ducvet View Post
FYI I have a customer who has a Karbacher seat/carbon solo tail he is going to be selling soon. I think he plans on posting in the classifieds soon so keep an eye out. It came off his early carby SS and I was tempted to buy the bike to get the seat unit!. Rare cool vintage part and it looks good in red with a carbon stripe IIRC.

Keep in mind most aftermarket seats are dished so they are often a improvement for setting in the center of the seat and not moving, poor if you try and get your but off the seat. For a tourer you might love them but if the bikes role is a weekend back road weapon or trackday bike I would rather stay oem.

Thanks Ducvet, Ill keep and eye out. He may have a quick sale here. I am getting ready to purchase mine now but haven't as of today. I would like to see an example of it if you still have a pic.

Ducati 1993 750ss/cr
The past: Honda 1000RR Fireblade F2 Yamaha R6 xj700 xs400 Suzuki GSXR600 Kaw 750 550
post #19 of 58 (permalink) Old Jun 13th, 2019, 9:20 pm Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by ducvet View Post
...Keep in mind most aftermarket seats are dished so they are often a improvement for setting in the center of the seat and not moving, poor if you try and get your but off the seat. For a tourer you might love them but if the bikes role is a weekend back road weapon or trackday bike I would rather stay oem.
Excellent point.

Might be wise to have both on hand. One for trips, one for hot rodding around. As easy as it is to remove/install the seat assembly on these bikes, it makes a lot of sense to have both types available if trips and track days are both on one's schedule.

post #20 of 58 (permalink) Old Jun 18th, 2019, 9:31 pm Thread Starter

Finally Pulled The Carbs.

OK, I waited until the weather was half-assed livable to remove the carbs (it was "only" 110f today). I had to watch a few videos since the service manual is vague as hell about removing them. I will say that there are some real idiots out there making videos of "how to" issues on these air cooled Ducatis.

"Have Berrymans, will fuddup my carbs in the driveway".

In any case, once I worked out the order of disassembly things went ok. I feel I need to mention that THEM CARBS STANK! They're not the worst I've seen, I used to own/operate an authorized factory warranty and repair center for several brands of emergency power/portable/RV generators. At least fifty times per year we'd have someone come in with an RV that had a generator that was not running. Nearly to the one it was due to the owners not running their gens at least once per month under load for about an hour ... resulting in gunked carb trouble. Some of them were pretty awful.

These carbs are about up there with the top 20% of "the worst" I've seen. And did I mention that ....

THEY FLIPPIN STANK-ASS!??

*** Those rubber hold-down straps that secure the battery are also junk. So those need to be replaced as well.

*** The little machined swingarm plates came in as well. I'll get to installing them along the way here.

*** While the bike is opened up I'm going to replace as many of the hoses as I can (just cuz). And I may as well rewire the 12v systems while I'm at it. After I removed the BATT NEG first, when I went to remove the positive from the batt it became clear that terminal had overheated a few times. Under-gauged wiring is what I blame that on.

*** So, letting the carbs "dry out" a little bit (one day should do the trick), then they're off to my chosen carb refurbish service person. I reckon about two weeks, perhaps three, of total time turnaround.

*** Stored the seat in the house, away from our cats. Cats love to claw into motorcycle seats. They just love it.

*** The fuel tank is very full with fresh gas to help dilute/dissolve any remaining lacquer that may have formed in the tank while the previous owner stored the bike in his garage between November 2018 to the 1st week in June when I bought the bike. We'll drain that gas and refill it before reinstalling it on the bike. But for now, it's full of two week old fuel.

*** New fuel lines and clamps wouldn't be a bad idea, especially on a 23 year old motorcycle.

*** The intake "boots" that connect the carbs to the intake manifolds look to be in serviceable condition, so I'll probably not replace those.

~FIN~
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	1996 900SS-CR - carbs before rebuilding - 1.jpg
Views:	14
Size:	302.1 KB
ID:	946287   Click image for larger version

Name:	1996 900SS-CR - carbs before rebuilding - 2.jpg
Size:	335.1 KB
ID:	946289   Click image for larger version

Name:	1996 900SS-CR - carbs pulled - 1.jpg
Views:	17
Size:	280.0 KB
ID:	946291   Click image for larger version

Name:	Battery Straps are shot - 1.jpg
Size:	322.7 KB
ID:	946293   Click image for larger version

Name:	Swingarm Plates - 1.jpg
Size:	120.4 KB
ID:	946295  

ifly65 likes this.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode