1098 Race ECU question - Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 6 (permalink) Old Jun 4th, 2019, 2:21 pm Thread Starter

1098 Race ECU question

So the previous owner put a "race ECU" on the bike, to go with the Termis.
Is this a modified stock ECU, or a completely new box all together? (so basically i dunno what a stock one should look like).
I'm trying to return the bike to stock.

OEM ECUs on Ebay seem to vary wildly in price. what is a fair price to pay for one?
are there more than 1 little black boxes that we could be talking about here? as i've seen a couple clearly different types on Ebay that all claim to be for a 1098. is a "injection control unit" different from an ECU? (i'm sure a stupid question... i'm good at those)

2007 1098, nemesis TC, full Termi and race ECU, full Ohlins, and Marchesini wheels

Last edited by SpeedyCorky; Jun 4th, 2019 at 2:32 pm.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 (permalink) Old Jun 4th, 2019, 2:28 pm

Just download a stock map in your ecu. 25$ cable and free software is all you need. A stock or termi ecu are basically the same thing with a different map.

Macs are like Harleys... For wannabe different people, who get all the same sh!t
post #3 of 6 (permalink) Old Jun 4th, 2019, 3:23 pm

I used a 1098 ECU flashed for the Termi 2 into 1 exhaust on my Sport Classic
as long as the Hardware Version is the same the Map and the stickers are
the only difference.

2008 Hypermotard 1100S, 2004 Green Ducati.

post #4 of 6 (permalink) Old Jun 4th, 2019, 4:06 pm

When you say race ECU, did he take it to a shop and have it dyno tuned? If so I'd hang onto that map, otherwise it's exactly what everyone else has said. Grab a stock map & go.

Typically minor mods like just exhaust/slip-ons don't usually need to be remapped. If you did more radical changes (smog deletes, airbox enlarging/removal, cams, big bore, etc.) you'd want to tune it after. Most bikes will benefit from being Dyno'd by a pro, but the gains are a lot smaller with basic mods.

82 CM200T(Basket case), 04 DRZ 400SM (sold, best bike ever), 01 VFR800 (went kablooey), 09 Concours 14 (RIP - nobody needs coffee that badly), 15 Multistrada, 95 900SS
post #5 of 6 (permalink) Old Jun 4th, 2019, 11:24 pm
Excel Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpeedyCorky View Post
So the previous owner put a "race ECU" on the bike, to go with the Termis.
Is this a modified stock ECU, or a completely new box all together? (so basically i dunno what a stock one should look like).
I'm trying to return the bike to stock.

OEM ECUs on Ebay seem to vary wildly in price. what is a fair price to pay for one?
are there more than 1 little black boxes that we could be talking about here? as i've seen a couple clearly different types on Ebay that all claim to be for a 1098. is a "injection control unit" different from an ECU? (i'm sure a stupid question... i'm good at those)
I agree with posts 2 and 3 and part of post 4.

ECU is electronic control unit.
Injection control unit will be simply someone's different terminology.
Just like a notebook or a laptop - different terms for the same thing.

If it has Termis fitted, then I would stick with the "race ECU".
As Ricko wrote, but rewording, the lump and guts of electronics is the same, it just has different map values written/flashed/programmed in it.

Same container, different contents.

If you want "stock", then peel off the sticker and Flash a stock map.

Often if you peel off the DP or Race sticker you will find that the (original) label underneath shows a completely different model.

Richard Collins - 2001 900SSie I have a 2 strike policy - 2 no responses from a poster = no more responses from me to any post by them. I have a good memory!
post #6 of 6 (permalink) Old Jun 5th, 2019, 12:17 pm Thread Starter

OK so its just a reflashed OEM ECU; easy enough to go back to stock then

i'm used to the jap bikes where flashing the OEM ECU isnt *generally* done, and usually people plug in a power commander or Bazzaz type product to get the desired mapping.

so what if i swap my flashed ECU with someones non-flashed ECU..? will the bike still run? ie, will they computer in the key fuck me or something like that?

sooooooooooo anyone got a OEM set of 1098 mufflers for sale?
i already got the headers and mid pipe, everything but the damn mufflers basically.

2007 1098, nemesis TC, full Termi and race ECU, full Ohlins, and Marchesini wheels

Last edited by SpeedyCorky; Jun 5th, 2019 at 2:04 pm.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode