T-minus 5 hours (buying a '96 900CR today) - Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 57 (permalink) Old Jun 4th, 2019, 4:17 am Thread Starter

T-minus 5 hours (buying a '96 900CR today)

It's after 2am and I can't sleep. I'm leaving at 7am to go look at and hopefully come home with a pretty cherry 1996 900 CR. Less than 18k miles, garaged, maintenance documentation. 5 hour round trip from where I live to where the bike is.

The only ~bummer~ I can see from the pictures of it is that it has the dreaded chrome-colored head studs. Semi-bummer is the non-Showa forks. Both bummers are not the end of the world, however.

Needs the usuals ... new belts, carb rebuild, throttle cables, twist throttle is wonky (I'll probably go FCR41 kit though which typically include new Motion Pro cables/twist throttle and K&N filter). Being 23 years old I'll put stainless braided hydraulic lines all 'round.

Recent work done by a pro mechanic:
** New tapered bearings in the steering head.
** New brake pads front and rear.
** New starter.
** New battery.
** Oil and filter changed.
** New chain.

Problems claimed:
** Carbs are gunked, owner stored the bike in garage unridden for over 1.5 years.
** Wonky twist throttle.
** The new starter remains engaged after the engine fires (could be just the start switch, or the starter relay .. both easy fixes).
** Belts need replacing.

Good Stuffs:
** Zero rust inside of steel fuel tank (huge plus!).
** Paint is friggin excellent.
** Plastics are friggin excellent.
** Never been down or even dropped in the garage.
** Owned by a pedantic rider in his 40s ... no wheelie king/wannabe GP squid.
** Windshield is flawless.
** What look to me like Termignoni mufflers (stock headers).
** Seat is excellent, no rips, no tears.
** Zero UV/Sun damage.
** New Pirelli rubber front and rear ... by the looks of them they appear to have less than 100 miles on them (less than two years old as well).

I'll post pics and reveal the amount I paid for it after I get it back home tomorrow afternoon.

My last motorcycle was in 1990, this Ducati will be my 17th bike. I am SO FLIPPIN' HURTIN' AND READY TO GET BACK ON TWO WHEELS!!!!!!!!

L8R SK8RS !!

1996 900CR.
Never quit, die falling forward.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 57 (permalink) Old Jun 4th, 2019, 6:04 am

keep looking ,,lot of time and money to make a good street bike out of that thing
post #3 of 57 (permalink) Old Jun 4th, 2019, 8:33 am Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by wmfleet2 View Post
keep looking ,,lot of time and money to make a good street bike out of that thing
... it takes a lot of time and money to make a "good streetbike" out of just about any of the '90s aircooled ~SS~ models. One just has to pick their battles .. what do you want to have to deal with? Rust? Years of abuse? Squid previous owners? Exposure to the weather? Mechanical issues? Age?

Liftoff in T-Minus 27 minutes.

1996 900CR.
Never quit, die falling forward.

post #4 of 57 (permalink) Old Jun 4th, 2019, 8:50 am
Prolific Poster Award

Youíll love it once youíve got it ship shape. Wmfleet2 has probably not owned one before. They are great bikes, one of my favorites, and Iíve owned a lot of bikes. IMO well worth putting the time and money into it .
ifly65 likes this.

'96 Ducati SS900CR, '07 S4RS, '06 Busa, '77 Bonny,
'00 Superglide, '85 Sportster, '78 SR500
post #5 of 57 (permalink) Old Jun 4th, 2019, 9:37 am

Garage
Go in with low expectations and bucket loads of hope and you will be fine. I would not worry about any problem with a carby SS just know that it may need either $$ or time to bring back to 110% but when done you will have something special.

Enjoy and congrats!
Cornhole98 and ifly65 like this.
post #6 of 57 (permalink) Old Jun 4th, 2019, 11:37 am

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rex Coil 7 View Post
... it takes a lot of time and money to make a "good streetbike" out of just about any of the '90s aircooled ~SS~ models. One just has to pick their battles .. what do you want to have to deal with? Rust? Years of abuse? Squid previous owners? Exposure to the weather? Mechanical issues? Age?

Liftoff in T-Minus 27 minutes.

Damn Im almost as excited as you are....go check the 'what did you do with your bike today'...I just did the nearly the same thing this Feb!

Yes the goods out-weigh the bads on this one. You will be fine, especially with the help on this forum. My big issue was rust in the tank and carbs. Good to hear your tank looks fine.

I now have a beautiful, near mint example of a vintage Duc.

I cant wait to see pics...hopefully tonight when I get home from work.

Ducati 1993 750ss/cr
The past: Honda 1000RR Fireblade F2 Yamaha R6 xj700 xs400 Suzuki GSXR600 Kaw 750 550
post #7 of 57 (permalink) Old Jun 4th, 2019, 11:41 am

Have fun with it. I still miss my carby SS and will likely own another one someday. As for the Marzocci forks, they can give a nice ride with good front-end feel if set up properly. There's only preload adjustment, so you need to mess around with springs, oil viscosity and oil height to get them to do what you want. The Showa ones, people seem to drool over them, but most SS/SP years that they went into there was a design defect that linked the compression and rebound circuits which made them damn near impossible to properly adjust... you need a lot of patience because adjusting compression also affected rebound and vice versa.

'09 Multistrada 1100s
post #8 of 57 (permalink) Old Jun 4th, 2019, 1:14 pm

Check the frame for cracks. Otherwise it sounds like a great project. Looking forward to seeing you progress with it.

82 CM200T(Basket case), 04 DRZ 400SM (sold, best bike ever), 01 VFR800 (went kablooey), 09 Concours 14 (RIP - nobody needs coffee that badly), 15 Multistrada, 95 900SS
post #9 of 57 (permalink) Old Jun 4th, 2019, 4:26 pm

Garage
You can pick up a set of Showa forks for around $200. I just swapped out mine. Most people who have trouble adjusting them is due to assembly error. You must put three complete turns on the rebound adjuster before assembly on the rod. Just my .02
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	2BFAF58D-0EC0-47B3-9516-0B8620E1BE3A_1559683527518.jpeg
Views:	27
Size:	1.57 MB
ID:	944991  
post #10 of 57 (permalink) Old Jun 4th, 2019, 4:51 pm
Prolific Poster Award

I donít think the Marzocchi forks are bad at all. When I first bought my bike people on the forum talked me into believing I had to swap them out for adjustable forks. I eventually did, but before that I added quite a bit of preload to get the sag on the soft side of okay, new seals, and ATF with the level a little higher than the spec. The improvement was noticeable, though I think I should have used a lighter weight fork oil. It cost less than $30 to do that much, and would have been half that if I didnít need seals. Thatís the low buck version.

'96 Ducati SS900CR, '07 S4RS, '06 Busa, '77 Bonny,
'00 Superglide, '85 Sportster, '78 SR500
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode