2002 Ducati 750 Sport speed restricted - Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 12 (permalink) Old May 29th, 2019, 6:29 pm Thread Starter

2002 Ducati 750 Sport speed restricted

Hello folks my bike won't go past 160kmph in top Gear? Has anyone else with this bike have the same problem?

Thanks!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 12 (permalink) Old May 29th, 2019, 6:58 pm
Prolific Poster Award

NO ! ( Youíre Welcome)

'96 Ducati SS900CR, '07 S4RS, '06 Busa, '77 Bonny,
'00 Superglide, '85 Sportster, '78 SR500
post #3 of 12 (permalink) Old May 29th, 2019, 7:06 pm
Prolific Poster Award

Seriously, thatís not normal at all. Are you saying it starts and runs fine but just flattens out in top gear and wonít rev anymore at 160 kph ? First would be check fuel flow. Do you hear your pump running when you turn the key on ? If youíre getting decent fuel flow at the carbs, do a tune up. Check for a clogged air filter. Run some SeaFoam through it. Remove your air filter and make sure both carb slides open when you turn the throttle with engine running.

'96 Ducati SS900CR, '07 S4RS, '06 Busa, '77 Bonny,
'00 Superglide, '85 Sportster, '78 SR500

post #4 of 12 (permalink) Old May 29th, 2019, 10:41 pm
Excel Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by duc96cr View Post
Seriously, thatís not normal at all. Are you saying it starts and runs fine but just flattens out in top gear and wonít rev anymore at 160 kph ? First would be check fuel flow. Do you hear your pump running when you turn the key on ? If youíre getting decent fuel flow at the carbs, do a tune up. Check for a clogged air filter. Run some SeaFoam through it. Remove your air filter and make sure both carb slides open when you turn the throttle with engine running.
It is 2002 so no carbs!
It would not even start if there was no fuel pump sound.

Agree with checking the air filter.
Also fuel filter.
Could be clogged injectors, so the Seafoam would help.

Do you get a "whoosh" sound when you open the gas cap.
That could be blocked, but a common issue is when lowering the tank (after lifting) it is unfortunately easy to kink the fuel pipes.

Richard Collins - 2001 900SSie I have a 2 strike policy - 2 no responses from a poster = no more responses from me to any post by them. I have a good memory!
post #5 of 12 (permalink) Old May 30th, 2019, 1:58 am Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by duc96cr View Post
Seriously, that’s not normal at all. Are you saying it starts and runs fine but just flattens out in top gear and won’t rev anymore at 160 kph ? First would be check fuel flow. Do you hear your pump running when you turn the key on ? If you’re getting decent fuel flow at the carbs, do a tune up. Check for a clogged air filter. Run some SeaFoam through it. Remove your air filter and make sure both carb slides open when you turn the throttle with engine running.
Thanks for the reply.

This is Fuel Injected so no carbs. It basically felt like the Rev limiter but it's not a Rev limiter as I've gone past 7k RPM in the lower gears.
post #6 of 12 (permalink) Old May 30th, 2019, 2:02 am Thread Starter

Quote:

It is 2002 so no carbs!
It would not even start if there was no fuel pump sound.

Agree with checking the air filter.
Also fuel filter.
Could be clogged injectors, so the Seafoam would help.

Do you get a "whoosh" sound when you open the gas cap.
That could be blocked, but a common issue is when lowering the tank (after lifting) it is unfortunately easy to kink the fuel pipes.
The air filter looks good, will check the fuel filter. Will also pour the whole bottle of seafoam with a full tank and report back.

Could have just kinked the fuel pipes as had lifted the tank few times before.
post #7 of 12 (permalink) Old May 30th, 2019, 7:46 am

Garage
What is the gearing (sprocket sizes) on the bike? I have had bikes geared so low they would pull right into redline in top gear and in your case it would be the rev limiter.

If someone has dropped a tooth on the front and gone up on the rear this would not surprise me as my carby 750ss tops out about 110mph in top (5 speed) .
post #8 of 12 (permalink) Old May 30th, 2019, 7:55 am

Garage
Quote:
as I've gone past 7k RPM in the lower gears.
Are you saying it will not pull past 7000rpm in top gear?
If so the bike may have stock gearing and almost NO Ducati will pull redline in top gear with stock gearing, that should not feel like hitting a limiter though.

will it pull to the rev limiter in the gear below top gear? I assume you have a 5 speed gearbox. is that true?
post #9 of 12 (permalink) Old May 30th, 2019, 2:00 pm Thread Starter

I believe it's stock sprockets. It doesn't redline in 5th gear (top) but goes over 7k.

So I was on the highway yesterday and tried to replicate the issue but I actually noticed I went over 160 kph without it cutting out. I wanted to see how much further it goes but there was traffic ahead. So now I'm not sure whether it was just something in the fuel delivery or a speed limiter. I will try again today and see when does it cut off.
post #10 of 12 (permalink) Old May 30th, 2019, 2:20 pm

Garage
You didn't fill out your profile so no one knows what country you're in or where the bike was delivered. There are some countries with 100mph (162kph) limiters. If the bike can redline in lower gears but can't exceed 100mph, I would suspect that there could be an electronic limiter.

1996 900 SS/SP #C22, 1996 916 Corsa (ex-Ferracci), 1998 916 SPS #774, 1999 748R, 2001 996R (US), 2001 996R (Euro), 2002 998R #481, 2011 848 EVO, 2008 1098R #262, 2014 1199 Superleggera #213
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode