This forum is not like other - Page 2 - Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #11 of 23 (permalink) Old Jun 3rd, 2019, 10:13 pm Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpeedyCorky View Post
so good to hear these stories where a forum and its members help avoid someone from having to go to the stealership!
I was close to going to the dealership for the first time!

Ducvet talked me down off of a cliff a couple of times. RockAZ and Iwannaduc, casor and spacey I cant thank you guys enough for watching my posts and helping. All super nice guys and helpful to a first Duc owner/noob that I am.

I got a PM from Fredsmoot23...my new St. Louis Ducati pal. He put my carbs together like a surgeon. I was barely an assistant. He was very organized and methodical during the process. He actually did the rebuilds like Ive seen instructors do in tech school videos.

Im now waiting for new belts from Ducati. My upgraded 900ss carbs test ride went great. Its fast and nimble. I love the torque and the way this bike handles.

Thanks again guys!!!
redpato, flynbulldog and Punch like this.

Ducati 1993 750ss/cr
The past: Honda 1000RR Fireblade F2 Yamaha R6 xj700 xs400 Suzuki GSXR600 Kaw 750 550
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #12 of 23 (permalink) Old Jun 3rd, 2019, 11:13 pm

Good on ya man - you actually CAN work on these things yourself, but the learning experience is often not fun. To wit: Experience is something you get after you need it.

And, as always, I am happy to offer bad (but free) advice.
ifly65 and Rex Coil 7 like this.

Failure is not an option 1995 Duc 916,1994 Bim DB2,1986 Duc MHR Mille, 1974 Duc 750 Sport, 1965 Duc Monza
post #13 of 23 (permalink) Old Jun 4th, 2019, 6:08 am

Garage
I've gone to this well more than a few times over the years, there are indeed some great people here.

I'm pretty decent at twirling some wrenches and screwdrivers, but sometimes you get stuck, and the people that have been there know all the useful hacks. A 27-year-old Italian motorcycle is often a fickle mistress, but keeping her on the road is a noble cause. And to have this kind of support, well, it is, for lack of a better word, awesome.
ifly65 likes this.

Robert
Loud clutches save lives.
1992 Ducati 900 SS, 2009 Triumph Speed Triple
2007 Triumph Bonneville T100, 2005 Honda VTX1300S

post #14 of 23 (permalink) Old Jun 4th, 2019, 2:36 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by rwantin View Post
I've gone to this well more than a few times over the years, there are indeed some great people here.

I'm pretty decent at twirling some wrenches and screwdrivers, but sometimes you get stuck, and the people that have been there know all the useful hacks. A 27-year-old Italian motorcycle is often a fickle mistress, but keeping her on the road is a noble cause. And to have this kind of support, well, it is, for lack of a better word, awesome.
I agree that the Ducatis can be high maintenance and sometimes problematic. But I have to say that the two "modern" Ducatis that I have owned (900SS and 916) I bought new and had very few if any problems. I still have the 1995 916 with 17K on it and had only a water temp sensor go bad as well as the infamous WT gauge lens crack. That is it according to my log - the bike looks and runs like it did when new. But while I used to run it a bit hard, it was always coddled in a warm garage and up to the minute maintenance. So, the message here is that, once they are set up and cared for, they are great bikes.
rwantin and ifly65 like this.

Failure is not an option 1995 Duc 916,1994 Bim DB2,1986 Duc MHR Mille, 1974 Duc 750 Sport, 1965 Duc Monza
post #15 of 23 (permalink) Old Jun 9th, 2019, 3:33 pm Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by casor View Post
I agree that the Ducatis can be high maintenance and sometimes problematic. But I have to say that the two "modern" Ducatis that I have owned (900SS and 916) I bought new and had very few if any problems. I still have the 1995 916 with 17K on it and had only a water temp sensor go bad as well as the infamous WT gauge lens crack. That is it according to my log - the bike looks and runs like it did when new. But while I used to run it a bit hard, it was always coddled in a warm garage and up to the minute maintenance. So, the message here is that, once they are set up and cared for, they are great bikes.

And the Ducati kindness continues:

Today Fredsmoot23 came over and put on new OEM belts. Know I now how to do this. I was needed to hold the pulley on the back belt, other than that I watched and learned.

I am now done with the maintenance with a new log book. I have an excellent running and looking bike (thanks to you guys on this forum...and thanks to belter, I forgot to add him to the list above).

Thanks again Fred for coming over in the heat and teaching me more about my bike. Great tips all the way around.

Ducati 1993 750ss/cr
The past: Honda 1000RR Fireblade F2 Yamaha R6 xj700 xs400 Suzuki GSXR600 Kaw 750 550
post #16 of 23 (permalink) Old Jun 9th, 2019, 4:31 pm

Excellent to see knowledge passed on. FYI there is a seller on Ebay, "thomasperformanceparts", that makes a tool for holding the cam pulley when changing the 2V belts. It is only a few dollars and I found it to be very helpful when I changed the belts on my 900SS. First time I did it, I over tensioned the belts slightly using CA Cycleworks 5mm-6mm wrench measurement process.
psyopper and ifly65 like this.
post #17 of 23 (permalink) Old Jun 9th, 2019, 6:29 pm Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by spacey View Post
Excellent to see knowledge passed on. FYI there is a seller on Ebay, "thomasperformanceparts", that makes a tool for holding the cam pulley when changing the 2V belts. It is only a few dollars and I found it to be very helpful when I changed the belts on my 900SS. First time I did it, I over tensioned the belts slightly using CA Cycleworks 5mm-6mm wrench measurement process.
Thanks spacey, Ill look for that. Yep Fred did the 5mm-6mm trick.

Ducati 1993 750ss/cr
post #18 of 23 (permalink) Old Jun 10th, 2019, 9:10 am

Quote:
Originally Posted by spacey View Post
Excellent to see knowledge passed on. FYI there is a seller on Ebay, "thomasperformanceparts", that makes a tool for holding the cam pulley when changing the 2V belts. It is only a few dollars and I found it to be very helpful when I changed the belts on my 900SS...
He sells them direct from his web site as well and that saves him the PayPal and eBay fees. Just sayin'. Phil is a good guy, makes good tools at reasonable prices and deserves our support. I have the clutch holder tool and it works great and has held up well. His use of Delrin and Urethane keeps the tools from scratching your engine parts. Two thumbs up.

'73 Ducati Bevel Drive 750 GT |'74 Norton Commando Roadster |'96 Ducati 900 Super Sport/SP | '06 Sport 1000 Monoposto
post #19 of 23 (permalink) Old Jun 10th, 2019, 3:46 pm

Thanks for the info. I also have the clutch basket tool. When I need something else, I'll look to buy it direct from him.
post #20 of 23 (permalink) Old Jun 10th, 2019, 6:09 pm
Seņor Member

Seeing the info on Thomas Performance Parts here I ordered the cam pulley holder and chain alignment tools direct.

1996 900 SS/SP #C25
2013 Moto Guzzi V7 Special
2014 Royal Enfield Continental GT
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode