Advice on Prospective SS Cafe Racer build for a Ducati Newbie? - Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 20 (permalink) Old May 26th, 2019, 8:39 pm Thread Starter

Garage
Advice on Prospective SS Cafe Racer build for a Ducati Newbie?

Hello All, first post as I'm migrating from sohc4.net because I'm looking at upgrading my '76 Honda CB550F cafe racer to something more contemporary! I really love my vintage Honda, but I'm starting to outgrow it (it is my first bike), and it just isn't quite reliable enough to keep up riding with friends...

I'm not experienced enough yet to do a crazy custom fabrication job, but my goal is to get a decently priced 900SS and strip it naked, swap for headlight, replace for cafe seat cowl seat. However, the toughest thing that I hope to do if possible is replace the tank for something more classic looking, as I just really am not a fan of aggressively sporty forms. Everything I want to do is purely aesthetic, and maybe I can focus on performance upgrades once I learn a lot more.
REDMAX ONLINE STORE I have found this sport classic tank that says it can fit an SS, but what kind of trouble am I looking at in terms of putting it on for example a 2003 900ss?

I mainly need advice on what year/model I should go for, and how I might swap the tank. I really want to go for Fuel Injection, but I feel a carbed bike would be easier to swap the tank maybe?? I have attached a few photos of what I love and hope to achieve, some obviously much more custom than others!

Thanks a ton all,
Andy
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Ducati-Super-Sport-750-Cafe-Racer-by-Feri-10.jpg
Views:	64
Size:	259.6 KB
ID:	944031   Click image for larger version

Name:	seattle_fullbike5-960x641.jpg
Views:	33
Size:	217.0 KB
ID:	944033   Click image for larger version

Name:	ducati-leggero.jpg
Views:	28
Size:	173.5 KB
ID:	944035   Click image for larger version

Name:	900SS-ducati-cafe-racer-625x417.jpg
Views:	31
Size:	50.5 KB
ID:	944037  
ifly65 likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 20 (permalink) Old May 27th, 2019, 6:09 am
Mexican Ducatista

Garage
You should look for a 1999-2007 SS if you want a fuel injected bike.

The main challenge you will face to transform a SS into a Cafe Racer, is going to be the flat line that goes front to back on cafe racers.

http://www.bikeexif.com/build-cafe-racer

This one you posted is a nice example of how to do it right:

To make a WSM Leggero you will also need to buy a frame and some parts from Walt Siegl:
https://www.ducati.ms/forums/57-supe...ero-build.html

Jorge
Hypermotard 1100S Click here; GT1000 Click here; Classic Taldea Desmodue 1000 Build Project In Progress

Last edited by egomexico; May 27th, 2019 at 6:17 am.
post #3 of 20 (permalink) Old May 27th, 2019, 11:31 am

Im a Ducati noob, but Im looking forward to seeing what you decide and your progress. I will say there are many great pics on this forum of beautiful customized Ducatis.

Ducati 1993 750ss/cr
The past: Honda 1000RR Fireblade F2 Yamaha R6 xj700 xs400 Suzuki GSXR600 Kaw 750 550

post #4 of 20 (permalink) Old May 27th, 2019, 4:28 pm Thread Starter

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by egomexico View Post
This one you posted is a nice example of how to do it right:

To make a WSM Leggero you will also need to buy a frame and some parts from Walt Siegl:
https://www.ducati.ms/forums/57-supe...ero-build.html
As much as I love the WSM Leggero, it’s definitely not in my budget to buy any of his kit! It seems like the bike in the image achieves a similar flat line by somehow dipping the tank down over the frame. It actually looks like it uses that red max sport classic tank that I linked. Any insight into how tough it would be to swap for a tank like that in an EFI SS?
post #5 of 20 (permalink) Old May 27th, 2019, 10:10 pm
Mexican Ducatista

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by magner View Post
As much as I love the WSM Leggero, it’s definitely not in my budget to buy any of his kit! It seems like the bike in the image achieves a similar flat line by somehow dipping the tank down over the frame. It actually looks like it uses that red max sport classic tank that I linked. Any insight into how tough it would be to swap for a tank like that in an EFI SS?
I believe that it is a custom made tank. Definitely not the red max tank. Look at the way it goes down close to the seat section. Also, it looks slicker and narrower.
Here is a link to a 91-98 SS using the redmax tank: https://bellesmachines.com/ducati-900-ss-cafe-racer/

Jorge
Hypermotard 1100S Click here; GT1000 Click here; Classic Taldea Desmodue 1000 Build Project In Progress
post #6 of 20 (permalink) Old May 28th, 2019, 1:43 am Thread Starter

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by egomexico View Post
Look at the way it goes down close to the seat section. Also, it looks slicker and narrower.
Here is a link to a 91-98 SS using the redmax tank: https://bellesmachines.com/ducati-900-ss-cafe-racer/
Can't believe I missed that! Definitely a custom tank, but at least somewhat similar to the red max in form. I like the slimness of that tank better, but seeing as how I am not able to custom fab a tank, the red max might be my best bet.

That linked bike with the red max tank is nice! It looks like the tank does a similar thing that sinks over the unmodified frame in order to produce a flat line. I can't find anything about what all you have to do in order to swap the tank out for the red max, any advice on what I'd have to do?
post #7 of 20 (permalink) Old May 28th, 2019, 8:20 am
Prolific Poster Award

The best information might be had by contacting the manufacturers of the tank you’re interested in. If they tell you it will fit anything, you’ve got your work cut out for you. No matter what you buy, some fabrication will be required. For fuel injection you’ll need a tank with a fitting for the return fuel line, but you’d need that anyway if the bike has a fuel pump as most Ducatis do. It appears to me that several of your pics show the same tank.

'96 Ducati SS900CR, '07 S4RS, '06 Busa, '77 Bonny,
'00 Superglide, '85 Sportster, '78 SR500
post #8 of 20 (permalink) Old May 28th, 2019, 11:05 am

Garage
Here is my 97 900ss. It's undergone extensive modification; but it might help you out with an idea of what you need to accomplish your goal.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	download2.jpg
Views:	20
Size:	9.7 KB
ID:	944315   Click image for larger version

Name:	download 3.jpg
Views:	21
Size:	12.7 KB
ID:	944317   Click image for larger version

Name:	download.jpg
Views:	24
Size:	11.1 KB
ID:	944319   Click image for larger version

Name:	40279128_1612907712148726_2827089704854629725_n.jpg
Views:	18
Size:	50.1 KB
ID:	944321  
egomexico and ifly65 like this.
post #9 of 20 (permalink) Old May 28th, 2019, 11:23 am

Garage
Woah, that's a nice bike Shortround. Is that a martini livery?

Magner, good luck with your build! I'm taking restoring a Sport 1000 and just to get it back to running condition, nothing fab'd (yet), is costing me an arm and a leg. But it's all worth it.
post #10 of 20 (permalink) Old May 28th, 2019, 2:25 pm Thread Starter

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by duc96cr View Post
For fuel injection you’ll need a tank with a fitting for the return fuel line, but you’d need that anyway if the bike has a fuel pump as most Ducatis do.
Thanks that’s very helpful! Is the fuel pump built into the tank on the SS like it is on some monsters? In otherwords, would I need to buy and install a separate new fuel pump in line, or will the one on the bike be good?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode