Spark plug terminal nut. Check 'em! - Page 2 - Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #11 of 12 (permalink) Old Jun 4th, 2019, 12:26 am

Quote:
Originally Posted by BelgianDuc900SS View Post
I was thinking the same way. The plug cap snap on the nut fairly tight and on top of that I tightened the nut with a set of pliers to the spark plug. And still it is rotating.
I'll take a guess that it may be the cap vibrating, in a slight CCW-to-CW manner as the engine runs, ultimately ~unscrewing~ the threaded nut (let's say) 1 or 2 degrees per oscillation.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BelgianDuc900SS View Post
...If the nut will come loose again I probably gonna get plug caps that snap on the thread, not on the nut.
This seems like a viable and smart solution.

Never Quit, Die Falling Forward
1996 900 CR. ... LOW ZOOT
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #12 of 12 (permalink) Old Jun 6th, 2019, 2:41 am

Garage
The other thing to check (for random misfires, esp. at low revs/idle) is the connection of the plug cap to the HT wire. It's a screw together connection, and with age, the wires inside the cable break and disappear, and the end of the cable expands a bit, so the screw doesn't contact things too well electrically.
Easy fix - unscrew the plug cap, snip off about 12mm (1/2") from the end of the cable, and screw the plug cap back into nice fresh wires.

This solved a misfire problem that I had for far too long - because I kept thinking it was the carbs. It wasn't until I got some second hand coils to change them out, and thought to check how well the plug cap was attached (not very well) that I thought to check the same thing with my plug caps.
alliswell and BelgianDuc900SS like this.

'95 900 Superlight IV #064

Mods are: K&N filter, airbox lid on with rubber trumpets removed, MBP collets, full SMI (SilMoto Italia) spaghetti exhaust with 'open' carbon cans, 41mm FCR's - #182 mains!, Barnett alloy clutch basket, Oberon slave cylinder, Ohlins fork springs, Ohlins rear shock, Verlicchi swingarm.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode