Solo Seat Airtech VS. Sharkskinz? - Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum
  • 2 Post By BelgianDuc900SS
  • 2 Post By Iwannaduc

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 4 (permalink) Old May 20th, 2019, 1:30 pm Thread Starter

Solo Seat Airtech VS. Sharkskinz?

I have noticed the cost of doing a solo seat is going to be more than I thought. After you buy the seat, hardware, pads and have it painted it could be north of $1000.00. Sharkskinz is more than Airtech by about $90.00 not including the $75.00 shipping...

Which is better Airtech or Onemoto?

Which one is heavier or sturdier?

Ive read the Sharkskinz has molded supports built in, does that mean I don't need OEM brackets at those places?

How much is the used OEM vintage 900ss Superlight II solo seat (If you can find one)?

Thanks!!!

Ducati 1993 750ss
The past: Honda 1000RR Fireblade F2 Yamaha R6 xj700 xs400 Suzuki GSXR600 Kaw 750 550

Last edited by ifly65; May 20th, 2019 at 1:35 pm.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 (permalink) Old May 21st, 2019, 9:21 am

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by ifly65 View Post
I have noticed the cost of doing a solo seat is going to be more than I thought. After you buy the seat, hardware, pads and have it painted it could be north of $1000.00. Sharkskinz is more than Airtech by about $90.00 not including the $75.00 shipping...

Ive read the Sharkskinz has molded supports built in, does that mean I don't need OEM brackets at those places?

How much is the used OEM vintage 900ss Superlight II solo seat (If you can find one)?

Thanks!!!
No idea on the Sharkzkinz or Airtech but I recently found out that rsrmoto.com (>>click here<<) has their carbon fibre solo seat on sale at the moment.
From 420 to 315. Shipping (US) is 111. Total 426 or +/- $475.

Not as cheap as the ones you pointed out but if you like carbon fibre you can forget about the paint job.

So maybe...
RockAZ and ifly65 like this.

1997 Ducati 900 SS Full Fairing
post #3 of 4 (permalink) Old May 21st, 2019, 1:35 pm

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by ifly65 View Post

Thanks!!!
I went with AirTech for mine. If you want to go that route, allow for a 3 week lead time on production. I don't know about the avialability of Sharkskinz so I can not adequately comment on that subject. I do know they have a stellar reputation for a quality product. I've seen some of their stuff for other bikes and it is indeed really good stuff.

I considered the RSR Moto stuff too, as from what I can see it looks of very high quality. I'm planning on getting my front and rear fenders from them.

Also, Combi here on the forum is making a carbon solo tail that it appears to need only the upholstry to fit. He's built in the supports to sit on the frame to take the load of the riders weight.

As for the OEM Superlight solo seat, I saw one going for $500 on eBay right around a month ago. I don't know if it sold at that price or if that was the beginning auction price. Only that I saw the listing for $500 one day, and it was gone the next day.

Unless you were to go with the solo unit Combi has made, you'll need all the support brackets and the rubber mount cushions to go with the solo unit, unless you have a different method to support the riders weight. Otherwise your nice new solo tail will end up cracked from the stress of holding up the rider with only the 4 bolts to support you......sean
jimmyjojo and ifly65 like this.

Quote:
My garage: Twins:2000.5 Mille R, 2000 996, 1994 EX500 basket case 1993 900SS. Suzukis: 2004 GSXR600, 1992 GSXR750 oil boiler, 1983 XN-85 Turbo

post #4 of 4 (permalink) Old Jun 2nd, 2019, 2:16 am

I just pulled the seat mount moulds off the plug today. I have designed them to fully support the seat with a greater surface area for the mounts and they stiffen and strengthen the seat as a whole. There is a simple clear tube that is place on the frame to protect it which is available via any hardware store and is a common size. Once everything is up and running properly I am going to sell just the mounts so that people can retro fit them to what ever seat they have as they are way better than the original mounts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode