Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner

Speedo angle drive problem

1K views 2 replies 2 participants last post by  NickB 
#1 ·
I recently needed to remove the angle drive off the back of my '95 900ss. After attaching the speedometer cable, pushing the bike around the garage causes the needle to jump around the face of the speedo in 20mph increments with a clicking sound. Any clues on what is going on?

I put the little green gear back on the speedo shaft so the shaft fits into the gear, with the key in the slot on the gear.
When I turn the shaft with my fingers, without the angle drive attached, the needle moves 1:1 with the shaft and stays where it stops.
When I assemble the parts and try to turn the speedo cable at the wheel end, I get resistance one direction and movement the other, though with no needle movement.
When I put the wheel end of the cable back in the drive and push the bike around, I get the jumping needle.

Am I missing something?

I don't think the green shaft gear is installed backward as if you reverse it it won't fit all the way into the angle drive housing.
Is this a magnetic speedo? If so I would imagine I would need lots of revs on the cable to get the needle to move, and moving the shaft with my fingers ought to have little resistance and no needle movement.

There is nothing in the factory or Haynes manuals to cover this, and I can't come up with an exploded diagram of the angle drive to ensure it's going back together properly.

Thanks!
Nick Brown
Kirkland, WA
1995 900SS/SP

See less See more
#2 · (Edited)
Mine did that too, 20 miles before it broke. Maybe your experience will be different, but I swapped over just the insert cable from my other bike and it broke too within a day. Maybe part of the coils in the housing lining was buggered, I dunno, but the whole assembly cable replacement took care of it.

To get the square end back up and seated in the speedometer correctly, it's easiest to hold it into the receptacle, then spin the bottom of the
cable with your fingers until it drops up into place. Gently tighten that speedo end a couple of turns, then hold it there while you mate up the bottom. Now both are seated, tighten both.

As far as the angle, if you have the right order of spacers on the axle, and the "tangs" on the speedo drive pointing the right way it should go right in.

What part is green again? Got a pic? No, nothing is magnetic based in the system, the tangs match up and whack each other to a predictable amount. The next time mine breaks I'm going to swap it out for a GPS based one, would have already if I found a matching gauge.

#3 ·
The cable is new and spins smoothly in its housing, and I don't think I'm having trouble getting it inserted back into the angle drive, but I'll double-check. To be clear, it's the drive on the back of the speedometer, not the drive at the wheel.

The little green gear is shown in the two pictures below. It seems like it sits on the shaft and then meshes with the white gear in the angle drive. But rather than advancing to a speed while turning and then dropping to 0mph, it jumps around and sticks. And this is just me pushing the bike around.

Nick

Attachments

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.