Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner

96 900ss/sp-order of spacers for rear caliper mount ?

549 views 5 replies 3 participants last post by  duc96cr 
#1 ·
On the stand the rear wheel runs freely, but something must be occasionally rubbing on the rear rotor, right in the middle about where the bolts of the caliper would be.
I notice the rear caliper is not centered on the rotor : too far in (wheel side piston pushed out much more than the outside piston) and the caliper mount is very close to the rotor. So I'm wondering if I have the mount spacers/bushing mounted backwards on the rear wheel axle.
I have now the larger one against the swing arm and the smaller one against the wheel - rationale being that the larger one would provide larger area against the alu swing arm.
On the part drawing (here part #40 and #38), looks like it should be the other way around. I can see how that would move the caliper mount further away from the wheel and therefore better center it the rotor, but wouldn't the smaller bushing area 'hurt' the swing arm ?

#2 ·
I’m not sure, someone needs to actually look at their SP and take some pics for you. There is at least one other place on a Ducati where a spacer fits perfectly but is backwards if you put it in the logical way, the rear wheel. It will bind the wheel. So you cannot go by the way that appears to be correct. I had a similar issue on a Triumph rear caliper. If I assembled it per the drawing, the brake caliper arm caused the caliper not to be centered on the rotor, and it was different front and rear. The solution was to use the spacers , and maybe some extra spacers, washers , to shim the brake arm to straighten the caliper on the rotor and center it both front and rear. Before you start this you MUST make sure the rear wheel is in perfect alignment. Do not get locked into the idea that your bike must perfectly match the assembly diagram, because they are a shakey guideline at best. Tiny pictures, not always drawn to scale, and not always accurate. What you are looking for is perfect alignment of the caliper on the rotor, not matching your bike to a drawing. Do what is required to make it right.

#4 ·
I took it all apart this evening and it's some raised edge inside the caliper next to the pads that is rubbing on the rotor. I guess when I apply brakes.
There is indeed no other satisfactory way to assemble the rear (swapping the spacers around results in a wider setup that doesn't fit in the swingarm) so I ended up using a washer as spacer between the mount and the caliper pushing it about 1mm further out. And, yes, before it looked very similar to RockAZ's. Thanks for your input.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.