How do I effectively Dyno tune my Carby tomorrow? - Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 27 (permalink) Old May 11th, 2019, 1:35 pm Thread Starter

Garage
Finally got my dyno appointment tomorrow. It's a Mustang Dyno, I believe just an inertia roller type. The guy who owns it is not a tuner. I'm paying "by the pull" and I will have time to mess with it in between.

The bike is my 900SS with racked FCR41 and 11:1 pistons. So far running 158 mains, EMT needles one clip above middle just to be safe, otherwise sudco standard settings. KN pod filters and decorked stock pipes. It runs good, but uses a lot of fuel so i want to find out where my AFR is.

So far my plan is to do roughly the same order as I would on the street:

- Try to make a full throttle pull and establish main jet size (I only have a set of 165 and 152 main jets to swap in though)

- another pull to verify that potential main jet swap worked, if applicable

- then do I try a pull at 1/2 throttle to check needle position? Or would I try to establish this by rolling on slowly during a full pull?

- what about 1/8-1/4 throttle (pilot jet and screws)?

- I also have an ignitech installed, that I plan to fit a TPS to this summer. Will I have to repeat the partial throttle stuff then, and if so - does it make much sense to even mess with that now?

- 2002 998
- 1994 900SS-CR
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 27 (permalink) Old May 11th, 2019, 3:06 pm

Garage
First run is always a throw away never count it do between 2-3 runs at each setting look for runs 2 and 3 to be the same (close).

Start with full power runs from 3000rpms up
100% throttle

1/2 throttle

1/4 throttle

1/8 throttle.

you are after the air fuel data in each set. Start with 100% and then make your changes when you are done (and with the jets you have you will be soon.
Then move on to set #2 1/2 throttle and so on. Look more to gain data and less on making it 100% as you do not have the parts to change just learn some info.
ifly65 likes this.
post #3 of 27 (permalink) Old May 11th, 2019, 4:09 pm Thread Starter

Garage
Thanks, that will get me started. I've never had a bike on a Dyno so I don't know what to expect.

I'm trying to get a few more bits and pieces to bring there tomorrow. Borrowing some jets from a local shop. I also have a different set of pod filters (uni foam instead of KN)

What would you say I should take? They dont have much in stock unfortunately but I can probably get more mains to cover a wider range? Maybe some pilot jets?

- 2002 998
- 1994 900SS-CR

post #4 of 27 (permalink) Old May 11th, 2019, 6:17 pm
Prolific Poster Award

The more jets you have with you, the better. Don’t change the pods until you’ve found the right mains.

'96 Ducati SS900CR, '07 S4RS, '06 Busa, '77 Bonny,
'00 Superglide, '85 Sportster, '78 SR500
post #5 of 27 (permalink) Old May 12th, 2019, 4:02 pm Thread Starter

Garage
Well the computer crashed badly after the warm up pull.. so it'll be a while until I can try again

- 2002 998
- 1994 900SS-CR
post #6 of 27 (permalink) Old May 12th, 2019, 9:54 pm

Wow. Your bike made enough HP to break the dyno. I think you're done.
post #7 of 27 (permalink) Old May 12th, 2019, 10:43 pm
Prolific Poster Award

So , since you have time, I suggest dropping the needles a notch and see if it still runs well. In normal riding your on the needle 90% of the time so if fuel mileage is bad that’s the area to fiddle with. I don’t know the condition of your carbs, but worn needles and emulsion tubes are guaranteed to make your mileage suck. If they’re worn, see if you can get titanium needles and nickel plated emulsion tubes from Factory Pro. They’ll have a longer life. If your pilot jets are too large that won’t help either, but it shouldn’t effect mileage all that much. Mains, same thing . In other words, rich mixture is throwing fuel away. Air intake restrictions won’t help either, which is why I prefer an air box over pods. The Dyno will tell you that, one way or the other. Regarded timing and exhaust restriction also effect mileage. So does valve adjustment. So if all that stuff is spot on and your mileage still sucks it’s probably the same issue most Ducatis have, a loose nut holding the throttle.

'96 Ducati SS900CR, '07 S4RS, '06 Busa, '77 Bonny,
'00 Superglide, '85 Sportster, '78 SR500
post #8 of 27 (permalink) Old May 13th, 2019, 9:18 am

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by duc96cr View Post
If they’re worn, see if you can get titanium needles and nickel plated emulsion tubes from Factory Pro. They’ll have a longer life.
I hate to be the bearer of bad news but I went to Factory Pro to see about the nickel plated emulsion tubes. As they're pretty local (about 45 minutes away)in San Rafael, I figured going in person was better than an email.

From what they told me there, they don't have anymore of the nickel plated emulsion tubes and had no date for availability of more. You can still get the Ti needles, and a complete jet kit though.

I ended up having to order new, Yamaha OEM emulsion tubes from Ron Ayer's. They were around $14 each or so. I don't remember the part number off the top of my head, and I'm at work so I can't just walk to the garage and take a look.

On Factory Pro's recommendation, I ordered emulsion tubes for a 1996 Yamaha TRX850 using the Ron Ayer's online microfiche. They're of brass construction but if you need to replace ovaled out tubes....I was kind of in a "take what I can get" situation.

I can't tell you how well they work, as my SS project has yet to make any smoke noise, but I wanted to post the information I got from Factory Pro.......sean
ifly65 likes this.

Quote:
My garage: Twins:2000.5 Mille R, 2000 996, 1994 EX500 basket case 1993 900SS. Suzukis: 2004 GSXR600, 1992 GSXR750 oil boiler, 1983 XN-85 Turbo
post #9 of 27 (permalink) Old May 13th, 2019, 10:44 am

Garage
We are talking about FCR's not mikuni carbs fyi. I am unaware that factory had needles and tubes for the FCR's but I never had reason to look.

You are guaranteed to need whatever you do NOT bring so bring as much as possible, keep in mind you are best off bringing ONLY Keihin branded jets as aftermarkets are not going to meter the same. Look for the logo on the jet and if it is not a oem kehin know that there is NOT a direct comparison so a EBC 150 is not the same as a Keihin 150 but if it is a DG and it has the Keihin logo on the jet you are still good.

I can not tell you how sad it makes you when the dyno crashes so I feel his pain, having lost one dyno computer it is now backed up regularly as the info is too valuable to loose. be sure after the runs you get a run with air/fuel and post it up. also make sure he is measuring with a correction factor in SAE not DIN,STD or uncorrected.
post #10 of 27 (permalink) Old May 13th, 2019, 7:28 pm Thread Starter

Garage
The guy running this Dyno isn't very computer savvy unfortunately, I watched him set up my "vehicle" on the mustang configuration software and I found some of the values that ended up in there a bit questionable. He was struggling getting it to go, so he ended up putting in a bunch of random numbers for weight etc, so the software would let him continue. I don't know if any of it has any bearing on the results, but I will say that whatever I end up with is probably not going to be 100% comparable.

Any way it's cheap Dyno time, and all I really want is AFRs vs throttle/RPM.

From what I could see on the screen before the blue screen of death, I was around 11.5-12.5 the entire time during the one real pull that I did (at full throttle), so I guess I should maybe try a slightly smaller main? 155 or 152 instead of 158?
At idle it was reading 12.4 so I could back that off a fair bit.
I will also drop the needle back to the middle position and do some road testing to see if fuel consumption improves. Now that I have some data that shows I'm generally rich, I feel safer leaning things out a bit.

He says he got the computer fixed and will be able to send me a sheet later today.

I will be able to go back there probably in 2 weeks time.

- 2002 998
- 1994 900SS-CR
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode