How do I effectively Dyno tune my Carby tomorrow? - Page 2 - Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #11 of 27 (permalink) Old May 13th, 2019, 8:08 pm
Prolific Poster Award

Factory Pro did realize you were looking for Keihin parts , didnít they ? I thought the Yams used Mikunis.

'96 Ducati SS900CR, '07 S4RS, '06 Busa, '77 Bonny,
'00 Superglide, '85 Sportster, '78 SR500
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #12 of 27 (permalink) Old May 14th, 2019, 6:59 am

Garage
the one run is better than nothing But I would not make any changes based on what you found in that run.

A second run may be quite different so talk to the dyno guy and see if it is true of his dyno as well. That said a 158 is pretty big for a supersport so a 155 might be closer. For a full throttle run on a dyno I shoot for about 12.5:1 because the bike will be leaner on the road. If you jet for peak power/best airflow on the dyno you may find you are a touch lean on the road when you add wind speed.

Low and part throttle likes to be between 13-14:1 for cruise snappiness but more open throttle runs imply you are forcing more air in and if you jet to 13.5:1 on the dyno you will lean out and have lower power on the road. His dyno set up will be important so pay attention to this.

The bike should be around average running temp before runs are counted as well so if the bike is often at 200 deg make it so on the dyno before counting runs. work with the guy he may be starting out and will appreciate the experience he is getting as much as the money. if it looks like it will take a ton of runs feel free to negotiate a bulk rate instead of paying per run.
post #13 of 27 (permalink) Old May 14th, 2019, 7:42 pm

On FCR carbs you need to disable the accelerator pumps ( safety wire works) because the squirt throws all your readings out of wack. Or you need to be in steady state long enough for the readings to settle to get a proper air/fuel

post #14 of 27 (permalink) Old May 20th, 2019, 12:14 pm

When did you ask about the Factory Pro tubes? I just received a pair of the nickel-plated emulsion tubes from Factory Pro about a month ago. I installed them last week, along with new seals and diaphragms, and the bike runs beautifully now.

I had the emulsion tubes on order for about a year, but they did eventually turn up!

Nick
post #15 of 27 (permalink) Old May 20th, 2019, 2:11 pm

Garage
Public service announcement:

The Op does not have mikuni CV carbs so no factory emulsion tubes or diaphragms.
He has Keihin FCR's like the rest of you should have but have not spent the money on yet (it is a lot) .

Now if he did you all would be 100% right in that he should go through the carbs and adjust the valves before taking it to the dyno, so good job!

And now this is the spot where we all gang up on the few of you left who have not installed keihins
post #16 of 27 (permalink) Old May 20th, 2019, 4:03 pm

Location: Det er bedre med en Dram i timen enn en time i Drammen, , No (r) Way
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by ducvet View Post
And now this is the spot where we all gang up on the few of you left who have not installed keihins
Yes agreed & we can start here:
https://www.ducati.ms/forums/129-par...41-splits.html
Calling Belgian!!!

1997 900SS; 1997 916SPS (#296); 2001 996R (Unnumbered)
The mouth of a perfectly happy man is filled with beer
post #17 of 27 (permalink) Old May 20th, 2019, 6:06 pm

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by NickB View Post
When did you ask about the Factory Pro tubes? I just received a pair of the nickel-plated emulsion tubes from Factory Pro about a month ago. I installed them last week, along with new seals and diaphragms, and the bike runs beautifully now.

I had the emulsion tubes on order for about a year, but they did eventually turn up!

Nick
This was late last year. Probably October or so. No matter, the OP has Keihins rather than the stock Mikunis so the point is moot.

Quote:
My garage: Twins:2000.5 Mille R, 2000 996, 1994 EX500 basket case 1993 900SS. Suzukis: 2004 GSXR600, 1992 GSXR750 oil boiler, 1983 XN-85 Turbo
post #18 of 27 (permalink) Old May 20th, 2019, 6:10 pm

Garage
Quote:
He has Keihin FCR's like the rest of you should have but have not spent the money on yet (it is a lot) .
Gang up all you want. A set of FCRs is more than I spent on my project 900SS to begin with. As such, mine will get the stock carbs that I've already had rebuilt.

If I were to make a change, it would be to fuel injection as I can likely do that for less money, and not have any carbs to deal with anymore.

Personally, if I were going to drop an amount of money equal to my initial purchase price, I'd drop it on a set of magnesium wheels instead.....sean

Quote:
My garage: Twins:2000.5 Mille R, 2000 996, 1994 EX500 basket case 1993 900SS. Suzukis: 2004 GSXR600, 1992 GSXR750 oil boiler, 1983 XN-85 Turbo
post #19 of 27 (permalink) Old May 21st, 2019, 1:23 am

Garage
Quote:
Public service announcement:

The Op does not have mikuni CV carbs so no factory emulsion tubes or diaphragms.
That's an easy to solve problem; just buy Mikunis! Only then you can get and use Factory emulsion tubes.

Quote:
He has Keihin FCR's
No idea why he bought these things. If he had bought Mikunis he wouldn't have to be complaining about those factory emulsion tubes that he lacks...

Quote:
like the rest of you should have
If we wanted to get rid of those factory emulsion tubes and nobody wants that! Factory emulsion tubes are the best you can get!
But you need Mikunis for those. Keihins are worthless in that case.

Quote:
but have not spent the money on yet (it is a lot) .
I can buy ten sets of Factory emulsion tubes for the price of one set of Keihins! Ten sets!! Factory!!! Emulsion tubes!!!!!
So I put one set in my bike and have 9 sets left to keep in a silver box and admire every night before I go to sleep.

Quote:
Now if he did you all would be 100% right in that he should go through the carbs and adjust the valves before taking it to the dyno, so good job!
Yeah right, with Keihins you don't need to adjust the valves anymore. I forgot...

Quote:
You probably mean 'line up'. To come and see our beautiful Mikunis with these glorious Factory emulsion tubes.
And then go home and curse those damn Keihins you once bought.

1997 Ducati 900 SS Full Fairing
post #20 of 27 (permalink) Old May 21st, 2019, 1:25 am

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Neil66 View Post
Yes agreed & we can start here:
https://www.ducati.ms/forums/129-par...41-splits.html
Calling Belgian!!!
I've got three words for you;

Factory
Emulsion
Tubes

Nah.

1997 Ducati 900 SS Full Fairing
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode