1991 900ss engine Vin # - Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 8 (permalink) Old May 11th, 2019, 12:38 pm Thread Starter

Garage
1991 900ss engine Vin #

Hi everyone I am new to the Ducati world, I am and have been a BMW person for a very long time I own a shop here in Florida and do service and restorations on all BMW motorcycles from 1923-current models. But Ducati is a new thing for me. I just purchased a 1991 900ss for me to ride and enjoy, This bike has not been run in a long time but I done a full service & replaced timing belts to get it ready to ride. I with BMW's have always been a detail person and it has to be absolutely correct for that model & that year. This 900ss is a very early bike it is Vin # 28 this was not a bike that was imported to the U.S. but it was brought here in 2003 by a military person who purchased it from the original owner who worked for Ducati. In looking this bike over I have noticed that there is no engine number stamped on the engine, I do know that the engine has never been replaced and it is original to this bike, Have any of you guys out there ever seen one that was not stamped the boss is totally blank this is just odd to me but then the Italians dont keep records like Herman the German. maybe I am over thinking this but I'm just curious. Thank you
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 (permalink) Old May 11th, 2019, 2:58 pm

Garage
All bikes imported here would have had a engine and frame VIN, when you are talking about bring backs from military I have no idea what the process would be. I can add a couple things.

1. Ducati / Cagiva would not be above slightly shady things back in the day as it was run like a typical small business and not some corporate machine ( I miss those days). I know of euro spec test bikes that never left this country and a "test " bike may not be technically sold as a street bike but I would not say it is impossible that one was.

2. engine cases un-stamped were usually due to the motor (cases) being replaced, I changed many race motors to brand new cases and the new cases had no numbers and we never re-stamped the old numbers on the new cases. Why they would be changed could be many reasons from defects to accidents. Someone in Italy should know if engines were ever sent out unstamped from the factory but I highly Doubt it regardless of country.

3. If Reno owned it he was more than capable of changing cases for many reasons, so before or after owning it would be a question for him.

If a Italian VIN bike would you share the VIN?
post #3 of 8 (permalink) Old May 11th, 2019, 4:08 pm Thread Starter

Garage
Yes this bike was purchased new by Renato-but kind of hard to ask him anything as he died about 4 years ago. This bike being as early as it is could have been a test bike or maybe a pre production bike in Italy-but who know's. But it's in very good condition thats why I purchased it, The Vin on the bike is ZDM906SC2*000028* The vin number even if you try to look it up makes no sense--everything I have found says that the Euro vin #'s are 13 digits--this is not -it's 15 if you dont count the * figures but again this could just be an odd ball bike.

post #4 of 8 (permalink) Old May 11th, 2019, 4:28 pm

Garage
I would be excited that you have something other than a run of the mill Supersport. As time goes on, maybe you will uncover exactly what's special about it.

1996 900 SS/SP #C22, 1996 916 Corsa (ex-Ferracci), 1998 916 SPS #774, 2001 996R (US), 2001 996R (Euro), 2002 998R #481, 2011 848 EVO (Race), 2008 1098R #262, 2014 1199 Superleggera #213
post #5 of 8 (permalink) Old May 11th, 2019, 6:18 pm

i was told a few of the 91 had issues with porous cases, and i know of at least one locally that had the cases replaced. the number should have been transferred over in that case (we always did), but who knows.

it wouldn't have made it down the production line without an engine number.

know all wanker
post #6 of 8 (permalink) Old May 11th, 2019, 6:35 pm Thread Starter

Garage
I seem to attract the odd, rare & weird lol
post #7 of 8 (permalink) Old May 11th, 2019, 6:37 pm Thread Starter

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by belter View Post
i was told a few of the 91 had issues with porous cases, and i know of at least one locally that had the cases replaced. the number should have been transferred over in that case (we always did), but who knows.

it wouldn't have made it down the production line without an engine number.
Guido was drunk when he was on the line and missed it. lol
post #8 of 8 (permalink) Old May 11th, 2019, 6:41 pm Thread Starter

Garage
I actually saw a Ducati engine that when the cylinders were removed and you looked down in the case there was a cigarette butt in the bottom--the bike has around 500 miles on it. I could not believe it. Cant remember exactly which model it was but it was mid 90's
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode