power commander 2002 900ss ie - Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 15 (permalink) Old May 11th, 2019, 8:13 am Thread Starter

Garage
power commander 2002 900ss ie

As I begin the rebuild of my 2002 Ducati 900ss ie, I'm looking for the correct power commander, based on the advice of Doug Lofgren. I see a lot of 1999 PCIIIs available, but want to make sure they are compatible with my 2002 ECU. Can anyone help? Are all the FI 900 bikes the same?

"I push, and I push, and I'm happy with what comes out." - V. Rossi
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 15 (permalink) Old May 11th, 2019, 9:23 am
Prolific Poster Award

They are. The pc only intercepts the injection pulse signal, interprets and returns a modified signal. And it also picks up the tps voltage.

Last edited by xracer; May 11th, 2019 at 9:35 am.
post #3 of 15 (permalink) Old May 11th, 2019, 6:26 pm
Excel Addict

Caution using PC III with 15M A8 ECU

The ECU pins on the A8 differ slightly from the A0, which is what is listed on the PC web site.

The PC web site does not list A8 models.

See the attached for the pin differences and what you have to do if you want to install an A8 ECU in a bike with a harness for an A0.
Download and remove the .pdf extension. That is why I did it originally, however it is useful here.

As xracer wrote the PC III intercepts the injection signal and all important ECU pins are the same for the PC III. to function.

This is what needs to be checked on the PC III harness connectors and I expect it is not the case.
If all pins, apart from the N/C not connected that match on each model, "pass through" the PC III harness then you will be OK.
The pins of concern are 15, 16 and 19. I have included another tab in the Excel workbook to show which pins are which.

Test the PC III harness with a multimeter on the resistance scale.
There should be zero resistance between pin 15 into the PC III and pin 15 out of the PC III. Same for 16 and 19.
If the resistance is infinite, then there are not wires in the PC III harness and it will not work with an A8 bike, such as yours as there will be no required connection between your ECU and your bike's harness.

An alternative with more mapping granularity using the full 16 TPS and 16 RPM breakpoints as opposed to 10 TP breakpoints in the PC III is as follows.

Buy the Lonelec cable for GuzziDiag, JPDiag etc. About 25 Pounds Sterling.
https://www.lonelec.co.uk/Guzzidiag-...nterface-Cable

Download and donate to GuzziDiag - download IAW 15x Reader and IAW 15x Writer.
https://www.von-der-salierburg.de/download/GuzziDiag/

Download in the Downloads area and donate to Tunerpro.
The basic version is fine, so you do not need the RT version.
https://www.tunerpro.net

You can the modify your map in Tunerpro then use IAW Writer to flash your A8 ECU.

I have attached the required XDF for the A8 ECU and the bin file that I am using in my bike, which has open airbox, enlarged crossover and DP exhausts.
It still needs a bit more work, but it is better than the DP bin file that came in the ECU.
Just remove the .pdf from each after downloading.
Attached Files
File Type: pdf 15M_Ducati_M900_V1.0.xdf.pdf (62.7 KB, 5 views)
File Type: pdf 900SS_2002_DP_Mods_by_Punch.bin.pdf (64.0 KB, 9 views)
File Type: pdf 15M A8 900SS 750SS M900 and 15M A0 900SS.xlsx.pdf (473.2 KB, 6 views)
xracer likes this.

Richard Collins - 2001 900SSie I have a 2 strike policy - 2 no responses from a poster = no more responses from me to any post by them. I have a good memory!

Last edited by Punch; May 12th, 2019 at 4:52 pm. Reason: Typo and info

post #4 of 15 (permalink) Old May 12th, 2019, 5:41 pm Thread Starter

Garage
So I checked, I have an A8 ECU... so I guess the PCIII won't work. I'm more of a carb guy, to be honest, and me and technology (as in the laptop kind) don't always get along. Also, the only tuning shop for 1000km only does power commander... I asked about Tune ECU and GuzziDag and got a blank stare. Any idiot-proof youtube videos to help someone out?

James

post #5 of 15 (permalink) Old May 12th, 2019, 6:26 pm
Excel Addict

I knew you had an A8.
The PC will work if the pins I mentioned pass through the PC.

This is from my phone on the way to work. Tonight I will get some stuff together if I can.
I have written a guide that covers some of what you want to know in the data logging and mapping thread.
Around post 177 from memory.

Edit - this is the link.
https://www.ducati.ms/forums/5774025-post177.html

Richard Collins - 2001 900SSie I have a 2 strike policy - 2 no responses from a poster = no more responses from me to any post by them. I have a good memory!

Last edited by Punch; May 12th, 2019 at 7:12 pm. Reason: Added link to the guide in Datalogging and mapping
post #6 of 15 (permalink) Old May 12th, 2019, 7:12 pm Thread Starter

Garage
Thanks Punch, I appreciate it!

post #7 of 15 (permalink) Old May 14th, 2019, 3:40 am
Excel Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by tangobravo View Post
As I begin the rebuild of my 2002 Ducati 900ss ie, I'm looking for the correct power commander, based on the advice of Doug Lofgren. I see a lot of 1999 PCIIIs available, but want to make sure they are compatible with my 2002 ECU. Can anyone help? Are all the FI 900 bikes the same?
Hi I have been busy at work, but might have time tomorrow to get some stuff together.

What is the configuration of your 900?
Stock or open airbox aftermarket and/or DP exhausts.
If the latter, then you could just write/flash the bin I developed with Andreas and you will be happier.
Just had an email from Georg Siotis in Greece and he is over the moon!

Quoting Georg.
"It's the best .bin file for years! very carefully trimmed, one can clearly get the same feeling (like back in the Days) after getting your Engine with the carburettors trimmed from a real PRO.
The hesitations around 3.500 rpm are gone, and it pulls like a train from 5000 rpm and up. Clearly the improvement one was looking for.
K&N filter and Micron exhaust cans, quite open.
This is what it should have looked like from the beginning, when Ducati designed it."

post #8 of 15 (permalink) Old May 14th, 2019, 6:19 am Thread Starter

Garage
Hi Punch -- not stock -- pof K&N filters from California cycleworks, and a Bimot 2-1 header system (from a DB4) into a megaphone exhaust from Cone engineering. Otherwise stock...

Thanks!

post #9 of 15 (permalink) Old May 14th, 2019, 7:01 am
Excel Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by tangobravo View Post
Hi Punch -- not stock -- pof K&N filters from California cycleworks, and a Bimot 2-1 header system (from a DB4) into a megaphone exhaust from Cone engineering. Otherwise stock...

Thanks!
OK

What bin file/map are you using at the moment?

Stock or a DP bin file?

If it is stock then you will be running lean.

Even if you are running a DP map, it will not be as good as it should be, but will be better than stock.

By the way, I am no tuning "expert"
All I am doing is applying my math (s) skills to analysing data to achieve a desired outcome.

Just great that I can combine Excel with bikes.

Excel is an addiction or some similar wording.

Last edited by Punch; May 14th, 2019 at 7:10 am. Reason: More info
post #10 of 15 (permalink) Old May 14th, 2019, 6:21 pm Thread Starter

Garage
Currently bone stock ECU, and with the airbox delete and exhaust, I too am worried about an overly lean condition!

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode