'99 900ssie Critical Headlight Wiring Issue - HELP! - Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 21 (permalink) Old May 5th, 2019, 6:26 pm Thread Starter

'99 900ssie Critical Headlight Wiring Issue - HELP!

Hi guys. This is a bit of a mission-critical kind of thing. As my car goes into the body shop tomorrow morning I need this bike to get to work. So this issue has to be resolved yet today/tonight.

PO installed a LED bulb which sucked. Last week I installed a H4 Hella 130/90 bulb. Now before you start, I know this bulb was not going to perform at it's max due to the stock wiring being so light, But I was planning on doing the relay with large wires direct to battery thing this coming week. Figured I could get by for the little riding I would be doing from then until now.

But Friday the headlight died. Thought it might be the fuse. Nope, not the fuse. Then maybe the bulb. Not the bulb. Time to tear everything apart and start chasing wires.

What I've determined so far. No power at the bulb socket. No power at the high/low switch solder points. But there is power at the connection of harness to left-hand controls. And here's where it gets really weird. As you can see in the photos, the high/low switch has black/green/white wires. The harness side connector has black/green/white wires and there is power at the black/green wires.

The catch is, and you really have to study the 2 connectors to get this, the controls side black/green wires DO NOT line up with the black/green wires on the harness side. The black/green (hot) wires line with the blue & grey wires on the controls connector. (in the photo the grey wire is immediately adjacent to the blue wire but look white) And I'm unable to determine where those wires go to. In fact to add to the confusion the high/low flasher switch has white w/blue and yellow w/green wires that don't show up at the connector at all.

To be certain, I did double check the wires on the control side. the black/green/whites wires to terminate at the connector as the black/green/wire wires. However (FWIW) the 2 wires for the high/low flasher do not terminate at the connector at all. But one can see the wires of the high/low flasher going into the wire wrap heading toward the connector. But, as I said, they don't show up.

Finally, the wires going to the headlight are black/white and yellow w/black

As you look at the photos the male connector is the left-hand controls and the female connector is the (bike) harness.

Hope this makes sense.

I'm confounded. I've done automotive wiring before but you could count on the wire colors being consistent from one end of the car to the other. In this case there seems to be no consistency. And I NEED this bike to work tomorrow morning!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_5875.JPG
Views:	25
Size:	3.04 MB
ID:	942509   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_5879.JPG
Views:	20
Size:	1.54 MB
ID:	942511   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_5877.JPG
Views:	22
Size:	1.39 MB
ID:	942513   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_5876.JPG
Views:	21
Size:	2.93 MB
ID:	942515  

06 Ducati ST3s (in the rebuild process)
'99 Ducati 900ss (literally bone stock w/8k miles)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 21 (permalink) Old May 5th, 2019, 6:39 pm

wiring colours are irrelevant. follow what connects to what.
xracer likes this.

know all wanker
post #3 of 21 (permalink) Old May 5th, 2019, 6:48 pm Thread Starter

Tried that but that makes even less sense. If you follow where the blk/grn/wht wires on the control side to where they mate on the harness and then check for power on the harness side, there is none. Example the green wire on the control side goes to a brown wire on the harness side. (I think the green is + for the low beam) The blk wire on the control side mates to the wht wire on the harness side (blk is grd) and the wht wire on control side mates to the yellow w/blk on the harness side.

post #4 of 21 (permalink) Old May 5th, 2019, 6:56 pm

well, if it worked before like that, it must be able to work again. can't help you with the hands on stuff from here though, sorry.

know all wanker
post #5 of 21 (permalink) Old May 5th, 2019, 7:11 pm Thread Starter

A little difficult to determine what is behind the no power to headlight when nothing matches up. I can confirm where the headlight socket wires go to on the harness but that doesn't line up with what I see in the high/low switch. And the wires from the high/low flasher go into the wire wrap bundle but don't show up at the connector. This is just too weird.

post #6 of 21 (permalink) Old May 5th, 2019, 7:40 pm

Garage
Doesn't the IE have a headlight relay? That would be my first point to check. Putting a bulb in that draws double of what the wiring and relay is designed for could've easily fried something

- 2002 998
- 1994 900SS-CR
post #7 of 21 (permalink) Old May 5th, 2019, 7:58 pm Thread Starter

Actually I don't think it does have a relay. There are only 2 relay looking pieces in the nose/cavity behind the headlight. One sounds like the fuel pump relay and the other says "Flasher" which I'm assuming is for the turn signals. Nothing else around there looks like a relay. The only other relay looking thing I can find is on the ECU under the seat. I'm thinking that has to do with the overall running of the bike.

As primitive as this bike is I'd be rather surprised if it had a relay for the headlight. Maybe another 900ssie guy knows better than I.

post #8 of 21 (permalink) Old May 5th, 2019, 9:29 pm
Excel Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by OnDonner&Blitzen View Post
As primitive as this bike is I'd be rather surprised if it had a relay for the headlight. Maybe another 900ssie guy knows better than I.
Definitely no relay for the lighting in a stock harness..

As per attached wiring diagram, the headlight wiring you are looking for is Brown, Yellow/black and white.
In the coloured diagram, I used bright green for white.
Brown to the switch common (which before a connector is yellow/red), then the other two for high and low from the switch.

This is for a 2001 with the A8 ECU, whereas yours will have the A0, however that does not affect the lighting or indeed most of the bike.
Attached Files
File Type: pdf 900SSie 2001 coloured wiring.pdf (794.3 KB, 8 views)

Richard Collins - 2001 900SSie I have a 2 strike policy - 2 no responses from a poster = no more responses from me to any post by them. I have a good memory!
post #9 of 21 (permalink) Old May 5th, 2019, 9:31 pm

Garage

This might help. Don't see a head light relay in the schematic. If there is no power at the headlight socket then trace back to where you do have power. The answer lies somewhere in between.

A connector may have gotten warm and melted enough to a) allow the terminal within to be pushed out of contact or b) deform enough to deny contact to the specific terminals within.

Alternatively, you could have a ground wire that has burned through at the connection point. IE, the wire could still be attached by the insulation but the wires where they were crimped have burned in half. Hope that helps some. BTW, what are you using to check for power?.....sean

Quote:
My garage: Twins:2000.5 Mille R, 2000 996, 1994 EX500 basket case 1993 900SS. Suzukis: 2004 GSXR600, 1992 GSXR750 oil boiler, 1983 XN-85 Turbo
post #10 of 21 (permalink) Old May 5th, 2019, 10:02 pm
Excel Addict

Also do not concern yourself with colours of the wires to the switch.

The switch will be something generic that is prewired with those colours and bear no impact on the colours in the harness.
The important thing is where the switch wires connect to in the connector.
Electricity does not care about insulation colours!

With a multimeter on 20Vdc, I would start at the fuse box to check for V into and out of the fuse.
Then brown at the connector to see if you still have V, then so on as per the coloured diagram.

You can also test the switch with the multimeter on resistance scale.
You will find the common, then in one switch position there will be zero resistance between common and one wire, then in the other position, infinite resistance.

Richard Collins - 2001 900SSie I have a 2 strike policy - 2 no responses from a poster = no more responses from me to any post by them. I have a good memory!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode