'99 900ssie Critical Headlight Wiring Issue - HELP! - Page 2 - Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #11 of 21 (permalink) Old May 6th, 2019, 7:19 am

Garage
And be warned - those blade fuses can fail, and still look OK. You have to actually electrically test them to be 100% sure they're OK. As in pull them out, and test across the terminals on the ohms setting.

'95 900 Superlight IV #064

Mods are: K&N filter, airbox lid on with rubber trumpets removed, MBP collets, full SMI (SilMoto Italia) spaghetti exhaust with 'open' carbon cans, 41mm FCR's - #182 mains!, Barnett alloy clutch basket, Oberon slave cylinder, Ohlins fork springs, Ohlins rear shock, Verlicchi swingarm.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #12 of 21 (permalink) Old May 7th, 2019, 11:57 am Thread Starter

Well I got it sorted out last night. Seems AMS sent me the wrong fusebox cover. This cover had the headlight circuit in a different place than it really was (is.) A bit of GIGO (garbage in garbage out) It was a blown fuse. Replaced the fuse and all is right again with the exception of... wait for it... the handle bar (clip-on really) controls. Seems I have forgotten how all the pieces go together. DUH!!!

Anyone have a photo of the inside of both halves of the left handle bar controls? That's all that's keeping me from having the bike street-able again.

Thank you too who were kind enough to offer help and suggestions.

Michael
Punch likes this.

06 Ducati ST3s (in the rebuild process)
'99 Ducati 900ss (literally bone stock w/8k miles)
post #13 of 21 (permalink) Old May 7th, 2019, 12:32 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by OnDonner&Blitzen View Post
Well I got it sorted out last night. Seems AMS sent me the wrong fusebox cover. This cover had the headlight circuit in a different place than it really was (is.) A bit of GIGO (garbage in garbage out) It was a blown fuse. Replaced the fuse and all is right again with the exception of... wait for it... the handle bar (clip-on really) controls. Seems I have forgotten how all the pieces go together. DUH!!!

Anyone have a photo of the inside of both halves of the left handle bar controls? That's all that's keeping me from having the bike street-able again.

Thank you too who were kind enough to offer help and suggestions.

Michael
If nobody responds before I get home I will take mine apart for you and post pics.

82 CM200T(Basket case), 04 DRZ 400SM (sold, best bike ever), 01 VFR800 (went kablooey), 09 Concours 14 (RIP - nobody needs coffee that badly), 15 Multistrada, 95 900SS

post #14 of 21 (permalink) Old May 7th, 2019, 4:49 pm Thread Starter

Oh, that would be great @Peevedkitten (I love your screen name. I'll bet there's a story behind it.)

Michael

post #15 of 21 (permalink) Old May 7th, 2019, 6:16 pm

Garage
Glad you got it sorted out. I have a switch that just came in the mail last night I can pop apart and take a picture in a few minutes. If Peevedkitten get it put up before me, I apologize for being tardy.....sean

Quote:
My garage: Twins:2000.5 Mille R, 2000 996, 1994 EX500 basket case 1993 900SS. Suzukis: 2004 GSXR600, 1992 GSXR750 oil boiler, 1983 XN-85 Turbo
post #16 of 21 (permalink) Old May 7th, 2019, 6:39 pm

Garage
pics of the cover inside

That's the top half, bottom half below

The bottom half is the turn signal section so I didn't go beyond the mechanism.......sean

Quote:
My garage: Twins:2000.5 Mille R, 2000 996, 1994 EX500 basket case 1993 900SS. Suzukis: 2004 GSXR600, 1992 GSXR750 oil boiler, 1983 XN-85 Turbo
post #17 of 21 (permalink) Old May 7th, 2019, 9:20 pm

I see Iwannaduc beat me to it and went deeper than I did. Here's what I took pics of tonight: https://imgur.com/gallery/RTnP3AA

Let me know if you need more pics.

Edit: I've used some variation of Madcat as my call sign for the past 25 years. It's gotten impossible to get Madcat as a forum name or game name of any kind, so I just use a variation now.

82 CM200T(Basket case), 04 DRZ 400SM (sold, best bike ever), 01 VFR800 (went kablooey), 09 Concours 14 (RIP - nobody needs coffee that badly), 15 Multistrada, 95 900SS
post #18 of 21 (permalink) Old May 8th, 2019, 12:52 pm Thread Starter

Got everything back together last night. And lucky me, I even had parts left over!! Seriously I do have a couple of pieces left over of which I think I will need to examine another control unit to determine where the 2 pieces go.

Now bike has a 55 watt Bi Zenon H4 HID. HUGE improvement over everything else I've tried. However the cutoff line on low beam is pretty crappy. I'm beginning to think the poor quality of the lighting is more a function of the reflector than anything else. Even when I had a conventional halogen bulb in the light, focus, beam spread, basically everything about it was abysmal.

I'll try a bit of adjusting but I think this is as good as it's going to get without doing MAJOR surgery to the headlight assembly.

Michael

P.S. Thanks again to all who helped on this. When I was unable to trace the issue I was seriously starting to freak just a bit.

post #19 of 21 (permalink) Old May 8th, 2019, 2:20 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by OnDonner&Blitzen View Post
Got everything back together last night. And lucky me, I even had parts left over!! Seriously I do have a couple of pieces left over of which I think I will need to examine another control unit to determine where the 2 pieces go.

Now bike has a 55 watt Bi Zenon H4 HID. HUGE improvement over everything else I've tried. However the cutoff line on low beam is pretty crappy. I'm beginning to think the poor quality of the lighting is more a function of the reflector than anything else. Even when I had a conventional halogen bulb in the light, focus, beam spread, basically everything about it was abysmal.

I'll try a bit of adjusting but I think this is as good as it's going to get without doing MAJOR surgery to the headlight assembly.

Michael

P.S. Thanks again to all who helped on this. When I was unable to trace the issue I was seriously starting to freak just a bit.
We've all been there! I owned only a bike for transportation for about 10 years. Maintenance on your only vehicle can be harrowing sometime.

I'm planning to re-wire the entire 900 eventually and replace the headlight. I may look around and see if I can come up with a drop in replacement assembly for the entire thing. It shouldn't be to difficult to find one the right size and just fab a new bracket or adapter for it. I'll document it all when I do it.

post #20 of 21 (permalink) Old May 8th, 2019, 8:22 pm
Prolific Poster Award

My memory is failing. I use my iPad or phone and take pics so I know how things go back together. The iPad is much better with the big screen pics. You can see a lot of detail. If that isnít handy Iíll draw a picture.

'96 Ducati SS900CR, '07 S4RS, '06 Busa, '77 Bonny,
'00 Superglide, '85 Sportster, '78 SR500
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode