Octane booster? - Page 2 - Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #11 of 21 (permalink) Old May 2nd, 2019, 12:43 pm Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by ducvet View Post
lol... my thoughts exactly

"Lucas Octane Booster - A Real Octane Booster! Tested and proven to deliver three times more boost than most other brands. Lucas Octane Booster is a GENUINE Performance Enhancer! It's safe for turbos, oxygen sensors and catalytic converters. Stops knocks, and raises MPG in high compression engines."

I think the misconception is thinking "boost" is = to a turbo, instead of simply additive (like ethanol) that allows you to run a higher compression (the part that makes more power) without detonating the motor to death. Literally changing your underwear has a greater chance of making your bike faster that that product, likewise for many "race fuels" . If the compression ratio is stock you have less than 10:1 and you could use some compression to need 87 octane.

If it is helping you might be better of trying some fuel system cleaners.
What is in this stuff? Is it ethanol? Does it actually raise the octane level? Im just curious...I wont use it and thanks again!

Ducati 1993 750ss/cr
The past: Honda 1000RR Fireblade F2 Yamaha R6 xj700 xs400 Suzuki GSXR600 Kaw 750 550
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #12 of 21 (permalink) Old May 2nd, 2019, 1:17 pm

Garage
It appears it is mostly stuff that does not burn as you would expect from something that's job it is to prevent detonation.

This is why fuel that is free from additives often makes more power than fuel that is doctored with additives as the power potential is less when you have less combustible material in the first place. If it was 100% combustible you would in theory have less un-burned by product which you would think would be a cleaner fuel.

Now if you NEED a higher octane due to high compression or poor head design then you have no choice. Each design will have its limits based on a desired reasonable power (oem) and then the desired/modified reasonable limit of the owner and then the often unreasonable / heavily modified limits that live on the edge of destruction where racers live.
Attached Files
File Type: pdf MSDS_Octane-Booster.pdf (121.6 KB, 18 views)
ifly65 likes this.
post #13 of 21 (permalink) Old May 2nd, 2019, 5:02 pm

Garage
booster...

To learn more about octane, go to sunocoracefuels.com, go to tech corner, read "beyond octane".

They should know.....

Fred
ifly65 likes this.

1996 SS/SP B52 40k miles
MBP collets / 748 front rotors / 4.5" rear wheel / Sharkskins / Nichols frame bolts

post #14 of 21 (permalink) Old May 3rd, 2019, 2:44 pm Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by FredSmoot23 View Post
To learn more about octane, go to sunocoracefuels.com, go to tech corner, read "beyond octane".

They should know.....

Fred
Thanks Fred...good info for sure!

Ducati 1993 750ss/cr
The past: Honda 1000RR Fireblade F2 Yamaha R6 xj700 xs400 Suzuki GSXR600 Kaw 750 550
post #15 of 21 (permalink) Old May 4th, 2019, 4:47 pm Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by ducvet View Post
It appears it is mostly stuff that does not burn as you would expect from something that's job it is to prevent detonation.

This is why fuel that is free from additives often makes more power than fuel that is doctored with additives as the power potential is less when you have less combustible material in the first place. If it was 100% combustible you would in theory have less un-burned by product which you would think would be a cleaner fuel.

Now if you NEED a higher octane due to high compression or poor head design then you have no choice. Each design will have its limits based on a desired reasonable power (oem) and then the desired/modified reasonable limit of the owner and then the often unreasonable / heavily modified limits that live on the edge of destruction where racers live.
Thanks ducvet! I am gaining a better understanding now. My friend who uses it has a limited race edition 2007 R1 (rare). He has had some work done to it and is running HP over 200 (according to him?).

Ducati 1993 750ss/cr
post #16 of 21 (permalink) Old May 4th, 2019, 5:04 pm Thread Starter

Does adding this crap make the specific gravity higher? Does it make fuel burn slower? I tried one bottle, then I had my issues. Im just wondering it this combined with my completely clogged fuel filter didn't help to contribute to my highway breakdowns by making the fuel burn slower, and by making my floats sit higher?

Am I reading too much?

Ducati 1993 750ss/cr
post #17 of 21 (permalink) Old May 4th, 2019, 6:40 pm
Prolific Poster Award

The main thing it does is make your wallet lighter. I guess thatís a little performance increase.

'96 Ducati SS900CR, '07 S4RS, '06 Busa, '77 Bonny,
'00 Superglide, '85 Sportster, '78 SR500
post #18 of 21 (permalink) Old May 5th, 2019, 12:46 pm Thread Starter

Ive read up but Im still wondering...does this stuff actually increase the octane or just act like it does?

Ducati 1993 750ss/cr
post #19 of 21 (permalink) Old May 5th, 2019, 5:27 pm

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by ifly65 View Post
Ive read up but Im still wondering...does this stuff actually increase the octane or just act like it does?
Honest question - how can it act like it does without actually doing it? If it lessens the tendacy to knock, it has increased the octane rating of the gas.

EDIT: I just read your earlier comment. Octane rating is not controlled by flame front speed. FWIW, slowing down the flame will make knock worse, not better.
ifly65 likes this.

-Craig
1991 851 Strada
post #20 of 21 (permalink) Old May 5th, 2019, 9:56 pm Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by DesmoDog View Post
Honest question - how can it act like it does without actually doing it? If it lessens the tendacy to knock, it has increased the octane rating of the gas.
Thanks DesmoDog, that makes sense.

Ducati 1993 750ss/cr
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode