Need to replace my head studs - Page 2 - Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #11 of 14 (permalink) Old May 12th, 2019, 9:49 pm

I replaced the studs on my '92 TWICE. Second time a stud was broken below the case interface so required a lot of time and money (about $US 900 in 1995) to repair it. So if you wait until it breaks you may be faced with it breaking in an inopportune spot and have a more expensive repair. However, they don't all break. So if I was going to have to take the motor apart for other reasons, I would replace the studs (and deal with the galley plug). Other than that I would just leave it alone and ride it.
PhilBoncer likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #12 of 14 (permalink) Old May 12th, 2019, 10:07 pm

It's a crapshoot how long they last. I'd probably leave them alone as long as none are broken (assuming you're not depending on it as your sole transportation to work, etc.). If/when a stud breaks, though, I'd suggest replacing them all as long as you're in there.

I bought an M900 new in 1993, and broke the first stud pretty much right away (horizontal cylinder, in 1995 at 19K miles). We didn't know yet this was a wider problem, so just replaced that one. Then a couple months later another one broke (also horizontal cylinder, at 22K), so we replaced them all (I thought). Due to a miscommunication, I thought that we had done all 8 studs then, but he just did them all on that cylinder. 16 years later (in 2011 at 196K miles), I got a base gasket leak in the vertical cylinder, and in repairing that, found that that cylinder still had the original studs, so replaced those then.

PhilB

1993 Ducati Monster M900, bought new, 265K miles, killed by minivan 30Oct17. 1995 M900, was ex-wife's bike, now mine again.
post #13 of 14 (permalink) Old May 12th, 2019, 10:13 pm
Prolific Poster Award

If a horizontal stud breaks, no engine removal needed. Maybe Iím lazy ( ok, yes I am lazy) but Iím not dropping the motor for the unbroken vertical studs. Iíll take the gamble.

'96 Ducati SS900CR, '07 S4RS, '06 Busa, '77 Bonny,
'00 Superglide, '85 Sportster, '78 SR500

post #14 of 14 (permalink) Old May 13th, 2019, 7:45 am

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by stoshmonster View Post
Well it's your bike so it's totally up to you how you spend your money Rennsportmotorrad but the general rule of thumb is if it ain't broke don't fix it.

That being said I'm with Duc96cr,I'm not knocking Nichols products here either,but there are cheaper alternatives that will do the job every bit as good.

California Cycleworks sells American Performance Engineering (APE) heavy duty cylinder head studs for the 900SS engine. APE heavy duty cylinder head studs are most commonly used in drag racing bike engines. These studs are $13.00 apiece,so basically $104.00 for the set of 8 that you'll need to replace them all.

Realistically our little 900SS engines only make a modest amount of horsepower in stock form. The APE heavy duty cylinder head studs should be much stronger than you'll ever need.

Click me.>>>Ca Cycleworks Cylinder Studs (each) | ca-cycleworks.com
Well just so you know I am one of those people that if I am going to fix a problem or just do preventive service I am not going to cry about the cost I do the repair correctly not cheep out and go to the hardware store to find something that may work --I am a BMW Motorcycle Master Certified Tech, so when I do something it is done as it should be or better-cost be damned

1991 Ducati 900ss, 1991 Ducati 907ie. 1978 Yamaha SR500, 1979 Yamaha RD400 Daytona Special, 1973 Truimph X-75, 1975 Triumph T-160, 1976 Triumph T140, BMW's too many to list
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode