Smoother low revs. - Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 82 (permalink) Old Apr 24th, 2019, 12:43 am Thread Starter

Garage
Smoother low revs.

What is the best way to make a '97 900SS more smoother at low revs?

When I use the bike to go to work I have to ride at the speed limits because of the camera's and 'traject controles' (you get timed between to camera's which are a few kilometers apart).

Max speed is then 70km/h (45miles/hour). When passing villages it's 50km/h (30miles/h).

So most of the time I'm in low revs and the SS doesn't like that. Especially not when lower than 3000 rpm.

Is there a way to get the bike run smoother at low revs? I've read good stuff about Ignitech ignitions. Would that help? Another thing that's been suggested is a larger rear sprocket (39 instead of 37) too make more revs at the same speed.

Any alternative solutions, suggestions or experiences are more than welcome!!

Thanks!!

1997 Ducati 900 SS Full Fairing
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 82 (permalink) Old Apr 24th, 2019, 6:58 am

definitely gearing. 14/37, 15/39, 15/40 will all help.

a well set up jet kit will help.

advancing the cam timing should help.

an ignitech may help, certainly takes the step out of the advance.

know all wanker
post #3 of 82 (permalink) Old Apr 24th, 2019, 7:04 am

The proper solution is to drop down a gear or two. That's why you have a transmission — to keep the engine rpm in the region where it develops enough torque to run smoothly.
Tripod likes this.

post #4 of 82 (permalink) Old Apr 24th, 2019, 7:05 am

Garage
What do you consider low rev's?

Belter is right in that the first thing should be gearing as these bikes do not really like sub 3500rpm's the gearing should help you be above this. You might also want to run a stock flywheel if you have a light one.
RockAZ, BelgianDuc900SS and ifly65 like this.
post #5 of 82 (permalink) Old Apr 24th, 2019, 8:15 am Thread Starter

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by belter View Post
definitely gearing. 14/37, 15/39, 15/40 will all help.

a well set up jet kit will help.
I'm using a stock 15/37 gearing now and I'm gonna switch to 15/39 to start from. Rear sprockets are not that expensive so I can easily change it again when I'm not happy with the result.
I have a Dynojet Stage 1 kit in the bike, along with a K&N filter in a stock airbox and open Bos-mufflers. Still working on finding the best setting for the carbs. I'm gonna book some dyne-time later this year (haven't got the time to do that right now)

Quote:
advancing the cam timing should help.
I'm afraid this goes beyond my technical knowledge.

Quote:
an ignitech may help, certainly takes the step out of the advance.
I've read some good reviews on that thing with people talking about a smoother running engine when the curve is set up correctly.

So I think an Ignitech and some different gearing will be my first option.

Thanks for the answer!

post #6 of 82 (permalink) Old Apr 24th, 2019, 8:18 am Thread Starter

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by ducvet View Post
What do you consider low rev's?

Belter is right in that the first thing should be gearing as these bikes do not really like sub 3500rpm's the gearing should help you be above this. You might also want to run a stock flywheel if you have a light one.
Flywheel is stock. And gearing will indeed be the first thing to try.
I'll try a 15/39 to start with an go from there.

post #7 of 82 (permalink) Old Apr 24th, 2019, 8:30 am Thread Starter

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Strega View Post
The proper solution is to drop down a gear or two. That's why you have a transmission — to keep the engine rpm in the region where it develops enough torque to run smoothly.
I was aware of that but thank you for reminding me!

But the reason why dropping a gear or two doesn't always help is that I should drive in first gear (at 30mi/h) through town at six a.m. over a cobblestone road.
Ever driven an 900 SS in first gear at 30mi/h over cobblestones? No? Be glad. I would not recommend it.

So yes, I know the SS is not a bike for low revs. And that is not a problem for me when I take the bike out to some backroads were I can ride it as it is supposed to be. That's also the main reason I bought this bike.
But it is a problem (or at least an annoyance) when using the bike to go to work. Which I don't do every day but when I do, I would like to do that as comfortable as possible.

That's why I was looking for a solution or some advice.

post #8 of 82 (permalink) Old Apr 24th, 2019, 9:43 am

Garage
You may even consider +3 in the rear if there is room in the chain adjustment. If not the best way would be to buy a 14 tooth front.

If you are putting all new chain and sprockets go +3 in the rear and cut the chain so the adjustment is forward of the middle of the range. This would allow you to go -2 later if you decide it is too much (I doubt it would be) and still have adjustment range. If you are NOT changing chain now you should be able to go +2 in the rear and fit or -1 in the front. front sprockets can be had for cheap $$ so many go this route, good for testing. The -1 front is about =2.5 rear so it gets you a close idea.
post #9 of 82 (permalink) Old Apr 24th, 2019, 12:12 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by BelgianDuc900SS View Post
Flywheel is stock. And gearing will indeed be the first thing to try.
I'll try a 15/39 to start with an go from there.
I went 15/39 on my SS and it made a HUGE difference in around-town ride-ability. You lose a few mph of top-end speed but for me it was a great tradeoff. No shuddering take-offs and first gear feels a lot less twitchy... I understand what you mean about the cobblestones, especially when they're wet! I had short stretch of loose gravel I needed to navigate every day and I would try have enough speed to just pull in the clutch and coast over it as the ass end would kick out pretty quickly with any throttle in first gear.
BelgianDuc900SS likes this.

'09 Multistrada 1100s
post #10 of 82 (permalink) Old Apr 24th, 2019, 2:29 pm
Prolific Poster Award

I almost never go on interstates with my SS, so I have found 15/41 perfect for back roads, including all the small town stop and go.
As far as making the bike run smoothly below 3000 , it can be done. You’ve already replaced the jet needles and emulsion tubes, they are the big wear items in the carb. Synchronize your carbs as best you can. Make sure your pilot jet is big enough. You might be able to use what you have, adjust the mixture screws ccw about 3 1/2 - 4 turns to start, adjust when we’ll warmed. With warm engine, air filter out, watch the diaphragm slides rise. They must rise together at lower rpm’s if the bike is going to run smoothly. If they don’t, check the diaphragms for leaks or damage, replace the o rings in the caps, and make sure the slides move freely. New plug wires and caps and plugs help the bike run smoothly. It’s old.
BelgianDuc900SS likes this.

'96 Ducati SS900CR, '07 S4RS, '06 Busa, '77 Bonny,
'00 Superglide, '85 Sportster, '78 SR500
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode