Smoother low revs. - Page 9 - Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #81 of 82 (permalink) Old May 16th, 2019, 8:20 am

Garage
As mentioned at some point it would be best for a couple reasons to do your gearing with the rear and return to a 15t front sprocket. Until then you should be fine with the 14t asd i have never changed a worn out chain slider due to running one. It was/is a common mod and though the SS never came factory with one it's not that different from some models that did.

If you start with a longer than oem shock so you have a steep swingarm angle and you run a 14t front the chain will rest on the top leading edge of the swingarm, until you sit on the bike. this is a common track setup and we still do not see increased wear from running these angle in part due to the slider gaining clearance as you use suspension travel.

On another smoothness note I am in the process of changing flywheels on a 1200 multistrada, the stock flywheel is almost 9 pounds! I think They were trying to make this bike smoother at those super low rpms figuring with the amount of power it has most riders will spend the majority of the time at sub 5000rpms. Bruce Meyers was hypothesizing that due to the super lean emmissions they may need the extra weight to keep them from stalling but the 1200 monster has a normal flywheel. That is a lot of weight to be slinging around outboard of the main bearings at high rpms. I am fitting up a slightly modified 4 pound flywheel as the customer was nervous of dropping to 2 lbs.

Makes you wonder if the majority of riders of big bikes seldom use the power why they want it so bad? I still find my air cooled motors to be just fine for road duty but then I do not live where speed limits don't matter and there are loooonnnngggg stretches of straight road.
BelgianDuc900SS likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #82 of 82 (permalink) Old May 16th, 2019, 11:50 am Thread Starter

Garage
I noticed the chain touching the chain guard on the swingarm but as you said, it seems okay when I sit on the bike. I don't have the longer SSie shock, just the stock one.
I might change the front sprocket back to a 15T but only when I have to replace the chain and right now it's nearly new.
For now I'm running a 14-37, when changing chain and sprockets I'll condider a 15-39 or 41.

But for now, I thought the best way to try a different gearing was by changing the front sprocket (no need for a longer chain). If I didn't like it, I just spend 20 instead of +100 on a new chain and sprockets.

I'll keep a close watch at the chain guard and make sure my chain is set to the correct tension.

I don't expect big problems but I'll keep an eye on things.

1997 Ducati 900 SS Full Fairing
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode