flywheel machining - Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 14 (permalink) Old Apr 20th, 2019, 8:42 am Thread Starter

Garage
flywheel machining

Wanting to trim some fat from my stock 900ss ie flywheel -- rather than go the aftermarket (reviews are mixed on the nichols and ssr), I'd like to machine down the stocker. Fast Frank no longer does it, and waiting to hear back from Ben at Fox Performance... any other options people would recommend?

"I push, and I push, and I'm happy with what comes out." - V. Rossi
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 14 (permalink) Old Apr 20th, 2019, 9:33 am

Got the one on my Hypermotard cut down factory flywheel from the DucPond.

2008 Hypermotard 1100S, 2004 Green Ducati.
post #3 of 14 (permalink) Old Apr 20th, 2019, 9:33 am

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by tangobravo View Post
Wanting to trim some fat from my stock 900ss ie flywheel -- rather than go the aftermarket (reviews are mixed on the nichols and ssr), I'd like to machine down the stocker. Fast Frank no longer does it, and waiting to hear back from Ben at Fox Performance... any other options people would recommend?
I hadn't heard anything bad about the Nichols until you just said it here.

1994 900 SS/CR
2017 939 Supersport S
It's Italian. If I can get it to start, it'll win.

post #4 of 14 (permalink) Old Apr 20th, 2019, 9:47 am Thread Starter

Garage
https://www.ducati.ms/forums/57-supe...r-stories.html

"I push, and I push, and I'm happy with what comes out." - V. Rossi
post #5 of 14 (permalink) Old Apr 20th, 2019, 11:45 am
SP3
Prolific Poster Award

I machined one years ago. I think I removed 300g from near the periphery. I never got to install it on my Monster; another guy bought it. I heard back from him only once and that he 'liked it'.

'91 851 SP3, '66 250 Monza, '99 Monster 900 City, '98 ST2
'99 Monster 750 (slowly disappearing bit by bit), '67 Wards Riverside 250 (fate tbd).
post #6 of 14 (permalink) Old Apr 20th, 2019, 1:49 pm

Garage
I have a local machinst turn mine down so if you hand it to a skilled lathe operator and tell them where not to cut you should be fine. I have the 900 ie versions reduced from 4 down to 2 lbs.

Nichols is the best of the aluminum flywheels but I have seen them fail as well, if you want the lightest they are your best option. A steel flywheel turned down will not get as light as aluminum but it will never fail. If you go super light you also need to keep your bike tuned as the motor has less mass to keep the motor turning at idle. A 748 build on my dyno right now has its idle turned up because we went very light on the crank,flywheel (Nichols),gears. pretty much anything that spins. if I try and get it to idle near stock idle it will stall more often than a normal motor because it has less inertia to keep it running.

Stock flywheel turned down should be 100% reliable and at 1/2 the weight you should not have any issues with idle. Best bang for the buck mod.
Full_Spectrum likes this.
post #7 of 14 (permalink) Old Apr 20th, 2019, 9:03 pm

I went thru Ben at Fox performance, and maybe I caught him on a bad day but I chalked it up to the cranky machinist syndrome, and he did everything as advertised. I haven't actually installed it yet, since I just took my bike out of winter storage today.
I currently have a Nichols and damn I love the way it revs, but yes, it too is a cranky bastard. Loves to stall, and my starter is starting to sh*t itself(I have a rebuilt starter sitting on the shelf, right beside the turned down stocker flywheel), so starting can be cranky. Although she fired up pretty damn fast after being under a tarp for 6 months.
Anyways, I am looking forward to getting this installed, and I'll sell you a Nichols in a few weeks for cheap if you want it! lol.
post #8 of 14 (permalink) Old Apr 20th, 2019, 9:27 pm

it's a pretty easy machining job, just cut it down to 120mm od and 12mm thick. makes them about 850 grams.

the std cranks are about 4.5kg, plus the alt rotor so 1kg off the flywheel is still not a huge % change. the reduced diameter probably makes the biggest difference on a machined std one.

more ignition advance is the best way to stop them stalling at idle, if you can.

know all wanker
post #9 of 14 (permalink) Old Apr 21st, 2019, 10:22 am

Garage
The Op has a injected bike so not timing changes on that one.

I have not seen starter or starting issues with a Nichols flywheel other than the increased chance you will be doing it from stalling. The 748 on the dyno would be fine if i bumped the idle a couple hundred rpms but some bikes (carbys) do not like that and the idle will hang up if too high. Running a superlight flywheel can be done but the bike just needs to be kept in tune and if it is out just a bit you have increased stalling issues.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	20190415_151923.jpg
Views:	38
Size:	2.40 MB
ID:	941269  
post #10 of 14 (permalink) Old Apr 21st, 2019, 11:27 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by ducvet View Post
The Op has a injected bike so not timing changes on that one.
if you put more advance in to the map at idle it will help with the stalling a lot.

know all wanker
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode