Fuel pump issues '93 750ss? - Page 2 - Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #11 of 130 (permalink) Old Apr 17th, 2019, 2:27 pm Thread Starter

Ive been searching with no luck. I thought I saw a post on here showing how to remove the fuel filter from inside the tank. Does anyone know where this post is?

Thanks!

Ducati 1993 750ss/cr
The past: Honda 1000RR Fireblade F2 Yamaha R6 xj700 xs400 Suzuki GSXR600 Kaw 750 550
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #12 of 130 (permalink) Old Apr 17th, 2019, 2:57 pm

Garage
I think there are a couple of posts, and I did find a YouTube video once. It's pretty straight forward, run all the gas out of the tank by removing either the external filter (during Ducvets test) or the hose after the "Y" connector and run it into a gas can by flipping the key on without starting it.

Get the cap off, mind the tiny socket head screws and don't back them all the way out if you can help it.

The filter can be seen easily once you have that out of the way. The pump is snapped into a pair of metal clips, have to loosen the hose clamps. The pick up filter "screen" is snapped into the bottom of the pump.

It's a good time to really look close at the condition of the interior paint - and the submersed hoses. I would go ahead and replace the hoses with the right type since it's so old, and the filter sock too.

Putting the O-ring back on with the little screws can be frustrating but take it slow doing only a little bit at a time with small plastic tools as well as a little bit of lube (I used K&N filter lube because I had some).

1991 900SS
1995 900SS SP #746

Last edited by RockAZ; Apr 17th, 2019 at 3:12 pm.
post #13 of 130 (permalink) Old Apr 17th, 2019, 9:38 pm

Garage
If you are still having issues with the disassembly, I can take some photos tomorrow. I got mine apart at the moment.

- 2002 998
- 1994 900SS-CR

post #14 of 130 (permalink) Old Apr 17th, 2019, 9:51 pm Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lelebebbel View Post
If you are still having issues with the disassembly, I can take some photos tomorrow. I got mine apart at the moment.
That would be great Lelebebbel! I wont be able to do this until the weekend. I really appreciate it. Ive never worked in a gas tank.

Im also confused as to what parts I would need. Ill research a bunch. I know I need gas friendly hoses.

Thanks!

Ducati 1993 750ss/cr
The past: Honda 1000RR Fireblade F2 Yamaha R6 xj700 xs400 Suzuki GSXR600 Kaw 750 550

Last edited by ifly65; Apr 17th, 2019 at 10:11 pm.
post #15 of 130 (permalink) Old Apr 17th, 2019, 10:05 pm Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by RockAZ View Post
I think there are a couple of posts, and I did find a YouTube video once. It's pretty straight forward, run all the gas out of the tank by removing either the external filter (during Ducvets test) or the hose after the "Y" connector and run it into a gas can by flipping the key on without starting it.

Get the cap off, mind the tiny socket head screws and don't back them all the way out if you can help it.

The filter can be seen easily once you have that out of the way. The pump is snapped into a pair of metal clips, have to loosen the hose clamps. The pick up filter "screen" is snapped into the bottom of the pump.

It's a good time to really look close at the condition of the interior paint - and the submersed hoses. I would go ahead and replace the hoses with the right type since it's so old, and the filter sock too.

Putting the O-ring back on with the little screws can be frustrating but take it slow doing only a little bit at a time with small plastic tools as well as a little bit of lube (I used K&N filter lube because I had some).
Once again thanks for the great info RockAZ! It makes me feel a lot better working on my first Ducati, with you guys helping. I love working on bikes and I don't want to take this to a shop.

Im guessing this is going to be a tank rebuild? How does the pump come out after I remove the clips? Please don't say through the bottom...

Any tips on where to get the parts (Omaha)? and what parts I need would be great.

There were some corrosion spots inside the tank. Im sure compared to a new tank, it looks bad. I was expecting worse though, like flaking or bad rust. Im still trying to wrap my head around rusty clamps inside a tank that is full of fuel feed items....wow.

Ill dig into the sand in my tank this weekend.

Ducati 1993 750ss/cr
post #16 of 130 (permalink) Old Apr 17th, 2019, 10:15 pm Thread Starter

This filter was put on before I purchased the bike. Ill do what you said Ducvet and pull it off. So you guys never run two filters on a carby?
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	20190417_132439.jpg
Views:	24
Size:	2.29 MB
ID:	940993   Click image for larger version

Name:	20190417_132457.jpg
Views:	21
Size:	2.16 MB
ID:	940995  

Ducati 1993 750ss/cr
post #17 of 130 (permalink) Old Apr 17th, 2019, 10:31 pm Thread Starter

I know if they were an issue, Ducvet would have mentioned it, but Im really surprised fuel pumps don't go out more often since they run all the time...especially these older ones that have sat for years.

Ducati 1993 750ss/cr
post #18 of 130 (permalink) Old Apr 17th, 2019, 10:38 pm Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by RockAZ View Post

What then if its bad? Ill take pics to show you.

Ducati 1993 750ss/cr
post #19 of 130 (permalink) Old Apr 18th, 2019, 12:10 am

Garage
Don't worry too much, old Ducatis are both simple and sturdy. That external filter looks fine based on the color but maybe it is a little restrictive (ie: designed for 14-16psi instead of 2-3psi pressure) for use on a racetrack or the way you ride, so if it's clogged or too restrictive you can replace it for less than two bucks with a larger generic inline one from any auto parts store.

Fuel pumps on the these old girls only need about 3psi to get the game on, not much will mess them up since they are such low power - as long as sticky or crunchy stuff doesn't get into the system they will last longer than my heart with my love of cheese and pasta.

But rust flakes are bad, that is what you are looking for. So, take some pics once you have it opened, don't smoke while you are doing it!

1991 900SS
1995 900SS SP #746

Last edited by RockAZ; Apr 18th, 2019 at 12:46 am.
post #20 of 130 (permalink) Old Apr 18th, 2019, 12:15 am

Garage
Once you have the gas cap assembly out the hole in the tank is surprisingly large, easy enough to put one hand in with a stubby short phillips or nut driver and unscrew the hoses clamps to yank the tiny pump out. You will see, I have old school cell phone chargers that are larger than the pump.

Clips? Um, thin "U" shaped pieces of metal that a round barrel shaped pump fit into with a mild amount of pressure?

See the loose rust flakes in the bottom of the tank looking like the rotting fender on your great grandads Model T discarded out in the south 40 acres of his farm? Yeah, you got some more work to do so see what you've got first before digging into what is involved in fixing that kind of problem. Spots of ugly rust on the walls of the tank are sadly not too unusual and eventually they will be a problem but that could be many thousands of miles down the road for you. If the bike has been ridden in the last five years, you likely have nothing to be concerned about. It is a very good sign that the previous owner put that external filter on, they knew what they were doing, and yes I currently have two filters on one bike and the other has no in tank filter anymore - just the external one I can easily see when it needs changed. They both have new pick up screens on the pumps.

So something seems to be clicking inside the tank, you have potential gas delivery symptoms - don't delay finding out the cause of that noise, those are not normal.

1991 900SS
1995 900SS SP #746

Last edited by RockAZ; Apr 18th, 2019 at 1:00 am.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode