Picking up a '95 900SS Sunday - Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 37 (permalink) Old Apr 12th, 2019, 12:34 am Thread Starter

Picking up a '95 900SS Sunday

So I recently had a longtime friend decide to sell me his 900SS for a song. I have a bit of history with this bike as I've done some routine maintenance on it for him. He's always kept it garaged and clean, but it has sat for quite a long time. It needs some work, and a good cleaning. I just joined the Ducati family back in October after riding for 20+ years and am looking forward to taking this on as a bit of a resto project. My wife is an absolutely rabid Ducati nut and also my right hand in the shop. She's already shopping for parts and the few tools we don't have.

So far my known issues are:
Fork seals are shot
Clutch needs to be replaced
Belts need to be replaced
It should probably get a valve job
Complete fluid flush
New tires
Anything else I find
Tank will need to be flushed
Carbs may need to be rebuilt (he said he drained them)
Seat is completely thrashed
Preventative headlight re-wiring (from what I'm reading here)

Cosmetically I think it's a solid 6, but I remember a damaged windscreen and a small crack on the tail fairing. I'm not in any rush and will be slowly restoring it and riding alongside my Multi with the wife. I've been reading about the issues that are common and will keep an eye out once it's in my shop.

Any tips or advice are greatly appreciated! we'll try to remember and take pictures.
jimmyjojo likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 37 (permalink) Old Apr 12th, 2019, 7:42 am
Prolific Poster Award

Congrats and good luck with it. You might want to consider an upgrade on the starter and battery wires to help cranking. Be careful not to turn the starter post and damage it. Clean all the electrical connectors and grounds ( one is by the brake pedal ) . Idle circuit in the carbs is prone to plugging, so if it runs use some carb cleaner on it.

'96 Ducati SS900CR, '07 S4RS, '06 Busa, '77 Bonny,
'00 Superglide, '85 Sportster, '78 SR500
post #3 of 37 (permalink) Old Apr 12th, 2019, 7:47 am

Garage
Great to see another one on its way to a good home, also good to see it will be a team effort. Sounds like you may need to find your own bike after the wife finishes HER Ducati.

post #4 of 37 (permalink) Old Apr 12th, 2019, 10:35 am

Garage
Congrats, and good luck with it!

Depending on how long it sat, you could have more than just the fork seals to need replacing. You won't know until you start exercising everything that has sat unmoving, unlubricated and stiffened up. Fork seals, clutch slave seal. clutch/brake master seals some to mind. I wouldn't hurt to give the wheel bearings a look, just in case, and give the steering head bearings a check for looseness or ratcheting.

1994 900 SS/CR
2017 939 Supersport S
It's Italian. If I can get it to start, it'll win.
post #5 of 37 (permalink) Old Apr 12th, 2019, 2:48 pm

Congrats. Hope its on the road and up the 1 soon.

I'd recommend digging into the carbs. A rebuild kit with various o-rings and gaskets is readily available but the BDST38 diaphragms seem to be harder to come by. I believe emulsion tubes and needles also wear out.

'96 900SS/CR;'94 Honda NSR250R/SP; '93 NSR250R/SE; '02 Yamaha WR426; '07 Aprilia RXV450
post #6 of 37 (permalink) Old Apr 12th, 2019, 3:06 pm

Just sold mine and before I take the money I'm having the carbs redone. Means taking them off and shipping them as I'm not going to attempt it here. Took an alarm clock apart once as still remember springs and gears going everywhere. I'm sending them on to [email protected] at customcarbservices.com. Was a recommended provider on this site and his response and the $250 price is super for the situation. Good luck with yours!

1995 900 SS SP #001
post #7 of 37 (permalink) Old Apr 12th, 2019, 4:28 pm Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Racer117 View Post
Congrats. Hope its on the road and up the 1 soon.

I'd recommend digging into the carbs. A rebuild kit with various o-rings and gaskets is readily available but the BDST38 diaphragms seem to be harder to come by. I believe emulsion tubes and needles also wear out.
I think he had them rebuilt not long before it was parked so I'm hoping they won't be to bad.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Finally home View Post
Just sold mine and before I take the money I'm having the carbs redone. Means taking them off and shipping them as I'm not going to attempt it here. Took an alarm clock apart once as still remember springs and gears going everywhere. I'm sending them on to [email protected] at customcarbservices.com. Was a recommended provider on this site and his response and the $250 price is super for the situation. Good luck with yours!

Haha, I know how that is. Rebuilding the carbs shouldn't be an issue. Good to know if something is up I can have them serviced though.

82 CM200T(Basket case), 04 DRZ 400SM (sold, best bike ever), 01 VFR800 (went kablooey), 09 Concours 14 (RIP - nobody needs coffee that badly), 15 Multistrada, 95 900SS
post #8 of 37 (permalink) Old Apr 12th, 2019, 4:33 pm

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Finally home View Post
I'm sending them on to [email protected] at customcarbservices.com. Was a recommended provider on this site and his response and the $250 price is super for the situation. Good luck with yours!
You will not be disappointed with custom carb services. He did up my carbs for my project bike and they look brand new now. If you saw what they looked like when he received them compared to what I got back, you'd think a minor miracle had ocurred....sean

Quote:
My garage: Twins:2000.5 Mille R, 2000 996, 1994 EX500 basket case 1993 900SS. Suzukis: 2004 GSXR600, 1992 GSXR750 oil boiler, 1983 XN-85 Turbo
post #9 of 37 (permalink) Old Apr 13th, 2019, 8:55 am

Garage
Carb diaphragms are available new from dellortoshop.com in the Netherlands. They ship everywhere. If the original parts are in any way stiff, or difficult to keep in place when you put the plastic lids on them, get some new ones. My stock carbs didn't work right until I did. Of course a year later I got some FCRs anyway....

- 2002 998
- 1994 900SS-CR
post #10 of 37 (permalink) Old Apr 13th, 2019, 9:35 am

Garage
Quote:
Of course a year later I got some FCRs anyway....
And...........let the peer pressure begin..........
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode