Picking up a '95 900SS Sunday - Page 8 - Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #71 of 75 (permalink) Old Jun 14th, 2019, 11:43 pm Thread Starter

The rear fell off!

We got some shop time tonight and got the rear end off. We'll drop the motor tomorrow and then pull the forks. After that we can clean the frame up, degrease the motor and start looking at putting things back together!

Picking it up:

Swingarm off, 1/2 an inch thick road grime and an o-ring in there from somewhere:

82 CM200T(Basket case), 04 DRZ 400SM (sold, best bike ever), 01 VFR800 (went kablooey), 09 Concours 14 (RIP - nobody needs coffee that badly), 15 Multistrada, 95 900SS
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #72 of 75 (permalink) Old Jun 15th, 2019, 9:36 am

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peevedkitten View Post
... Swingarm off, 1/2 an inch thick road grime and an o-ring in there from somewhere:
Makes a fella want to muster knots on the noggin of the neglecter! At least a few co-co bumps on his bone dome!

My dirt bikes didn't even get that bad.

Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Brian and his 1974 175MX race bike and trophies-1.jpg
Views:	6
Size:	238.2 KB
ID:	945973  
ifly65 likes this.

Never Quit, Die Falling Forward
1996 900 CR. ... LOW ZOOT
post #73 of 75 (permalink) Old Jun 15th, 2019, 6:31 pm

Garage
Damn that is nasty gotta clean up that smegma

1991 Ducati 900ss, 1991 Ducati 907ie. 1978 Yamaha SR500, 1979 Yamaha RD400 Daytona Special, 1973 Truimph X-75, 1975 Triumph T-160, 1976 Triumph T140, BMW's too many to list

post #74 of 75 (permalink) Old Jun 15th, 2019, 10:16 pm Thread Starter

Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by rennsportmotorrad View Post
Damn that is nasty gotta clean up that smegma
On it! We fought the beast and have ripped it's heart out!

I'll grab some degreaser tomorrow and we'll start cleaning it up. I'd love to pressure wash it, but there are to many seals and points of entry. We'll just take our time and do it right. Also before anyone yells at me, it's sitting on high density foam blocks.
ifly65 likes this.

82 CM200T(Basket case), 04 DRZ 400SM (sold, best bike ever), 01 VFR800 (went kablooey), 09 Concours 14 (RIP - nobody needs coffee that badly), 15 Multistrada, 95 900SS
post #75 of 75 (permalink) Old Jun 22nd, 2019, 10:46 pm

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Peevedkitten View Post
Swingarm off, 1/2 an inch thick road grime and an o-ring in there from somewhere:
That looks quite a bit like mine did!! I used a putty knife to scrape out the bigger chunks of stuff. Then I got an old tooth brush and a can of mineral spirits (paint thinner) and went to town scrubbing as well as I could.

Since you have the swing arm off, I would encourage you to inspect it very closely for cracks. I've read on this very forum about cracks around the shock mount. I've also seen pictures of a cracked pivot pinch. In my own experience with buying an old Supersport, I found my aluminum swing arm to be cracked right at the pivot point.

Where the solid cast piece meets the rectangular tube of the swing arm. Right on the welds. Invisible with the bike sitting there, or even with the swing arm off. It took removal of the chain slider and a trip through a steam cleaner to find the cracks in mine.

It was cracked across both the top and bottom welds as well as down inside weld that is hidden by the engine. I thought I'd stumbled on something but found out from a fellow forum member that his had cracked in the exact same manner and place as mine did.

It isn't something that is easy to find, specially when the entire area is covered in old flung off chain lube like the counter shaft area in your pic. Apparently though, it is more common than I'd originally thought.

Do a search for posts by T8KC and take a look at the engine stand he uses. It's simple and effective. I made one inspired by his and it's been a huge help. Alternatively, another member welded up some square tube and fabbed an adapter to mount to a standard automotive engine stand.

My engine was also filthy due to the leaking front forks. Suspension fluid coated most of it, and of course dirt and dust stick to that so it was a real mess. I've cleaned it, cleaned it again and am still cleaning crap out of it.

I had to make myself a small "shovel" out an old coping saw blade because there was so much garbage stuck in the fins of the horizontal cylinder. I literally shoveled dirt and gravel out of the top fins on it for an hour or more. Still haven't gotten all of it out either. Even found a wayward roll pin stuck in between the fins. I dunno if came from the bike or was just kicked up by the front tire.

The swing arm has since been welded. Removing the swing arm bearings was a huge PITA. I've detailed how to do that in a thread in the "Mechanical Techl" section of the forum. It's in the Hall of Wisdom sub forum should you find yourself facing that dilemma.

I've looked at mine several times and thought it would be soooo much easier to just soak the thing down in simple green and blast away with my pressure washer. And it would be....if I didn't care about getting water into everything. So, it's back to using the miniature shovel I made, and a toothbrush with some mineral spirits to get things clean enough to maybe one day use some simple green to clean it up and spray some fresh paint on the parts that need it.

Keep up the great work getting that thing clean and serviced.....sean

Quote:
My garage: Twins:2000.5 Mille R, 2000 996, 1994 EX500 basket case 1993 900SS. Suzukis: 2004 GSXR600, 1992 GSXR750 oil boiler, 1983 XN-85 Turbo
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode