Picking up a '95 900SS Sunday - Page 5 - Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #41 of 48 (permalink) Old Apr 24th, 2019, 10:48 pm

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Peevedkitten View Post
Good to know on the belts. We will just go ahead and do them while we're in there, not worth the risk.

Any recommended threads/guides/kits for stud replacement? I wasn't planning on taking the heads off, can it be done with them on?
There is a bunch of threads here about replacing the studs - just search 'replacing studs'. It's a popular subject... But it's also one of those "If it ain't broke, don't fix it" cases, because it's a curse of a job to do.

https://www.ducati.ms/forums/57-supe...-breakage.html

https://www.ducati.ms/forums/57-supe...ml#post6063073 - has links to 3 other threads on replacing studs.

One of the things to check with the studs is whether they have a letter stamped on the end - my OEM (now replaced) studs had a 'M' (or a 'W' depending on orientation) stamped on them.

One consideration for your front end upgrades - a heavier linear spring will make the front of the bike ride significantly higher, which will make it steer like a barge... The cheap fix is a SSie rear shock, which is a bit longer than the carbie one - or else the afore mentioned Ohlins (which has a ride height adjuster), or any other ride height adjustable unit, to raise the rear height, and bring the turn-in back to what it should be.

One thing you may want to consider is upgrading the silly filament dash lights to LED - so you can see them in the daylight... This thread will help - https://www.ducati.ms/forums/57-supe...-95-900ss.html

'95 900 Superlight IV #064

Mods are: K&N filter, airbox lid on with rubber trumpets removed, MBP collets, full SMI (SilMoto Italia) spaghetti exhaust with 'open' carbon cans, 41mm FCR's - #182 mains!, Barnett alloy clutch basket, Oberon slave cylinder, Ohlins fork springs, Ohlins rear shock, Verlicchi swingarm.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #42 of 48 (permalink) Old Apr 25th, 2019, 11:33 am Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by steveb64 View Post
There is a bunch of threads here about replacing the studs - just search 'replacing studs'. It's a popular subject... But it's also one of those "If it ain't broke, don't fix it" cases, because it's a curse of a job to do.

https://www.ducati.ms/forums/57-supe...-breakage.html

https://www.ducati.ms/forums/57-supe...ml#post6063073 - has links to 3 other threads on replacing studs.

One of the things to check with the studs is whether they have a letter stamped on the end - my OEM (now replaced) studs had a 'M' (or a 'W' depending on orientation) stamped on them.

One consideration for your front end upgrades - a heavier linear spring will make the front of the bike ride significantly higher, which will make it steer like a barge... The cheap fix is a SSie rear shock, which is a bit longer than the carbie one - or else the afore mentioned Ohlins (which has a ride height adjuster), or any other ride height adjustable unit, to raise the rear height, and bring the turn-in back to what it should be.

One thing you may want to consider is upgrading the silly filament dash lights to LED - so you can see them in the daylight... This thread will help - https://www.ducati.ms/forums/57-supe...-95-900ss.html
We will check the studs, but I'm not in a huge rush on it. If I don't have to remove the heads I'm not going to. Thanks for the links, I will definitely check out the LED dash upgrades.

As for work on the bike; We pretty much have the shop completely re-done. I've started working on restoring the carbon fiber cans because I have the materials on hand already to do that. I cracked the lid on the carbs and immediately closed them back up. I'll need new diaphragms for both carbs unfortunately, along with complete gasket rebuild kits. It was expected, but it's still disappointing.

I expect we'll be stalled out for a bit on the 900 while we wait for funds. We're still waiting on the car to sell. In the mean time, we've just been cleaning it repeatedly. Some parts of the bike are just caked in grime and grease that's been there for years it seems. We'll get there eventually, we're focusing more on a resto and less on mods for the most part.

82 CM200T(Basket case), 04 DRZ 400SM (sold, best bike ever), 01 VFR800 (went kablooey), 09 Concours 14 (RIP - nobody needs coffee that badly), 15 Multistrada, 95 900SS
post #43 of 48 (permalink) Old May 5th, 2019, 1:44 pm Thread Starter

Some progress

Ok, so I've gotten a few things done. The shop is finally usable again. We had just remodeled our living room and it was an absolute disaster. My daily now has a nice spot and the 900 is enshrined in it's own little maintenance spot right beside the beer tap!

As far as bike progress I finished restoring one of the carbon fiber cans. I went with a satin finish exhaust clear coat, I like the finish a lot more in person than on camera. I though I would share some pics. I wasn't super concerned about the banding since the can will go back in the same spot.

In other news I raided the couch cushions and full gasket kits and new diaphragms for the carbs have been ordered. When they show up I'll clean & rebuild the carbs. Then I'll probably fit them and rig up an aux tank for a test fire. I haven't gotten a straight answer on when he last cranked and ran it. We'll see how it goes and I'll shoot some video!

82 CM200T(Basket case), 04 DRZ 400SM (sold, best bike ever), 01 VFR800 (went kablooey), 09 Concours 14 (RIP - nobody needs coffee that badly), 15 Multistrada, 95 900SS

post #44 of 48 (permalink) Old May 6th, 2019, 10:58 am

This all looks GREAT mate. Youll probably get back to putting the carbs on before I do......if you could post some pics of the hose setup that would be a great service to the 900ss carby community. I don't know why, but I haven't been able to find a single diagram that shows every hose in and out of the carbs.
post #45 of 48 (permalink) Old May 6th, 2019, 12:53 pm

The cans look good. What prep did you do to them before painting? What brand of paint and where did you pick it up? Much thanks.

'96 900SS/CR;'94 Honda NSR250R/SP; '93 NSR250R/SE; '02 Yamaha WR426; '07 Aprilia RXV450
post #46 of 48 (permalink) Old May 6th, 2019, 1:21 pm

Love SS build threads, subscribed.

'06 999s
'03 SS 1000 (Sold)
post #47 of 48 (permalink) Old May 6th, 2019, 1:29 pm Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Racer117 View Post
The cans look good. What prep did you do to them before painting? What brand of paint and where did you pick it up? Much thanks.
So, work on the cans is as follows:
  • De grease and clean
  • Sand down can with 400 grit sandpaper - focus on any pitting or blems, but make absolutely sure not to penetrate the clearcoat
  • Filled pitting with Duralco™ 4460 epoxy
  • Sand epoxied area's until they match with the surrounding clearcoat (ie are smooth and indistinguishable when running your hand over it)

Code:
    Repeat 4-5x:
    Clean any dust/residue
    Spray with high temp clear coat - light coat
    Bake on per instructions
    Sand with 1200-1500 grit in between coats to remove any pooling or runs
    Return to repeat
  • Finishing sand with 1200 grit then 1500 grit
  • Use a buffer and rubbing compound to remove any fine scratches and marks left by sanding
  • Use polishing compound to finish the can off
  • wipe any lasting residue off and you're done!
Install cans!

The clearcoat I'm using is the high temp satin finish from Autozone.

post #48 of 48 (permalink) Old May 11th, 2019, 9:51 pm Thread Starter

Carb parts are here

The carb parts showed up today. I'm going to start working on them tonight. I'm more excited than I expected to be honestly.

The wife has Ok'd a number of future projects and plans involving Ducati's, but I'm not sure if I want to delve into all of those plans just yet. I just wanted to take a moment and mention her impact on this project.

I was not a Ducati fan before I bought my multi, I wanted a Triumph Tiger. She talked me into the multi and after riding the bike, I can honestly say I'm a fan. I've ridden this 900 before but never as my own bike. Having put a few thousand miles down on the Multi I'm sold. I've ridden every make of bike from Aprilia to Yamaha and the Multi just puts this stupid grin on my face I can't explain. My wife and I are in agreement that we need more of that in our lives.

I'm off to help my wonderful wife dye her hair blue now...

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode